6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0L Oil Filter - Can Only Motorcraft Be Used?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
6.0L Oil Filter - Can Only Motorcraft Be Used?

OK... now before anyone jumps on me for starting this thread... bare with me so I can explain.

I drive a 2003 Excursion with the 6.0L motor. The diesel supplement book that came with my owners manual (September 2002 printing) states on page 43 that under oil filters... "Use this filter only"... and that it shows it as an FL-2016 and no Ford spec to find any equivalant.

Does this mean that Ford (right from their manual) only demands Motorcraft oil filters and to use FL-2016 and that they have not released any "specs" to make an equivalent available?

Isn't there some law or judicial ruling that is a car company demands only their filters or something like that they have to pay for them....(what is exact ruling or wording)? Seems that Ford, as published in their supplement only wants me (us) to use a FL-2016 oil filter and that no equivalant or ford spec is provided... so how can an aftermarket filter be used if no spec is provided?

As soon as I post this message, I am emailing one of the mods an email of this diesel supplement I have scanned and hopefully they can post into this thread for me. I have also just added it to my gallery (last group). If you click on it, you can read the page I am questioning and asking questions about.

What is interesting, is that they say to use only an authorized Motorcraft air filter or an equivalant (and they give a Ford spec)... and in big bold letters "FAILURE TO USE THE CORRECT AIR FILTER MAY RESULT IN SEVERE DAMAGE." However, they say nothing about oil filters... except that no equivalent one is shown... so I guess none exist... but they do for air filters?

If Ford is stating to use only Motorcraft oil filters... shouldn't they at least give me the filter free (isn't that the warranty rule) if I am forced to only use Motorcraft as stated in their diesel supplement?

This thread is not about good or bad filters, but what is Ford stating or saying when no Ford Spec is available for the oil filter... is it... one has to only use Motorcraft???

Please advise... becuase I think it raises a very important and serious question for us all to discuss... not flame the poster (me)!!! Anyone now what the law in regarding a car company mandating (forcing) their own brand in order to maintain warranty coverage?

p.s. - What is interesting that there is no mention or chart showing or discussing fuel filters... except on page 26 and 27 about changing filters or draining the HFCM and is gives the Ford fuel filter number, but says nothing of spec or equivalant... at least in my 9/2002 printing of the diesel supplement??

Jeff

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 02-04-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:49 PM
MD11Drvr
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the service amnager tell me the same thing when I bought my truck 7 mos. ago. I called my Brother-in-law who works for a International dealer and is familiar with the 7.3 and 6.0 and according to him there was a problem with the 7.3 after market filter and the cap. An after amrket filter required an after market cap. He said this was not the case with 6.0 liter. I bought a Ford filter and a fram from Walmart took a caliper to them and could not see any differnce and even counted the folds in the paper element. Even the Patent # and made in Germany was same, But I can assure one was much more money than the other. I have used 2 frams from wallyworld and have had no problems. Hope this helps and I hope i am right so I will keep up with this post to see what the experts say..................

Old 02-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
I agree... Fram and Racor... and RACOR makes Motorcraft, but why would Ford write in their diesel supplement manual to only use their filter and no spec given?

If I buy a Fram or Racor for that matter, can Ford deny coverage? How would they know if the filters (all made by Racor) look the same right down to the lableing? But what about oil filters made by Champion labs and others... how are they making oil filters for the 6.0L motor if no spec is given? What spec are they using to make their filters compatible?

Interesting question???

Old 02-04-2006, 08:32 PM
MD11Drvr
Junior User
Yea good questions and I am not sure. I am only familiar with the Fram and it was impossible for me to see any differnce. I can tell you my wallet tells the differnce though. After the Mobil 1 and the filter its still kills the better part of 100.00 bucks....

Old 02-04-2006, 11:07 PM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Once again I gaurantee the WIX Filter media is as good or better than the MOTORCRAFT/Racor setup. Any manufacturer states to only use there brand stuff, but, when in question if they deny a claim they cannot back it up. This is where us MODDERS best friend comes, the Magnusson-Moss Act. The beaty of the act is the manufacturer must prove that the AFTERMARKET accessory caused the failure. But, when it comes down to maintenance items the dealer may not deny or void a warranty because you did not use a OE filter or maintenance item. If you ever have a dealer tell you that, immediately tell them you want that in writing, I haurantee they will not do it. If they do it they are asking for a major lawsuit!

Old 02-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
I am not debating if WIX or any aftermarket filter is good or bad... I am asking the following question(s) only:

1) Why does the diesel supplement for 2003 - 2005 say to "ONLY USE MOTORCRAFT OIL FILTERS"? See my gallery for a copy of actual supplement.

2) Why does Ford not list a spec for aftermarket oil filters? They have them for coolant, oil and air... but not oil or fuel??

3) If no spec is given, then what spec are aftermarket companies making 6.0L PSD oil and fuel filters too?

Three simple and relevant questions worth asking... that's all.

What is the law or rule I am trying to think of that if a manufacture requires only their products in order to maintain their warranty.... I am remembering it correctly.... isn't there a remedy????

p.s. - I use Fram in my wifes Lexas and I do not worry about it... but does this "issue" that I have uncovered in my diesel supplement book from Ford the reason for some people's problems... I do not know either and I am sure no one on this board has an answer... just opinions... but I wanted to ask as it is relevant to recent discussions.

Last edited by Beachbumcook; 02-04-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:45 PM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
If you use Fram in anything but a weedeater I don't have no further comment.......

Old 02-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
If you use Fram in anything but a weedeater I don't have no further comment.......
My weedeater doesn't use an oil filter... it's a 2-stroke.

Darn... no further comment from you... this is all I had to say... that I use Fram... would have said it sooner (ha,ha).

As I posted above... what is the rule or law that offers some sort of remedy for manufactures that force one to use their products (only) to maintain coverage???? Can't find it in Magnum-Moss... but I know I read or heard it somewhere.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Btravelen
Elder User
Originally Posted by MD11Drvr
I had the service amnager tell me the same thing when I bought my truck 7 mos. ago. I called my Brother-in-law who works for a International dealer and is familiar with the 7.3 and 6.0 and according to him there was a problem with the 7.3 after market filter and the cap. An after amrket filter required an after market cap. He said this was not the case with 6.0 liter. I bought a Ford filter and a fram from Walmart took a caliper to them and could not see any differnce and even counted the folds in the paper element. Even the Patent # and made in Germany was same, But I can assure one was much more money than the other. I have used 2 frams from wallyworld and have had no problems. Hope this helps and I hope i am right so I will keep up with this post to see what the experts say..................
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
Now, I haven't compared them, but the MD11drvr said the filters were near IDENTICAL. Seems that the Frams may come from Racor, or their German source.

If WIX is manufacturing to their own specs and fricked them up so that they needed to redesign them for a minor change, I think the Fram would be the better choice.

I'm going to run Racors 'cause they're OEM and a bit less than the Motorcrafts. Since now I know the Frams so close, I may run one in a pinch.

MD11Drver, thanks for the info, and don't hold your breath for many "experts" around here. You'll find as you read through somma this stuff around here that expertise is rare and opinions are plentiful.

Last edited by Btravelen; 02-05-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:33 AM
50jd60
Senior User
Wally world has motorcraft filters for 19.00 and some change, they also have Autolite filters for 14.00 and some change, both Patent # are the same, both are shrink wraped and both have to 0 ring, has the snap things on them to snap in the cap and both made in Germany.

Just one more thing, wasn't autolite a Ford thing at one time or is it still Ford.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:33 AM
blazeone
Junior User
FYI, I ordered a case of Motorcraft filters online from AutoZone for $11.95 each and free shipping.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Originally Posted by blazeone
FYI, I ordered a case of Motorcraft filters online from AutoZone for $11.95 each and free shipping.
Was this a special they had or an everyday price if buying a case??

My local auto parts store sells the Motorcraft for $19.95/ea and since I only need one every 5,000 miles, I just buy 1 at a time as needed... but $11.95/ea is a great savings!!! Way to score!!!

Back to the thread topic however.... I would like to discuss the diesel supplement and what is says and the warranty rule about a manufacture mandating their own brand of filters. Again, the question is... why does Ford say to only use Motorcraft and why is there no equivalant spec for it should one choose to use another brand (Yes, Racor is the OEM manufacture for Motorcraft and it seems also Fram due to printing on the filter). I would run Racor as they are OEM and no one could ever tell the difference!!!

Since we have some WIX distributors on this site, they are obviously in favor of WIX brand and that is fine, but I started this thread to discuss the diesel supplement and the lack of an equivalant spec.... and if no spec, then what spec are others making their filters to... seems like none exist. There is no spec for oil or fuel for that matter.. hence the reason I started this thread... not to discuss which brand is better or not, but the spec.

Seems like someone would be able to call WIX and get a spec or paperwork... call Ford and ask if they know who to call and due to the potential volitilityof this thread, I do not mean the ole... "I called my friend... who has a friend...that is a Ford engineer and he said...."

Old 02-05-2006, 09:31 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
IF you guys had seen the aftermath of people using FRAM filters, such as the internals of the filters completely collapsing and so forth let alone cutting one apart and seeing what a joke they really are. On out counter at work, we have a FRAM, Putolator, and a WiX cut apart to demonstrate the quality differences. The Purolator and Wix are neck and neck, but, the fram is a flat out joke that I wouldn't run on anything. As far as the weedeater comment, I know they don't have filters and thats why I used it as an example FRAM IS NOTHING BUT JUNK GUYS!

Old 02-05-2006, 09:36 AM
blazeone
Junior User
Opp's I got mixed up, my bad. They were $19.95 each but the shipping was free to my door so it was convienent.

Last edited by blazeone; 02-05-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:38 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
As Quoted from KNFILTERS.com

Dear K&N Consumer:

K&N Engineering, Inc., is informed that some automobile dealers and manufacturers are telling their customers that the factory warranty on their motor vehicles is “void,” if an original equipment (OE) replacement air filter, manufactured by K&N, has been installed on their vehicles. K&N finds such instances disturbing, and while it does not purport to give legal advice, K&N would like to refer you to the federal Consumer Product Warranties law, often referred to as the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which states, in part, in Title 15, United States Code, Section 2302, subdivision (c), as follows:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the [Federal Trade] Commission if –

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.”

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer. K&N is unaware of any exemption or waiver granted by the FTC to any motor vehicle manufacturer, which pertains to air filters or oil filters.

K&N interprets this law to also prohibit the motor vehicle manufacturer from restricting your use of a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, etc. K&N’s interpretation of this law is consistent with the interpretation given it by the FTC, the government agency responsible for the interpretation and enforcement of this federal law.

The rules and regulations adopted by the FTC, to govern the interpretation and enforcement of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 16 - Commercial Practices, Chapter I - Federal Trade Commission, Subchapter G - Rules, Regulations, Statements and Interpretations Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Part 700 - Interpretations Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Contained within these rules and regulations is Section 700.10, which states, in relevant part (with specific language highlighted by K&N), as follows:

“(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such "unauthorized" articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.”

We think this FTC rule is pretty clear and unambiguous. Please note that the FTC requires the “warrantor” (this would, generally, be your motor vehicle manufacturer) to “demonstrate” that the defect in or damage to your vehicle was caused by your installation or use of a K&N air or oil filter, or other “unauthorized” part, before a warranty claim can be denied. We contend that this requires credible proof as to the cause of a failure and not merely your dealer’s guess, speculation or unfounded opinion as to the cause.

Therefore, K&N considers any threat to void your factory warranty, or the actual voiding of your factory warranty, solely for the installation of a K&N replacement air filter or oil filter, to be a violation of federal law.

The foregoing addresses only your rights and protection under federal law. Of course, you may have greater rights under the consumer warranty laws applicable in your state.

If you have encountered a motor vehicle dealer, who has failed and refused to “demonstrate” or prove, as federal law requires, that your K&N air filter necessitated a repair for which warranty coverage has been denied, or a manufacturer, who refuses to perform warranty repairs on your vehicle, merely because you have installed a K&N replacement air filter or based on inaccurate information from your dealer, then we ask that you request that the dealer or manufacturer set forth, in writing, the warranty denial, together with a written statement as to the specific reasons for the denial of warranty repairs, and that you send a copy of this written statement to K&N. We also ask that you direct your dealer and manufacturer to the federal law quoted above. While K&N cannot act as your legal advocate or assume responsibility for enforcing your warranty rights under state and federal law, we will write to the dealership and to your motor vehicle manufacturer and insist that they provide a legal basis for their position. We have been successful in numerous instances in challenging the conclusions of dealerships and convincing manufacturers that the denial of warranty repairs was improper, which has resulted in letters of apology from dealers and reimbursements by dealers or manufacturers to consumers for those repairs.

In addition to any informal action K&N may take, you should consult an attorney and various state and federal agencies, who may be able to assist you in protecting and enforcing your warranty rights, if you encounter a motor vehicle dealer’s or manufacturer’s refusal to honor your motor vehicle warranty.

Please keep in mind that a motor vehicle dealer is, generally, not the “warrantor” of your vehicle. Your dealer may be assisting you as much as possible in getting the manufacturer to cover repairs of your vehicle under warranty, but the factory may still refuse to cover the repairs. If this happens, then there may be nothing further that the dealership can do, and it should not be blamed for the actions of your vehicle’s warrantor. A dealership’s control over the approval of a warranty repair is usually limited to properly diagnosing and reporting the cause of the repair. K&N only takes issue with those dealerships who advise consumers that the mere installation of a K&N air filter on a vehicle “voids” the factory warranty, or they convey to the manufacturer an unsubstantiated opinion or conclusion that a K&N air filter caused an engine or component failure, without any objective proof to support such a statement, which results in the denial of a legitimate warranty repair.

Sincerely,

STEVE ROGERS,
President & CEO
K&N Engineering, Inc.

Quick Reply: 6.0L Oil Filter - Can Only Motorcraft Be Used?