Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Broke threaded part of FPR housing off

Old 02-03-2006, 08:30 PM
eiznekcm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke threaded part of FPR housing off

You know when you get in a hurry to get done and you skip to the next step before you get done with what your doing? That's what happened. I was tightening the FPR return line down and Thinking of what else I had to do to finish Kwick's orifice mod when I heard a little snap sound. Thats right, it broke. Fitting on the line now has the threaded part of the housing stuck inside it. What do I do now?
That was two nights ago. I thought about it for a while and came up with an idea. It took a couple of hours, but now I have an adjustable FPR using the stock housing. I took pictures while I was doing it, but I am not sure how to post them. I am going to try to put them in my gallery.
This will be more clear with the pictures.
First I removed the 2 screws that hold the housing on. Then I took the guts and laid them aside.
I drilled the housing out with my drill press to 7/16 and tapped it to 1/4 female NPT.
I put a 1/4 MPT nipple in it and then threaded a 90 elbow on there. The elbow is flat on the sides.
I then drilled a hole acrossed from the FPR housing and tapped it to 10-24 threads.
I took a 2 inch 10-24 screw and chucked it into my drill press. Using a file I cut the last 1/4 inch down until the FPR spring would slide on it. I squared the shoulder up so the spring would not ride up on it.
I threaded the screw into the elbow and slid the spring and poppet valve on the end and put the FPR housing back on the fuel bowl. Much easier this way because I unscrewed the adjuster screw until the was no pressure on the spring. (No more thumb Areobics)
Before I started, I checked to see where the spring fit in the housing so I would have a starting point for the adjuster screw. I dont have a fuel pressure guage yet so I tried to get the screw to hit the spring in about the same spot as the original housing.
So far it seems to be going well.
I have another post talking about some other problems I have found. Thought it might be the IDM, but I think I just have dirty (fouled) injectors.
Also Kwick, That orifice mod makes a big difference when trying to prime the system after pulling the injectors. Thanks for sharing it.
I figure if this starts leaking or something I'll just go to Ford and get a new FPR housing.
Craig

Old 02-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For some reason your pictures aren't showing in the Gallery.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:36 PM
eiznekcm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picture are in gallery

Sorry it took so long. That is the first gallery I've set up. I think it took longer to do that than to fix my mess up on the FPR.
Craig