Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

Truck Tags, Insurance, GVW, Missouri ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 10:39 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck Tags, Insurance, GVW, Missouri ???

OK, Kansas boy living in MO now. Want to find an old beater to spare my restored 65 any damage.

Looking for something that will have minimal insurance and registration cost, as I will drive it very little.

Anyhow, in KS, you can pick up insurance on a 1 ton flatbed for next to nothing. What's the deal here in MO? Anyone know what the smallest truck/bed configuration I can have that will cost me less here in MO?

I live on 10 acres in Platte Co (north of KC), and I think I can technically even get a farm tag. Or at least I would be able to in KS.

Like I said, looking for a beater to park out under the trees and just be there when needed. But I need to decide how to minimize insurance and tag costs, which add up to more than the cost of the truck over time. Someone have some experience here?

Thanks.....

Old 02-03-2006, 06:04 PM
KCSport
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best thing I could tell you is go up and ask. They'll know better than anyone.

Old 02-04-2006, 04:24 AM
crazy4ford
New User
Originally Posted by cdherman
OK, Kansas boy living in MO now. Want to find an old beater to spare my restored 65 any damage.

Looking for something that will have minimal insurance and registration cost, as I will drive it very little.

Anyhow, in KS, you can pick up insurance on a 1 ton flatbed for next to nothing. What's the deal here in MO? Anyone know what the smallest truck/bed configuration I can have that will cost me less here in MO?

I live on 10 acres in Platte Co (north of KC), and I think I can technically even get a farm tag. Or at least I would be able to in KS.

Like I said, looking for a beater to park out under the trees and just be there when needed. But I need to decide how to minimize insurance and tag costs, which add up to more than the cost of the truck over time. Someone have some experience here?

Thanks.....
Companies are different. So are their prices. You may find that one company wants to charge you $1000/month for insurance and another will only charge you $400/month. You might be one of the lucky ones who only gets charged $30/month. Regardless of who you are, call multiple carriers even if the first quote you get appears to be low. You may find another company with a lower rate for you. try checking http://www.insurance-quote-free.com they provide complete quotes from insurance companies and see how they price.

best of luck,
jend

Old 02-04-2006, 07:22 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Jend to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 AM
JCPSME
Senior User
Pickups get truck tags and that's all you should need. If you go with heavier tags, I think it's 10k and over, you end up getting pulled over for DOT issues. Unless you do commercial hauling or get something over a 1 ton truck just stick with the basic truck tag.
Jeff