General Automotive Discussion

Dad, what happens if you put diesel in a gas car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Baja Daze
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AYORK3177
How did they manage that? The nozzle on diesel pump is larger so it wont fit in the filler hole on an unleaded vehicle. Did the truck stop running and they assumed they made the mistake?
Damn near every station I go to the diesel nozzle is no larger than the gasoline nozzles. At truck stops, yes they are larger, but the corner gas station, chances are they're all the same size.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:09 AM
equium
Elder User
Originally Posted by 94_turbo
well--some of you may flame me--but if it was mine--with that low a concentration--id mist a little ether to it to get it to start--the dsl may be setting on the bottom--and needs just a little help to get started--after starts--id go down the road bouncing the steering wheel back and forth a few times to get it to mix--then run it till at least fully warm--would think it should start after that as the concentration is so low--
I'll take the flame from you. Case closed everyone. After reading these posts and talking with MY mechanic, I drove the gal to her explorer armed with a can of starting fluid. A couple of squirts and the engine fired right up. The only smoke was from burning off the staring fluid. After that, you couldn't even tell there was any diesel in the mix. A couple of times while we were sitting there waiting for it to warm up, I thought it died but it was just running smooth and quiet. It took me longer to put the stupid air cleaner assembly back together than it did to start the damn thing. lol. I followed her home for about 8 miles and no trouble. Thanks again for all the posts.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:27 AM
balddave
Freshman User
It's not hard to empty the tank if thats the route you want to go. Just jump the fuel pump relay and disconnect the fuel supply hose to the fuel rail. connect some hose to it and have the cars fuel pump do all the work. May have to have the car turned on(not running) to do this.

Good luck

Old 02-03-2006, 09:30 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if u can flush it leave whats in the lines. we use a little deisel with the fuel every once in awhile. its like a dam good cleaner

Matt

Old 02-03-2006, 10:47 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
With fuel injection, the surface tension of diesel is so much higher than gas that it's gonna be REAL hard to force that diesel through the injectors.

I know you said you don't have the time, but here's my take:

Open up the schrader valve on the fuel rail, hook up a hose and run it into a LARGE container(s). Disconnect the intertia switch and feed +12V right to the fuel pump.

Drain everything out that you can. If you can't get fuel out of the fuel rail with the fuel pump running, remove the fuel filter, leave the line from the tank hanging in a container, and drain everything from there. Install new fuel filter. Then try to drain from the fuel rail. If you still can't get fuel from there, disconnect the fuel line to the fuel rail, and try to drain from there. Who knows, the fuel regulator might not let diesel pass either.

After you get fresh gas from the fuel rail, reconnect everything and see if it runs. You might even have to take off the injectors to flush them out with gas to get the diesel out of them.

Good luck.

PS: Fuel injection and diesel is much harder to fix than a carburator.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:06 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you turn the key on can you hear the fuel pump whine? Might have a pump that just died at this bad time. I should run with the mix in the tank? If you get it started, i would run it on the highway to burn the diesel out as much as possable. Might have plug foul issues if driven in city. (ASK me how i know)

Dave P.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:10 AM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm wondering if they tried to run it before they added gas to it. Sometimes kids omit parts of the story. If the fuel system is full of straight diesel, it won't run. But 4 gallons of diesel w/ 14 gallons of gas should run OK, but a bit smokey. Or possibly the diesel, being at the bottom of the tank, get pulled up before it had a chance to mix enough. My son's band director filled a diesel truck up with gasoline. That wasn't good...