Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Banks Power Elbow????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 11:40 AM
mtgrzlyman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Power Elbow????

the shop where i got my exhaust said that i should consider the banks power elbow and the wheel. Are there 2 wheels in the turbo or just the intake side wheel? what is the pupose in this setup?

Old 02-02-2006, 12:33 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
There is a compressor wheel (Intake) and a turbo wheel (Exhaust goes thru, this is the drive turbine). The power elbow requires the Banks downpipe because it is a larger diameter. It gets rid of your EBP valve on the outlet housing, opens up the diameter and has a batter shape for airflow. I run one, but I am not convinced it makes a noticable change. I also run banks compressor wheel. The purpose is to allow free-er flowing exhaust and more boost...and it makes the turbo a good bit louder to boot...lol. The power elbow is not a fun install, it took me and 2 other guys the better part of 6 hours in an Excursion..and we were sweating it bad! I kept shattering the 5/16 Craftsman sockets on the EBPV housing trying to get it apart. I ended up welding a socket back together and tack welding it to the heads of the 12 point bolts. I ground it off and welded it to the next one. It sucked.

If your mechanicly inclined and have a good shop set-up you can get it done no matter how hard, if your in your driveway with a simple set of tools...it could turn out ugly. You do need to remove the turbo, at least I did...I saw no way to really get it done in the truck (I know it has been done without removing the turbo....God bless you poor guys that did that...).

Old 02-02-2006, 12:33 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
On after thought...I think they were 7/16" sockets....not that it matters....

Old 02-02-2006, 12:44 PM
mtgrzlyman
Elder User
will it still start fine in the cold? i was quoted 200 to install the wheel elbow and down pipe

Old 02-02-2006, 12:57 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
It starts just fine. No change. I would jump ALL OVER that $200 install!!!!!

Old 02-02-2006, 02:38 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
I would have paid the 200 bucks for frdtruckpullers truck to be done! That sucked! I had bruses all over my chest and stomach from that experience. Thx again Larry. We sell that stuff and tell everyone the same thing. Its a nice piece if you have a freind doing it lol. Then again they may not stay friends long. hehe

Old 02-02-2006, 04:34 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
If I were changing the compressor wheel and outlet...I would never leave the stock housing on. You can do the Banks housing/wheel/outlet at the same time and ask your mechanic for a deal on the entire job. Its not much more work to swap housings...

Here is the description on the Banks housing:
Quick-Turbo housing
Banks developed the Quick-Turbo in conjunction with the Holset turbocharger and major diesel-engine companies, to eliminate sluggishness "out of the hole" and produce strong acceleration. Quick-Turbo produces massive torque right from idle, achieves a higher peak faster, maintains more boost through the powerband, and doesn't over-boost. Picture of the housing/wheel kit..

The picture below shows stock wheel on the left:

Notice the 5 large/agressive main vanes on the banks unit on the right? That things hooks into some air! Same as a wickwed-wheel...

As for the power elbow...
Banks Power Elbow Assembly

Remove the final restriction to power

Banks Power Elbow assembly slashes the stock outlet and pipe backpressure by 40%. Available separately or with Banks 4-inch Monster Exhaust. Includes: Cast, large-bore elbow housing; Stainless, 3.5" Monster T.O.P. turbine-outlet pipe with ceramic-matrix heat shield; Mounting hardware; Comprehensive Owner's Installation Manual.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:07 PM
mtgrzlyman
Elder User
now guys will i get turbo surge or stall with this setup, thanks larry you had very good info for me i appreciate it

Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Dude...this will make stall something you think back on and wonder if it was real...or just something you imagined. I tow a 13,500 lb trailer with my 7.3 Excursion with this stuff. I use a lvl 4 big Hoss chip and a 6-gun tuner on lvl 6 WHILE towing. I have guages and I am straight piped. My EGT's are not an issue, I would be willing to remove my EGT guage and I would still pull my trailer.

I have a 30' bumper pull trailer 3,500 lbs
79 F-250 pulling truck 5,800 lbs
2,200 lbs of tractor weights
a 4x4x8 shed built on the trailer that I have a generator, compressor, 4 spare tires, 4 ton floor jack, and every hand tool and air tool you could ever want for.
I pull a heavy load, and trust me I pull it hard! Stall....surge.....nope.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the wicked wheel is all you need to eliminate the surge problems. the larger turbine housing and the power elbow are just to improve flow on the top end, for less backpressure, which means more power with less boost (restriction). the "quickturbo" exhaust turbine housing is 1.00A/R, correct?