Bio-diesel OK for turbo diesel applications?

Old 02-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Michael Sizemore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bio-diesel OK for turbo diesel applications?

I'm very new to the idea of bio-diesel, but I am intersted in making it myself.

What is the best bio-diesel newbie guide?

Is there any reason why it wouldn;t be good in a turbo'd diesel?

Also, is there any Ford diesel that would better handle bio-diesel?

I am actually toying with the notion of locating a newer diesel engine for my 1973 F100. I had been thinking of going with a 390 FE motor, but I seen a wrecked late model F350, which gave me the idea of going with a diesel instead. The 240 inline 6 is leaving the engine bay wither way, and I know of a few guys that make it locally that can help me get started...

So I figured I'd bring it up here in the forum...

If it works out good, might even try to wedge one in the expedition later on down the road...

Thanks all!

Old 02-02-2006, 12:19 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Sizemore
I'm very new to the idea of bio-diesel, but I am intersted in making it myself.

Is there any reason why it wouldn;t be good in a turbo'd diesel?

Also, is there any Ford diesel that would better handle bio-diesel?

I am actually toying with the notion of locating a newer diesel engine for my 1973 F100. I had been thinking of going with a 390 FE motor, but I seen a wrecked late model F350, which gave me the idea of going with a diesel instead. The 240 inline 6 is leaving the engine bay wither way, and I know of a few guys that make it locally that can help me get started...

So I figured I'd bring it up here in the forum...

If it works out good, might even try to wedge one in the expedition later on down the road...

Thanks all!
THE place to start is : http://www.biodieselcommunity.org
There are quite a few of us brewing biodiesel here, and all are willing to help new people. Biodiesel works in ANY diesel with no mods at all, you will have to change fuel filters once or twice because bio will "deslime" the whole fuel system. If the diesel engine is OLDER than a 1990 you will have to change the rubber fuel lines, Biodiesel will soften rubber lines. Research the previous post's in this forum for info, then ask lot's of questions.FABMANDELUX.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Adding to the first request for info

What would be the initial cost of setting up the processing unit for making 15-30 (max) gallons of bio diesel per week?

I was going through material/products online and it seems that the target is to make a ton of bio diesel per week. But I am wondering what about people who clock 150-300(max) miles per week? I ‘am sure they don’t require setting up a unit that costs 5K! It is just not economical. Well let’s just say that I have not dug deep enough yet but still, any pointers for "intial unit set-up cost" for making 15-30 gallons of bio-diesel per week?

Old 02-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE=Michael Sizemore]I'm very new to the idea of bio-diesel, but I am intersted in making it myself.

QUOTE]

Sorry I just added my own request along with your forms/requests. It‘s just that I didn’t want to start a new form since your and my requests are almost certain to head in same direction.

Old 02-02-2006, 02:53 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Vijay
What would be the initial cost of setting up the processing unit for making 15-30 (max) gallons of bio diesel per week?

I was going through material/products online and it seems that the target is to make a ton of bio diesel per week. But I am wondering what about people who clock 150-300(max) miles per week? I ‘am sure they don’t require setting up a unit that costs 5K! It is just not economical. Well let’s just say that I have not dug deep enough yet but still, any pointers for "intial unit set-up cost" for making 15-30 gallons of bio-diesel per week?
I've only got about $50 in my system, BUT I have a well stocked "bone-yard" and a well equip'd shop. If you follow the link you will find info on the "appleseed" processer. Most people use this system. You can buy a kit for about $500, or you can build with "scrounged" parts for $100 to $200. Stay away from the "fuelmieser" Over priced, and junk IMHO. If you want to see what I use you can look in my gallery.FABMANDELUX.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 PM
elbow300
New User
I notice in your gallery you don't have a cone bottom tank. what do you use for your separation...before the cyclone gets crackin?

Old 02-20-2006, 09:25 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by elbow300
I notice in your gallery you don't have a cone bottom tank. what do you use for your separation...before the cyclone gets crackin?
Normally I leave the Whole thing in the mix barrels overnight. Then the next day I pump the bio off the top. But when I do 250 gal at a time thats 10 30 gal barrels to work around ! This is why I'm working with the hydrocyclone. The solution goes right into the hydro from the mix tank thus no more 10 barrels overnight. I'm real encuraged with this, even at the reduced flow it seems to remove alot more soap and slime with the glycerol. Will have the new pump this week and will run another batch soon. FABMANDELUX.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 PM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Waste products

Hi, I have been doin the diesel thing for about 2 years now and have been looking into the bio-diesel fuel recently.(currantly drive a "99 f350 PSD and a 05 Jeep liberty crd) What does one do with all the waste products, soap, glycerol, WVO plastic jugs and anything else I might have missed? Thanks in advance. I live in rual north central Ohio. We have a distributer nearby that sells bio but I would like to make my own.

Last edited by DISLFVR; 03-09-2006 at 07:06 PM. Reason: should be a new post
Old 03-17-2006, 12:12 AM
92-B4000
Freshman User
Im just curious how much does the distributor of the bio charge?