1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

brake line help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:29 PM
mackman107
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
brake line help

have a 94 ranger with a brake line leak next to the gas tank can't see well in side rail looks like it runs from the master cylinder to the rear looked all over were do you get one all so is there some kind of special tool or procedure to bleeding the brakes thankx

Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Dan Robertson
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can purchase replacement brake lines in various lengths and diameters. They are made out of steel. (Do not use copper tubing and do not use compression fittings as they are not safe and probably wont pass a safety inspection) You can even get them that are ceramic coated if you choose. You will also need to get your hands on a double flaring tool and some brass fittings. You can cut out the damaged portion with a tubing cutter, put the fittings in place and then double flare the ends of the lines that you cut off. If you have never used a flaring tool, you will probably want to buy some extra tubing and practice first. I usually don't bother to take the old rusted piece out, especially if it is in a difficult location like yours sounds to be. I just leave it where it is and choose another route. Just make sure that it is secured well and is not too close to the exhaust or drive shaft etc. If you have never bled brakes before, you might want to consider getting some help. It is quite a chore to do alone anyway unless you have a brake bleeding tool. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 PM
mackman107
Junior User
thankx dan

Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 AM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Everything that he said.

I have noticed whenever I have a brake line failure, the rest in that part of the system aren't far behind. And brake lines and fittings are pretty cheap. So while you are under the truck consider rerunning from the master cylinder all the way back. For the bends, try using old belt pulleys, or something of the type to avoid kinking the lines.