Sponsored by: DP Tuner

First Day of Diesel Tech I!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:45 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First Day of Diesel Tech I!!

Today we switched semesters, and that meant new classes for me. lucky for me, i have one class (Survey of Amer. Lit/Comp.) and then i travel to the Career and Tech Center for Diesel Tech I. This class is awesome, there is so much for me to learn, i cant wait. i take this class (Diesel I) for the rest of this year and then take Diesel II for the first half of Senior Year. The instructor is REALLY cool, he drives a fire truck for a local volunteer fire company, and he is bringing it in one day and letting us play. The shop is huge, for 15 people in my class, including me. Caterpillar has a heavy influence on the program, so there is alot of yellow in the shop. there are at least a dozen engines sitting around on stands, from old Detroit 6V92's to modern 600 horsepower Cat's. the program is more than studying a diesel engine, here is the list of subjects we go over:
Shop Safety
Intro To diesel engines
Tools & fasteners
Principles of Operation
Engine Recondition
Lubrication System
Cooling System
Air Systems
Diesel Fuels
Fuel Systems
Governors and Controls
Multiple Plunger Injection Pump
Distributor Injection Pumps
Unit Injector Pumps
Cummins Pressure-time Injector system

Personal Work ethic
safety habits
organization
behavior,etc

This class has a very heavy influence in professionalism, and trying to be very meticulous. he is trying to get us ready for the industry (however i am not persuing this as a career, just gaining knowledge and possibly take repair up as a side job) and we have to complete repair orders after every job, from oil changes to complete overhauls.

He said he was looking for a powerstroke in need of a rebuild, so we could mess with one. The instructor was trying to get a "used up" PSD from the transportation dept. of the county. i told him that my dad has previously volunteered our 95 f-superduty in dire need of attention for the class. it would be nice to take that truck in and pull the engine, complete disassembly, measure and blue print the engine, and rebuild as necessary. i have some big plans for it. the instructor also allowes me to bring my truck in if we have some spare time and i am able to work on it. there is also an engine dyno in a seperate room. this place has it ALL!

i am so STOKED about this class, i just had to tell my diesel buddies. i have already impressed the instructor in just a few ways today, mentioning about my powerstroke's dead end fuel system, HEUI injectors, and how jet fuel is basically #2 with less lubricity. i also wore my www.blackclouddiesel.com shirt and he loved it.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:03 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool. That will be a fun class to attend.

Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
.........i am so STOKED about this class, i just had to tell my diesel buddies. i have already impressed the instructor in just a few ways today, mentioning about my powerstroke's dead end fuel system, HEUI injectors, and how jet fuel is basically #2 with less lubricity.........
Sounds like a great class and I'm sure you will enjoy it. It's frightening though, with what you already have under your belt, watch out.... your head may explode with all the additional knowledge before the end of the semester!

Old 01-30-2006, 08:55 PM
ryaneverk2
Postmaster
Sure wish my high school would've had classes like that to take. Sounds like a great class, enjoy!

Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I wish I would have had something like that when I was in HS. The closest thing we had was Small Engine Repair.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:19 PM
powrstrkn'
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What school do you go to?

Old 01-30-2006, 09:29 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Francis Scott Key. Yes the guy who wrote the Star Spangled Banner lived in Keymar, about a mile from my girlfriend's house. That is in Carroll County. The actual Tech center is adjacent to Westminster High.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Yeah, I'm jealous. Learn all you can, that sounds like a great school to attend.
I had to learn it all on a lawn mower engine.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Yeah, I'm jealous. Learn all you can, that sounds like a great school to attend.
I had to learn it all on a lawn mower engine.
Hey Kwik, My riding lawn mower is making a funny noise...................... lol

Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Learn all you can, wish I would have had your drive when I was younger! Just promise you will keep sharing your knowledge with guys like me. I'm either working or spending time with my kids, garage/learn time is fairly limited!

Old 01-31-2006, 12:26 AM
mud rat jr.
Senior User
Wink

congats,.but beware you can end up poor if you like the better things, how did my dad put it , champagne taste beer budget, lol, best of luck when you apply for a job remember "nobody else can do what you can"(good or bad) I always have been on the customers side in dealerships. i figure they spend major money on a ride and expect it to be close to right.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Gale Banks...look out! Soon we'll have a "Super Stoker".

Old 01-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Trakk
Senior User
Way to go Eric. Sounds like a great place to be. LUCKY!

Old 01-31-2006, 09:20 AM
RedDragon
Mountain Pass
Sounds like a good class to be taking. FTE is "Diesel 101" for me.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:06 AM
chapguy
Senior User
Do ya get the feeling that we'll all be benefitting from this class? I think the FTE knowledge base is about to increase a BUNCH! Enjoy the class!

Quick Reply: First Day of Diesel Tech I!!