Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Elder User

Hotwheelbill is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Make your own bio-diesel?

I have just watched a show on tv that used , looked like a still, to produce bio-diesel at home with WVO. This is the web sight http://freedomfuelamerica.com/
Anyone tried this thing?
03, CC,F350,DRW,SB,4WD,7.3,AFE II Pro 7,CCV MOD,THREE GAUGES,4739, DP TUNER with Permagrin setting, 5" Cannon, Zodad, AIH Delete, Power Slots, Hawks. TCLUS. Coolant Filter, Sonnix, Fuel Pump Shim.....SOLD
1995 Cummins built trans and turning it up. 2nd gear tire smoke with stock turbo and injectors. Nice truck now, but the motor will one day make it into a Super Duty!!!!
2004 F250 EXCAB SB 4x4 6.0 Coolant filter. CCV reroute. 4" MBRP. Blue fuel spring.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
here is a cheaper, as in much cheaper alternative for a processor, I am currently setting one of these up, and have been making small batches of bio diesel so far.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Senior User

leskwvo is starting off with a positive reputation.
The fuel mister has a bad rap due to the plastic tanks and the almost $3000 dollar cost.

Most folks build a processor out of a new or used hotwater heater tank. Add some plumbing and a pump and you can have a home unit for generaly less then $500 bucks. Check this site Bio Link

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm
Old 01-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Elder User

[QUOTE=monsterbaby]here is a cheaper, as in much cheaper alternative for a processor, I am currently setting one of these up, and have been making small batches of bio diesel so far.
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.
How much time to make 50 to 75 gal. a week?
Do you have to clean the oil first?
How much WVO does it take to make 50 gal of bio?
03, CC,F350,DRW,SB,4WD,7.3,AFE II Pro 7,CCV MOD,THREE GAUGES,4739, DP TUNER with Permagrin setting, 5" Cannon, Zodad, AIH Delete, Power Slots, Hawks. TCLUS. Coolant Filter, Sonnix, Fuel Pump Shim.....SOLD
1995 Cummins built trans and turning it up. 2nd gear tire smoke with stock turbo and injectors. Nice truck now, but the motor will one day make it into a Super Duty!!!!
2004 F250 EXCAB SB 4x4 6.0 Coolant filter. CCV reroute. 4" MBRP. Blue fuel spring.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
most suggest getting the water out by whatever method you choose (I am still deciding what works for me on that one) and you should filter it first I am going to a whole house water filter setup for a prefilter option. And a lot of guys are getting pretty close to 100% conversion rates so 50 gallons of WVO that is fairly clean should make 50 gallons of biodiesel.
I personally have found a source of WVO that isn't in the fryer more than 2 days so thier hasn't been much in the way of water in it at all and they are providing me around 12 gallons a week which is plenty cause I am running it at 20% or B20 at this time so that means aprrox 60 gallons of fuel total for the week and I don't burn that much actually about half that.

RIP Steve Bricks. FTE will not be the same.

Will be forever glad to have had the privilege to shake your hand and BS in person.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
most suggest getting the water out by whatever method you choose (I am still deciding what works for me on that one) and you should filter it first I am going to a whole house water filter setup for a prefilter option. And a lot of guys are getting pretty close to 100% conversion rates so 50 gallons of WVO that is fairly clean should make 50 gallons of biodiesel.
I personally have found a source of WVO that isn't in the fryer more than 2 days so thier hasn't been much in the way of water in it at all and they are providing me around 12 gallons a week which is plenty cause I am running it at 20% or B20 at this time so that means aprrox 60 gallons of fuel total for the week and I don't burn that much actually about half that.
Sorry for all of the questions, but diesel is new to me and I have a hard time thinking that I can 1) build something that look like a still or meth lab and be legal........lol. 2) make my own fuel and keep the oil company's out of my wallet.
I love this truck!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Posting Guru

Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Been making my own for quite some time now. Running both Momma's and mine on 100% BD and laugh past every fuel station
Old 01-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
Been making my own for quite some time now. Running both Momma's and mine on 100% BD and laugh past every fuel station
Is there a web sight that gives info on mixing and the chems needed or is there a web sight that sells a kit?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Posting Guru

Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is a wealth of info on the net. I would tell you to really study and thinlk about it before you buy a processor first. Start with the biodiesel.org and read the links etc. Lots of reading first then act. Just my opinion
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM