Fuel Filter Question - hijack!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 08:30 AM
84Maztang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Question - hijack!

I CAN NOT get that dern thing off!!!!

It has a clip on each side, and i pop those off, and slide them outa the way, i got one of the quick disconnect tools, pop it over the line, and push it in to the line, and i push, twist, and everything, and i cant get it off???
Do i need to push the line on farther while pushing the tool in, or do i pullon it the whole time?
Does dirt and stuff get in there?
HELP!!!

I have to drive it 400 miles back to my fatherinlaws tonight right after work, and he hasnt changed the fuel filter since he bought it 3 years ago!

Old 01-27-2006, 11:26 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
Yea stuff can get in there. But you push the line toward the filter as you push the tool into it ( theres a little sping type ring in there and you don't want any tention on the line as you push the tool in ). Once you're sure the tool is in all the way ( twisting it back and forth as you insert it to make sure the spring is broke loose) you pull on the line with the tool. Most people leave the filter in it's clamp while doing this, and all cuss it as they try to remove the lines.

BTW- I know trucks that are 20 years old and have never had the filter changed, so if there's no problem with the truck you may want to take a break and have at it another day.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:31 AM
MrBSS
Posting Guru
I don't have tons of experience with this, but they usually come off fairly easily when using the tool. Yes, you have to push back a little after inserting the tool, and then pull. Keep the tool inserted fully. Sometimes it's hard to get the line to move back. And, yes, the parts do rust and stuff gets in there. Maybe you should put some penetrating oil on it, but you don't want that to get on any rubber parts.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2006, 02:25 PM
84Maztang
Senior User
When i went to the parts store to get the disconnect tool, the parts guy mentioned that if it has those clips that it shouldnt need the tool. I tried to explain to him that they werent the plastic clips, the kind you have to break to get off, they are like metal clips that dont come off the line.
It still takes the tool right? I can spin the filter separate from the line, so im thinking that the spring clip in there is just bound up some how.
How do you guys bleed the pressure? Do you use the scrade valve on the pass side fuel rail?
THANKS!!!
SEAN!

Old 01-27-2006, 02:43 PM
mat-helm
Senior User
Yes you do need the tool. There's really noway that the spring can get knoted up, those lines are just a pain. As far as the pressure, I just lay a rag around the valve (on the fuel rail) and stick a screw driver (or wahtever) in it like you would to let air out of your tire.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:14 PM
84Maztang
Senior User
Alright, thats what i did lastnight, but its my father in laws truck, so i dont want to break stuff on it. If it need breakin, ill wait till he does it, and let him break it! (and pay for it!!)
Ill get it done tonight befor i take my trip..
Thanks!!!
SEAN!

Old 01-27-2006, 05:33 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
the plastic clips on the outside will retain the lines in the filter. i had a 89 F250 that had clips and no internal steel ring. i worked on a 96 severl years ago and did not know about the internal steel clips. grabbed the push on line with pliers and pried a screw drvier between pliers and filter and pulled it apart. ruined the steel clips, but like i said, the plastic outer cllips will retain o.k. after that i did a couple more. guess i need to get the tool sometime.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:48 PM
84Maztang
Senior User
mine does not have plastic clips they are metal.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had both a '93 and, now, a '99. Neither were, or are, easy. Sure, one side of the 1993 came off easily once... once.

On the '93 I found that sometimes the filter came off if I inserted the tool, twisted a bit while pushing the line onto the tool, then removed the tool. The line would then just lide off - but it would not come off with the tool on. Go figure.

The 1999 did not have an original filter, and it was still tough to get undone.

Whole lots of bad words have been said about Ford over this system, and I bet I've said half of 'em. The other words I'll reserve for the hidden-away spark plugs, the cross-threading, the interior, the transmission, the ball joints, the... well, you get the point.