Different 4 banger

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
MThad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different 4 banger

Help!
Have acquired a Mercruiser 470 four cyl. Before I get flamed and reminded that this is a Ford based forum let me explain. It is half of a 460, rods, head and I don't know what else.
OK, wife wants a small roadster, I got the Ranchero so fair enough, let's do something different.

Please help does any know this engine, stock or modified, or know a source of information.
Heard Kaas built one to test his head designs, +600hp. But have not located any information about it.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As long as it's not half of a Chevy, we're ok here...

Mercury Marine used Chevy motors, Ford motors, and other odds 'n ends. I had an '88 Glastron with a Mercruiser 3.7 liter 4-cylinder, don't really know what parts they used but nothing on it looked familiar.

I know this doesn't help you much (or any) but hopefully someone will chime in with a little more info.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:29 AM
MThad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it was 3.7 four cylinder with crossflow head, intake one side / exhaust on the other then it was the same engine.

Now looking for 429/ 460 alum head, just one. Maybe someone had bad luck and blew their BBF racer and are getting rid of parts.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of the aftermarket heads are sold individually, so if you don't mind shelling out the bucks for a new one, it's only half as much as buying a pair! But you never know, maybe you'll get lucky and find a used single.