Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2006, 05:42 PM
New User

fixitup is starting off with a positive reputation.
94 Ranger Clutch Problems

I downshifted the other day and noticed then that something didn't feel quite right about the clutch. Then when I went to shift again, I couldn't get it into gear. The reservoir had plenty of fluid in it and there are no apparent leaks around the master cylinder or from the bottom of the tranny where the slave would leak from. I did replace the master cylinder since it was the easiest fix without dropping the tranny, but that didn't seem to help any at all (I read about all of the bleeding issues and think I have all of the air out of it). If you start it in gear, the truck will creep forward like the clutch isn't fully disengaged. Could the slave cylinder be bad and not leak any fluid? Also, I couldn't match the RPM's up and shift it without the clutch when I was getting it home. Is this normal or was I just not pulling on the shifter hard enough?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Elder User

Madmike33 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe bent Pressure Plate Forks.. Just A thought.

Madmike33
Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Post Fiend

RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah...that ain't right.

Since the clutch is still dragging with it all the way depressed, I think bad slave or throwout bearing.
Might as well buy a clutch kit and just re-do it all.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 AM
Senior User

dag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPilot
Yeah...that ain't right.

Since the clutch is still dragging with it all the way depressed, I think bad slave or throwout bearing.
Might as well buy a clutch kit and just re-do it all.
I agree with Pilot...make sure all the air is bled.. but its probably a bad slave cylinder, I read on a forum somewhere about parking the ranger on an incline (front bumper low) removing the inspection cover/cap and spraying a little wd-40 on the transmission input shaft to help free things up, it's worth a try.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Elder User

Madmike33 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, you two are right it could be slave or throwout, but it could also be bent or worn/soft pressure plate forks, as a result not releasing the friction disk well enough to shift. But these are all good ideas and will most likely require tranny removal for proper inspection and fixing. Make sure it is bled properly or else all this other stuff is pointless.

Madmike33
Old 01-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Freshman User

wjackson316 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i had the same problem on my 94 and it was the throwout bearing was out of it and i put cltuch kit,slave and masters cylinders on while it was apart
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Post Fiend

RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.RangerPilot has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yeah basically anything is going to require you dropping the tranny.

Honestly, you might just overhaul it, or at least do a full clutch replacement with bearings and what not, while it's down.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:52 PM
New User

fixitup is starting off with a positive reputation.
I appreciate the input! You've confirmed what I suspected. I just bled it again tonight to make sure, but it didn't make any difference. The Ford manual says that there should be .3" travel and that's what I measure so I guess it's time to drop the tranny and see what's going on. Oh well, it's got about 85,000 miles on the clutch so it's about time anyway.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Senior User

dag is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah..oh well thats pretty good mileage outta that clutch... mine's due again... at 310k but I think my tranny is about wore out, trying to figure out what I'm going to do.. time to shop for some low mileage beauties!!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:07 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series