Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Owners of 05' V10 - List Products that have improved your MPG/hp/torque

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Melchiah
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well my buddy's got a v10 in his new superduty and well i gave him my strategy which basically is that i use my car during the week for school and its a piece of crap little 1996 mercury mystyque with the 2.0L and well at an average of about 30mpg thats great then the free time comes and i get out my truck with my 7.5L and go out and have some fun its quite a bit cheaper that way in my oppion

Old 01-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Big Cheese Stick
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive it like you want and enjoy the truck for what it is, many products will help with mileage (changeing ALL the fluids over to synthetic is a great one!) The more you start thinking about mileage the more unhappy you'll end up I'm affraid. Its a GREAT truck for what it was built to do... WORK!

Old 01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
towandcamp
Senior User
Lightbulb Owners of 05' V10 - List Products that have improved your Mileage/Torque/Horsepower

hey 2005 V10 owners,

PLEASE, 2005 V10 OWNERS.

we are getting a pretty good discussion in another line regarding MPG, lets see if we can use this line for strictly products that you have added that have improved your trucks MILEAGE and/or TORQUE and/or HORSEPOWER.

When the ponies are stalled the corrall gets crowded, LET 'EM OUT!

Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
captchas
well jake check out my gallery for rodding parts, as to more mpg's only a raw egg under the go pedal helps that. and thats something this motor will not let you do very well. you can do almost every thing made for a 05/6 to date and not get much more then .5 to 1.0 better then if you drive with a fine tuned right foot.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:06 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
You've got 4.10's, so you can improve your torque by changing axles or tires. You can improve your horsepower by changing fuels (nitro, etc.), or chip it and change your program to "improve" your WOT horsepower. Do you want to race, drag, off-road, tow, show, plow, what? Any change made in one area involves a trade-off in another.

So far, no one on these threads has come up with any magic method to improve upon the motor for its intended purpose, to WORK. So let us know what your objective is, and presumably someone can help!

Old 01-26-2006, 09:43 PM
towandcamp
Senior User
dont have an objective but get the most out of the V10 without damaging it. I just thought it would be nice to have one concise line in this forums for these topics rather than have to search around the entire forum for answers.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:46 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Threads merged

Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 PM
towandcamp
Senior User
since u merged them, would you change the topic name to more reflect the discussion in here, please.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
There you are

Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 PM
towandcamp
Senior User
thanks!, bigf350.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
captchas
Cool they are

Originally Posted by Big Cheese Stick
Drive it like you want and enjoy the truck for what it is, many products will help with mileage (changeing ALL the fluids over to synthetic is a great one!) The more you start thinking about mileage the more unhappy you'll end up I'm affraid. Its a GREAT truck for what it was built to do... WORK!
they are from the factory in the diffs and transfer case, the engine and auto trans are semi.

Old 01-27-2006, 12:46 PM
01Roush
New User
Originally Posted by SLE
That equals 28,600 miles per year for just run around driving that I don't need a truck to do. I average 15mpg beter than the truck, so say the truck averages 12mpg my car is around 26-28mpg, we'll call it 27 for ease of calculations. the truck uses 2383.33 gallons to drive that amount, the car 1059.26 gallons. At say 2.40 a gallon (just some type of an average) thats $5720 just for fuel for the truck and 2542.22 for the car. That saves me $3177.78 just in gas.
Try again, you calculated as though you are putting zero miles on the truck per year. If you split the 28,600 as you said (7000 truck leaves 21,600 car) your savings is $2460, not $3178.

the car has less maintenence and is cheaper to maintain then the truck so lets just say I save an additional $500 per year between oil changes, air filters, fuel filters, tranny flushes, tires and all the other fluids that need to be changed.
Again calculated as though zero miles and therefore zero maintenance on truck. You are very unlikely to save money by maintaining two vehicles, especially if one is older, and even if you saved a little....$500?? :lol: What do you change the oil every 1500 and buy new tires every 20,000?

So I have a total savings of atleast $3677.78 after fuel and maintenence.
More like still around $2460 if not less....

My insurance runs $394/year and license is $80/year so if you subtract that from the total and I have a savings of $3203.78/ year.
$1986...

I bought the car with 80k on it about 2.3 years ago for $4500
So its now worth probably probably $2500, which is $870/year, and you're down around $1116 in savings...

If the car has any significant mechanical trouble at all that could go away quickly... Also ignoring the possibility that if you had put that $4500 against your truck loan 2.3 years ago you would not have been paying interest on that $4500 the past 2.3 years....

so I have already saved $2868.69 (after the purchace) and every year from hear out will be an additionall 3203.78 minus a few misc. repairs. I figure I should get another 4 years out of it at a minimum. so I will total a savings of $15,683
There is no way in hell you'll be up over $15,000 by driving this car part-time for a few years.... You drive enough miles that you can save some money, but not nearly what you are trying to claim, ignoring things like depreciation on the 2nd vehicle doesn't make it go away.... Someone who drives less miles and/or has a more even split between the vehicles would have negligible savings, like if you had an even mileage split between the two the savings goes to almost nothing.

I figure even if I was to break even cost wise I'm still saving mileage, wear and trear on my pickup, wich will still save me money because my truck will last longer (since trucks cost more to buy than cars) and It'll bring more when I do sell since it'll be lower mileage and be in better shape, plus it should be an easier sell.
Now here's the real benefit!

I'm not trying to argue or pick on you, its just that most times when people say "I'm gonna buy a second vehicle to save money" they haven't done any kind of real cost analysis and often end up spending more than they were. You drive way more than average miles and didn't spend a lot on the second vehicle so you will save some decent money, however you also then have to spend 21,000 miles sitting in an old Lumina instead of the sweetass truck you might well be paying $600-700/mo. to own and insure....kinda depends on what value you put on that too....

Just my $.02

Old 01-27-2006, 02:41 PM
SLE
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=01Roush]Try again, you calculated as though you are putting zero miles on the truck per year. If you split the 28,600 as you said (7000 truck leaves 21,600 car) your savings is $2460, not $3178. [QUOTE=01Roush]

Thats because the the 6-7000 I put on my truck are above the 28,600 I put on my car!!! So yes I basically zeroed out the miles on the truck since its over and above what I put on the car!!

[QUOTE=01Roush]Again calculated as though zero miles and therefore zero maintenance on truck. You are very unlikely to save money by maintaining two vehicles, especially if one is older, and even if you saved a little....$500?? :lol: What do you change the oil every 1500 and buy new tires every 20,000?[QUOTE=01Roush]

Actually my truck gets the oil changed every 2000-2500miles and I go 3500miles on my car and its more expensive to do on the truck. Tires cost me $280 on my car over $720 on my truck!! The truck tires last 30-40k and the last set of car tires went 75k!! So yes its cheaper to maintian both vehicles than just my truck dirving it that many miles!! I'd be buying truck tires a ljust about every year and my car tires make it 2 to three years so I'm saving dang near $400/year just on tires!!

[QUOTE=01Roush]If the car has any significant mechanical trouble at all that could go away quickly... Also ignoring the possibility that if you had put that $4500 against your truck loan 2.3 years ago you would not have been paying interest on that $4500 the past 2.3 years?[QUOTE=01Roush]

So what 4.2% for 4 years on $4500, just about nothing!! Also a trany costs $1600 (one was put in right before I bough the car) and I can by a new engine for less than $2500. The rest I can do myslef. so what that 2 years of saving if the two worst things happen (and the likely hood of that is pretty poor)

[QUOTE=01Roush]There is no way in hell you'll be up over $15,000 by driving this car part-time for a few years.... You drive enough miles that you can save some money, but not nearly what you are trying to claim, ignoring things like depreciation on the 2nd vehicle doesn't make it go away.... Someone who drives less miles and/or has a more even split between the vehicles would have negligible savings, like if you had an even mileage split between the two the savings goes to almost nothing.[QUOTE=01Roush]

You haven't proven one thing yet so yes, I save 15,000 buy drivng my car as a primary vehicle instead of my truck. No this isn't gonna work if you go out and buy brand new cars but if you don't mind driving a regular old Lumina/taurus or something alike that has 60-80k on it you can buy them for around $5k, which make this equation work quite nicely! Deperciation on $2200, what are you talking about, I completely paid for the vehicle in less than a year! The dealership isn't gonna give me any more than trade in value, and my wife had already driven it for two years after I bought it. heck I even used the full purchace price in may calcs and not the trade value I would have gotten if I would have traded it in when the wife got a newer car!! SO again my savings are quite near what I quoted and there is nothing you can do to prove me wrong. period end of discusion. I paid for the vehicle tha mainentence and have extra money by not driving my truck, is it that hard to beleive. this obviously isn't gonna work for the guy that drives 10 miles per day to work and back but when you drive 80 it makes a bit of a difference!

Also just to add, my Lumina LS is quite nice to drive, it rides better, follows the grooves in the hwy better (the truck with big tires isn't real good for this) and is quiter than my pickup, yes I would rather drive my truck, it looks quite kick *** compared to the car and the BSEGs are incomparable. But hey, money doesn't grow on trees and as much as I'd like to instead of buying a $40k truck every 4 year because the old one is wore out why not keep one for 10 year (and get new one just because I want one) and buy a 5k car every 4 years instead. When I put it this way I'm saving a whole lot more than what I quoted above just in the difference in vehicel prices, heck I could be buying 1 year old cars for $12k that have 20k on the clock) drive them for 8 years and still be way a head. like I said, it works quite well for ME!!

Forgive me guys, but I hate when someone thinks they know my business better than myslef! back to topic

Old 01-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Agronomist
Senior User
Driving with my fluffy house shoes instead of work boots improved my mpg. Oops, sorry I have a '99.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:26 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, actually, I'm going to vote for SLE, but without the detailed cost analysis.

I just gave an old minivan to my son, so I'm down to 4 vehicles. I'll be giving another vehicle to my other son within the year, so I'll be down to 3 vehicles. My truck is a stick so my wife can't drive it (... gee, wonder how that happened! ) so I have to have a third car in case hers (a 2006 Escape) develops problems. So my daily driver is entirely free! I'll admit it involves some mental gymnastics, but I don't put a set of tires on it but every 4 or 5 years and repairs aren't generally much because I do them myself. I already have to have the insurance, so the only differential cost is the gasoline in my view.

Plus, any mileage I can put on the DD is just that much longer the truck will last!

Quick Reply: Owners of 05' V10 - List Products that have improved your MPG/hp/torque