Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Junior User

esmarkey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is Biodiesel OK?

I have an 02 PSD and have an opportunity to buy Biodiesel from a guy who is processing "vegitable oil". With current prices for local diesel hovering around $2.50/gal in Western Michagan buying biodiesel for about $2/gal sounds good.
My questions are:
Is biodiesel arlright to run in my truck?
What should I ask, and look for?
I currently run Stanodyne additive, if I run biodiesel should I continue to run the additive?
Is it OK (or preferable) to mix diesel and biodiesel?
Should I experience any preformance enhancement/deterioration?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Postmaster

PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check out this thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...ght=bio+diesel

'02 F250,4X4,7.3L PSD,DP Tuned,supporting mods,empty wallet.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Post Fiend

PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmarkey
I currently run Stanodyne additive, if I run biodiesel should I continue to run the additive?

1. do not keep running the additive. the nature of biodiesel is very "slippery" in terms of lubrication, because it is mainly oil with lots of lubrication for the injectors.

2. yes biodiesel and #2 (straight diesel) are good to mix in cold weather (below 35-40*) because the biodiesel has a higher cloud point, and a higher gelling point. ford's warranty only calls for B-5 (5% concentration biodiesel to straight #2) but the engine is rated to safely run 100% biodiesel and no #2. just do not run straight biodiesel in cold temps, because of gelling. run at no more than 20% biodiesel, and use no fuel additive.

3. biodiesel tends to pick up alot of "junk" in the tank and lines before the filter. it is recommend to change the fuel filter on top of the engine after one or two tanks, as they can easily cause a well-used filter to get plugged. kwikkordead also said that the exhaust is alot less smoky, and it will clean out all the soot in the exhaust pipes. just keep a spare fuel filter in the glove box if you run this stuff.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Posting Guru

Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
do you need a kit to convert your truck to Bio or is it fine to run the way it is
-Justin
1999 Pontiac Sunflower 230k
1984 Chebby K20 4 speed Fischer plow 48k original miles beat to hell
Previous trucks- 3 7.3 powerstrokes
Old 01-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Junior User

99f250psd is starting off with a positive reputation.
No conversion to run bio-diesel. I try to get it whenever I can to keep some money from going over to Middle-East.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Postmaster

johnny8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i CAN'T WAIT for the day when i can get bio locally, i don't care if it IS the same price as diesel fuel... if it is made here in the good old US of A, i'll buy it, screw those oil sheiks and their PRICE GOUGING...! especially if it is BETTER for my mule, AND is better for the environment... geeze, if this stuff becomes widely available, and eventually CHEAPER than diesel, even the TREEHUGGERS will love my truck..! lol..!
sonnax kit
walker btm
wastgate mod
dipricol gauges
tru-cool tranny cooler
superior compressor wheel
dual valve boost fooler
Old 01-20-2006, 07:39 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts Muktown. The source for Ford truck tech.

esmarkey: I don't know that I would purchase home brewed bio from an individual without knowing that it had been tested and meets the fuel quality requirements.

Thread moved to biodiesel forum.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 01-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Junior User

rcdallas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
I have an 02 PSD and have an opportunity to buy Biodiesel from a guy who is processing "vegitable oil". With current prices for local diesel hovering around $2.50/gal in Western Michagan buying biodiesel for about $2/gal sounds good.
My questions are:
Is biodiesel arlright to run in my truck?

As others answered many, winter time in Michigan I wouldn't exceed a 50/50 ratio. Definately don't run 100% this time a year.

I myself keep it easy at B20 as that is all there is locally. No need for additive.

You'll probably notice that your truck will run smoother.

If you can get me the deal for $2 a gallon PM me, I have 55 gallon drums.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Postmaster

bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.bigredtruckmi has a good reputation on FTE.
There are a few fuel stations in the G.R. area selling approved bio. go to www.biodiesel.org and they have a list of stations and fuel suppliers.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:44 AM
Senior User

leskwvo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

Take a glass jar and fill it about 2/3 full of the bio they make. Add about 1/3 tap water. Cover and shack vigorously.

Set aside and wait to see what happens. The water should separate and fall to the bottom. The water should be very clear.

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm
Old 01-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Posting Guru

Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leskwvo
Take a glass jar and fill it about 2/3 full of the bio they make. Add about 1/3 tap water. Cover and shack vigorously.

Set aside and wait to see what happens. The water should separate and fall to the bottom. The water should be very clear.

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm
That is only one test. I brew my own BD and run it in 2 PSD's. I prerform a lot more tests on my homebrew then just the "shaken up test" I test the gel/cloud point of every batch, I also try and react a litre of BD to see if I had a complete reaction with every batch, I also test the pH, vicosity and specific gravity, and a few other various tests for soaps, lubricityetc.... This is actually way overboard, but I do not want to be replacing 100,000.00's in trucks either. I do not sell my BD; however I have GIVEN a few gallons away to friends After they have seen my set up how I make,test and store it. So that way should their blnker or some other thing happen to their truck I am not held accountable. i really have only given about 20gallons away total to 4 different friends. They like it and they also know why I will not sell it to them or anyone else. I just do not want to be replacing their trucks or any parts labor etc. Related to the fuel system or not. I only say this as warning. If you are going to run someone else's Home Brew, If you pay for it he is accountable for any fuel related issues caused by the BD. I personally would not run anyone elses Home brew in my personal trucks, But that is because I know no one else is as **** as I am about testing and quality. Good luck with what ever route you choose. And for those who stand with me on keeping American money here and not funding the war against my countrymen I salute you. Keep America free and our soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors safe and healthy. God bless them. I run 100% homebrew BD and 100% synthetic fluids in my trucks. NO arab oil in my vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
That is only one test. I brew my own BD and run it in 2 PSD's. I prerform a lot more tests on my homebrew then just the "shaken up test" I test the gel/cloud point of every batch, I also try and react a litre of BD to see if I had a complete reaction with every batch, I also test the pH, vicosity and specific gravity, and a few other various tests for soaps, lubricityetc.... This is actually way overboard, but I do not want to be replacing 100,000.00's in trucks either. I do not sell my BD; however I have GIVEN a few gallons away to friends After they have seen my set up how I make,test and store it. So that way should their blnker or some other thing happen to their truck I am not held accountable. i really have only given about 20gallons away total to 4 different friends. They like it and they also know why I will not sell it to them or anyone else. I just do not want to be replacing their trucks or any parts labor etc. Related to the fuel system or not. I only say this as warning. If you are going to run someone else's Home Brew, If you pay for it he is accountable for any fuel related issues caused by the BD. I personally would not run anyone elses Home brew in my personal trucks, But that is because I know no one else is as **** as I am about testing and quality. Good luck with what ever route you choose. And for those who stand with me on keeping American money here and not funding the war against my countrymen I salute you. Keep America free and our soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors safe and healthy. God bless them. I run 100% homebrew BD and 100% synthetic fluids in my trucks. NO arab oil in my vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I SALUTE YOU...! and i wish i were able to do the same..!
sonnax kit
walker btm
wastgate mod
dipricol gauges
tru-cool tranny cooler
dual valve boost fooler
Old 01-21-2006, 10:44 PM
New User

thelonewuf is starting off with a positive reputation.
I plan on buying a diesel Excusion as soon as I can. As for the treehuggers, well I put one I teach with in his place. I reminded him that if I use bio-diesel and synthetic oil, my American truck would be less of a hazard to the envronment than his import.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewuf
I plan on buying a diesel Excusion as soon as I can. As for the treehuggers, well I put one I teach with in his place. I reminded him that if I use bio-diesel and synthetic oil, my American truck would be less of a hazard to the envronment than his import.
i'm just curious how he responded to that... some of these people are purists.. they actually want all vehicles to be outlawed.... if it was up to them we would all live in mud huts..! thank you no... i like my home and i love my truck... i just wish America could supply it's own needs... the guys making millions selling us the JUNK we are putting in our tanks could make just as many millions selling us BIO... and we would ALL be so much better off..! are you listening American Oil Companies..?
sonnax kit
walker btm
wastgate mod
dipricol gauges
tru-cool tranny cooler
dual valve boost fooler
Old 01-22-2006, 01:18 PM
New User

thelonewuf is starting off with a positive reputation.
It was GREAT!!!! He did not know what to say; he just smiled. I am not one to quote research because I know research can be skewed to say anything you want it to say: If we grew roughly 12,000 square miles of corn, soybeans and peanuts we could supply all of our diesel needs for 1 year. My uncles could grow enough to supply my family’s needs every year. The diesel was built to run off those types of products when it was designed. Hopefully someone will run for President that will say, “Look we can do it ourselves. We do not need or want your help and your oil!” We would be a lot better off. We would give the farmers a purpose, clean the air (everything would smell like French fries), and we would have more people drive diesels instead of gas engines. We need to all band together and start making our own fuel. Then what would the oil companies and countries say and do?
Old 01-22-2006, 01:18 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
2004, biodiesel, biofuel, ford, truck