Is Biodiesel OK? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



Is Biodiesel OK?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM
esmarkey's Avatar
esmarkey esmarkey is offline
Junior User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 96
esmarkey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is Biodiesel OK?

I have an 02 PSD and have an opportunity to buy Biodiesel from a guy who is processing "vegitable oil". With current prices for local diesel hovering around $2.50/gal in Western Michagan buying biodiesel for about $2/gal sounds good.
My questions are:
Is biodiesel arlright to run in my truck?
What should I ask, and look for?
I currently run Stanodyne additive, if I run biodiesel should I continue to run the additive?
Is it OK (or preferable) to mix diesel and biodiesel?
Should I experience any preformance enhancement/deterioration?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-20-2006, 02:05 PM
PSNut's Avatar
PSNut PSNut is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,438
PSNut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2006, 07:14 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie's Avatar
PowerstrokeJunkie PowerstrokeJunkie is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 21791
Posts: 14,583
PowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to beholdPowerstrokeJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmarkey
I currently run Stanodyne additive, if I run biodiesel should I continue to run the additive?
Is it OK (or preferable) to mix diesel and biodiesel?
Should I experience any preformance enhancement/deterioration?

Thanks in advance for your input.

1. do not keep running the additive. the nature of biodiesel is very "slippery" in terms of lubrication, because it is mainly oil with lots of lubrication for the injectors.

2. yes biodiesel and #2 (straight diesel) are good to mix in cold weather (below 35-40*) because the biodiesel has a higher cloud point, and a higher gelling point. ford's warranty only calls for B-5 (5% concentration biodiesel to straight #2) but the engine is rated to safely run 100% biodiesel and no #2. just do not run straight biodiesel in cold temps, because of gelling. run at no more than 20% biodiesel, and use no fuel additive.

3. biodiesel tends to pick up alot of "junk" in the tank and lines before the filter. it is recommend to change the fuel filter on top of the engine after one or two tanks, as they can easily cause a well-used filter to get plugged. kwikkordead also said that the exhaust is alot less smoky, and it will clean out all the soot in the exhaust pipes. just keep a spare fuel filter in the glove box if you run this stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Muktown's Avatar
Muktown Muktown is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elkhorn, WI
Posts: 1,606
Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Muktown is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
do you need a kit to convert your truck to Bio or is it fine to run the way it is
-Justin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 PM
99f250psd 99f250psd is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 68
99f250psd is starting off with a positive reputation.
No conversion to run bio-diesel. I try to get it whenever I can to keep some money from going over to Middle-East.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2006, 08:34 PM
johnny8's Avatar
johnny8 johnny8 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,854
johnny8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i CAN'T WAIT for the day when i can get bio locally, i don't care if it IS the same price as diesel fuel... if it is made here in the good old US of A, i'll buy it, screw those oil sheiks and their PRICE GOUGING...! especially if it is BETTER for my mule, AND is better for the environment... geeze, if this stuff becomes widely available, and eventually CHEAPER than diesel, even the TREEHUGGERS will love my truck..! lol..!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2006, 08:39 PM
cookie88's Avatar
cookie88 cookie88 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cabot, Arkansas
Posts: 13,589
cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.cookie88 has a spectacular reputation.
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts Muktown. The source for Ford truck tech.

esmarkey: I don't know that I would purchase home brewed bio from an individual without knowing that it had been tested and meets the fuel quality requirements.

Thread moved to biodiesel forum.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2006, 10:24 PM
rcdallas rcdallas is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Monroe, MI
Posts: 55
rcdallas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmarkey
I have an 02 PSD and have an opportunity to buy Biodiesel from a guy who is processing "vegitable oil". With current prices for local diesel hovering around $2.50/gal in Western Michagan buying biodiesel for about $2/gal sounds good.
My questions are:
Is biodiesel arlright to run in my truck?
What should I ask, and look for?
I currently run Stanodyne additive, if I run biodiesel should I continue to run the additive?
Is it OK (or preferable) to mix diesel and biodiesel?
Should I experience any preformance enhancement/deterioration?

Thanks in advance for your input.
As others answered many, winter time in Michigan I wouldn't exceed a 50/50 ratio. Definately don't run 100% this time a year.

I myself keep it easy at B20 as that is all there is locally. No need for additive.

You'll probably notice that your truck will run smoother.

If you can get me the deal for $2 a gallon PM me, I have 55 gallon drums.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2006, 11:10 PM
bigredtruckmi's Avatar
bigredtruckmi bigredtruckmi is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan
Posts: 7,080
bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.
There are a few fuel stations in the G.R. area selling approved bio. go to www.biodiesel.org and they have a list of stations and fuel suppliers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-21-2006, 06:44 AM
leskwvo leskwvo is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 214
leskwvo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmarkey
What should I ask, and look for?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Take a glass jar and fill it about 2/3 full of the bio they make. Add about 1/3 tap water. Cover and shack vigorously.

Set aside and wait to see what happens. The water should separate and fall to the bottom. The water should be very clear.

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Fire Rooster's Avatar
Fire Rooster Fire Rooster is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phx, AZ
Posts: 1,873
Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leskwvo
Take a glass jar and fill it about 2/3 full of the bio they make. Add about 1/3 tap water. Cover and shack vigorously.

Set aside and wait to see what happens. The water should separate and fall to the bottom. The water should be very clear.

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm
That is only one test. I brew my own BD and run it in 2 PSD's. I prerform a lot more tests on my homebrew then just the "shaken up test" I test the gel/cloud point of every batch, I also try and react a litre of BD to see if I had a complete reaction with every batch, I also test the pH, vicosity and specific gravity, and a few other various tests for soaps, lubricityetc.... This is actually way overboard, but I do not want to be replacing 100,000.00's in trucks either. I do not sell my BD; however I have GIVEN a few gallons away to friends After they have seen my set up how I make,test and store it. So that way should their blnker or some other thing happen to their truck I am not held accountable. i really have only given about 20gallons away total to 4 different friends. They like it and they also know why I will not sell it to them or anyone else. I just do not want to be replacing their trucks or any parts labor etc. Related to the fuel system or not. I only say this as warning. If you are going to run someone else's Home Brew, If you pay for it he is accountable for any fuel related issues caused by the BD. I personally would not run anyone elses Home brew in my personal trucks, But that is because I know no one else is as **** as I am about testing and quality. Good luck with what ever route you choose. And for those who stand with me on keeping American money here and not funding the war against my countrymen I salute you. Keep America free and our soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors safe and healthy. God bless them. I run 100% homebrew BD and 100% synthetic fluids in my trucks. NO arab oil in my vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-21-2006, 10:45 PM
johnny8's Avatar
johnny8 johnny8 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,854
johnny8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
That is only one test. I brew my own BD and run it in 2 PSD's. I prerform a lot more tests on my homebrew then just the "shaken up test" I test the gel/cloud point of every batch, I also try and react a litre of BD to see if I had a complete reaction with every batch, I also test the pH, vicosity and specific gravity, and a few other various tests for soaps, lubricityetc.... This is actually way overboard, but I do not want to be replacing 100,000.00's in trucks either. I do not sell my BD; however I have GIVEN a few gallons away to friends After they have seen my set up how I make,test and store it. So that way should their blnker or some other thing happen to their truck I am not held accountable. i really have only given about 20gallons away total to 4 different friends. They like it and they also know why I will not sell it to them or anyone else. I just do not want to be replacing their trucks or any parts labor etc. Related to the fuel system or not. I only say this as warning. If you are going to run someone else's Home Brew, If you pay for it he is accountable for any fuel related issues caused by the BD. I personally would not run anyone elses Home brew in my personal trucks, But that is because I know no one else is as **** as I am about testing and quality. Good luck with what ever route you choose. And for those who stand with me on keeping American money here and not funding the war against my countrymen I salute you. Keep America free and our soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors safe and healthy. God bless them. I run 100% homebrew BD and 100% synthetic fluids in my trucks. NO arab oil in my vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I SALUTE YOU...! and i wish i were able to do the same..!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-21-2006, 11:44 PM
thelonewuf thelonewuf is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
thelonewuf is starting off with a positive reputation.
I plan on buying a diesel Excusion as soon as I can. As for the treehuggers, well I put one I teach with in his place. I reminded him that if I use bio-diesel and synthetic oil, my American truck would be less of a hazard to the envronment than his import.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2006, 10:23 AM
johnny8's Avatar
johnny8 johnny8 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,854
johnny8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonewuf
I plan on buying a diesel Excusion as soon as I can. As for the treehuggers, well I put one I teach with in his place. I reminded him that if I use bio-diesel and synthetic oil, my American truck would be less of a hazard to the envronment than his import.
i'm just curious how he responded to that... some of these people are purists.. they actually want all vehicles to be outlawed.... if it was up to them we would all live in mud huts..! thank you no... i like my home and i love my truck... i just wish America could supply it's own needs... the guys making millions selling us the JUNK we are putting in our tanks could make just as many millions selling us BIO... and we would ALL be so much better off..! are you listening American Oil Companies..?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 PM
thelonewuf thelonewuf is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6
thelonewuf is starting off with a positive reputation.
It was GREAT!!!! He did not know what to say; he just smiled. I am not one to quote research because I know research can be skewed to say anything you want it to say: If we grew roughly 12,000 square miles of corn, soybeans and peanuts we could supply all of our diesel needs for 1 year. My uncles could grow enough to supply my family’s needs every year. The diesel was built to run off those types of products when it was designed. Hopefully someone will run for President that will say, “Look we can do it ourselves. We do not need or want your help and your oil!” We would be a lot better off. We would give the farmers a purpose, clean the air (everything would smell like French fries), and we would have more people drive diesels instead of gas engines. We need to all band together and start making our own fuel. Then what would the oil companies and countries say and do?
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio Diesel Newbie granny_rocket Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 6 06-24-2013 07:30 AM
My Bio processor N2ZPY Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 18 11-15-2012 11:41 PM
B20 and Regens RedneckTrucker 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 16 04-19-2011 11:04 AM
Hey, Austin! BioDiesel and Additives? lakerats Texas Chapter 2 12-27-2006 02:59 AM
DIY biodiesel processor plans? moebdick Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels 4 10-24-2004 05:52 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
2004, biodiesel, biofuel, ford, truck

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.