1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Ideas for stiff riding E-350 4x4

Old 01-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Jamouneau
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for stiff riding E-350 4x4

As you may guess from my signature, I have some ride challenges. Ideas are much appreciated. We just got this low miles van and expect to keep it forever, if we can make its ride liveable.

Particulars are:
1. 137? inch wheelbase
2. Ranchero RS 5000 shocks all around
3. Coil springs on Dana front axle
4. A 4" lift kit on rear axle to match front axle height gain
5. Usually driven with light load

We will be adding some weight to it as we fit it out for camping but don't want to really load it down. So far the best ride was when hauling 1500lbs of sacrete. Unfortunately I've already struck out with MOR/ryde as they couldn't recommend their RL kit because of the 4"lift.

Thanks for your help

Old 01-20-2006, 08:36 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Well, first off the RS-5000 is not a comfort shock. I have had them on my F-100 and have been putting them on my current 1985 E-250 4x4.

The front coil springs should give you a fairly soft ride compared with leaf. The problem is, as noted, you need more weigh. My van (8600 gvw) rides soooo much smoother with weight in the back.

In the back I would ditch the lift kit (blocks) and replace it with a variable rate leaf pack with at least 9 leaves. Then put on a road shock.

Tires tires tires

Run floation tires and do not run them at max. inflation. This really softens the ride.

Make sure you have front and rear sway bars.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:28 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
one draw back to a 1 ton van, they ride like crap when unloaded. definately lower the air pressure in your tires, when unloaded you can run the same pressure front and rear somewhere around 50 psi. check your door panel or chalk line test the tires. after that look into an air suspension, I know front coil over replacement bags are easy to find, the rear might not be as easy.
You may want to contact: http://www.keldermanmfg.com/ to see if they have something that would work for your application.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Jamouneau
New User
Chalk line test?

Crash,
".. chalk line test the tires. " How do you do that? I do have stout tires on and imagine that lower pressure would soften the ride, but I don't want to have uneven tread wear. So does a "chalk line test" help me find the lowest pressure acceptable?

Old 01-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To chalk test tires, have vehicle on smooth flat blacktop/pavement that you are able to drive a straight line for a few feet. Put a chalk line across the tread the roll the vehicle forward or backward in a straight line observing the line, the air pressure is close when the line wears evenly. Decrease pressure if the center wears first, increase if the outer wear first. This is what you do when running oversized tires on truck to determine air pressure that puts even pressure on the tread at a given load. This method should get you close but drivability and actual usage wear will warrent further tire pressure corrections. If you are going to load the van up use the recommended tire pressure in the door jamb. You can check with either the manufacturer(of the tires) or a tire shop to get the load ratings for the tires at given air pressures.
What size tires are on this van?

Another thing you may want to look iinto is a oversized fuel tank by Transfer Flow(or simalar). It wil add weight that is useful and the added capacity is nice for traveling.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Jamouneau
New User
My tires are LT235/85 R16 Load range E. Didn't put a gauge on them but expect they are at 51psi after my last visit for rotate/balance.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Ian F
Elder User
I would look into custom wound progressive springs. Match those with an aftermarket adjustable shock. Contact Rancho (or similar) and tell them what you have. It's likely they make a shock that will fit your van, but you'll probably need to give them some dimensions first.

But at the same time, be realistic about your goals. E-350's aren't great riding vans to begin with. Add a 4WD conversion and there's going to be a limit to how smooth you can make it ride. Don't expect it to ever be close to a modern SUV (Explorer, Expy, Excursion, etc.) in ride quality.

Old 01-23-2006, 11:19 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> My tires are LT235/85 R16 Load range E

To safely use these tires on your van you should probably run them at least 60 psi, imo, so they can handle the 6k+ load. The cold inflation pressure is probably 80 psi max.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Ian F
Elder User
Originally Posted by rebocardo
> My tires are LT235/85 R16 Load range E

To safely use these tires on your van you should probably run them at least 60 psi, imo, so they can handle the 6k+ load. The cold inflation pressure is probably 80 psi max.
For comparison my E-150 raised-roof conversion is currently running P235/75 R15's at their maximum pressure of 41 psi (next tires will be XL rated or LT's as I use the van mainly for hauling) and even empty (all rear seats removed) the ride is too soft for my tastes. Add a few hundred pounds and she rides like a Caddy.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Ultraute
Senior User
I too suffer the harsh ride of a lightly loaded E-350 4X4.
I also have the ocation to drive several different 1 ton 4X4 pickups that ride WAY better than the van. Wadup with that?
Thinking 1/2 ton springs with air bags might help alot. ? Or maybe full air suspension.
Can't afford to lose any GVWR, but sure would like a better ride the 80% of time I'm light.
Believe I've riden duce and a halfs that ride better.
There's got to be a way. ????????
Rob

Old 01-29-2006, 01:36 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> have the ocation to drive several different 1 ton 4X4 pickups that ride WAY
> better than the van. Wadup with that?

Vans are taller then pickup trucks, so they have "flatter" and stiffer springs with maybe 3-5 per pack, the pickup trucks have highy arched springs with 9-11 springs per pack, so it is a more progressive ride.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Ultraute
Senior User
So, what would be the consequences of switching to a pickup type suspension?
Too much roll? Bad handeling?
My van is stock Ford/Quigly (except for the 285 BFG A/Ts), and I doubt better shocks alone will get me where I'd like to be, ride wise.
Now, I'm not looking for a Lincoln Town Car feel, but this van has to be the roughest ride I've ever had.
Thoughts/suggestions?
Rob

Old 01-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Jamouneau
New User
Progressive springs?

Originally Posted by Ultraute
So, what would be the consequences of switching to a pickup type suspension?
Too much roll? Bad handeling?
Rob
My questions also. I need to get my front coils replaced and will ask the spring shop about the rear springs then.

Not sure what the Quigley has for front suspension. How much travel do you have with yours? Sitting with normal load how much room is there before the axle hits the stop?

Old 02-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Ultraute
Senior User
Man, I've got to learn this van better! Till you asked, I didn't Know.
Unloaded on hard level surface:
Front- 2.1" Rear-3.5"
There's no room for this suspention to move. No wonder it's so stiff.
Got to see what can be done to improve this.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Jamouneau
New User
Not sure why they do it this way. Similar load rated pickups seem to have a lot more travel available. You're doing about an inch better on the front than I am. Looks like my coils have fatigued and are down to 1.5 from the stop. It is a jar when they bottom. What is a good minimum for travel? 3 inches? 4 inches?

My back springs are going to break before the axle ever hits the stop. It looks like the rear axle had 4 inches of travel before the lift kit. Now there is 8 inches between the axle and the stop. Probably not an issue unless I decide to go do some jumps

A safety concern may be sway or roll. I don't see how a van with more travel is any different than a 1 ton pickup with a camper. I expect the cg of the pickup/camper is higher than that of the van, egardless of load.

I hope my spring shop has ideas. Right now I am planning on getting the front coils replaced to get to at least 3 inches travel unloaded. I'm going to see if they will also buildup some rear leaves for me. Hopefully a spring pack with more play will soften the ride yet still have the load rating. I'd try swapping out some F-350 rear springs but they are about 4 inches too long. Not sure how cutting down the long leaf would work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ideas for stiff riding E-350 4x4