Line-X quality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:11 PM
BamaChief
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line-X quality?

I just took delivery of an 06 F-250. I wanted to get Line-X spray on bedliner. When I called the local installer the dealership suggested, the account rep for the major aftermarket company strongly disapproved of line-x and suggested a drop-in liner. He advised the Line-X would fade and start peeling within 2 years. Has anyone had any problems with Line-X?

Old 01-16-2006, 08:20 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Not at all. I just hit 2 years and it still looks great. I would NEVER buy a drop-in after the experience with one in a previous truck. It rubbed the paint down to bare metal and started rusting it, plus the liner itself warped in the sunlight and cracked from the cold.

Line-X has a warranty that carries nation-wide (others are limited to the shop that sprayed it). I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions, but I say go with Line-X.

By the way, that's a great looking ride you got there!!

Old 01-16-2006, 08:23 PM
BamaChief
Freshman User
DonsFx4,

Thanks, I love the truck. I've heard only good things from people who have it, but the one question I have now is how long have those people had Line-X?

Old 01-17-2006, 03:23 AM
BFR250SD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Bama,

This the third truck that I've had one form or another of sprayed in liner. I absolutely love it. Will never have another truck with a drop in.

I've had a Husky, a Rhino, and this truck has a Speed Liner. All were very good and gave me no problems.

I personally haven't had the Line-X, but have never heard a complaint from anyone who has had one.

Have you even seen one installed? Hehehe! If you don't want to see a sander taken to the bed of your new truck, DON'T WATCH! The first truck I had the spray in put in, I almost freaked. I didn't know they sanded the bed down and all I hear is that thing going, I look in the garage, and here is this guy taking a sander to my 3 day old truck. I almost cried. The owner saw me and explained the process. Wheeeeeew.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:08 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my Line-X for 4 years, still looks great. It has faded slightly [truck is not garaged], but no chipping or peeling. A couple times a year I'll rub it down with some tire foam and it looks brand new. I even had my step bars sprayed with it. I will definitely have it in my next truck, and can't recommend it enough!

Old 01-19-2006, 06:23 PM
BamaChief
Freshman User
Anyone heard of Perma-Tech bedliner ?

Old 01-19-2006, 06:37 PM
fordguy21
Senior User
thats BS!! Plastic bed liners are the ones that fades within a couplle years, Linex will never peel off for no reason because its applied as a hot spray so it bonds with the bed, even if it chips or peels linex comes with an lifetime warrenty. I believe he told you that because either he doesnt know or he wants you to buy an dropin from him. FWIW, when I took ot my drop in so i could get Line-x liner I had dirt and some surface rust under it. IMO, drop-ins do more damage over time then they are worth!! ALso you truck will look so sweet with an spray on, then it would look if it had a drop in. just my 2 cents

Old 01-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Fat Ford Boy
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
We have Line X in our '02 King Ranch, and a drop in liner in my '01 XLT.

NO MORE DROP INS for us !!!!!!!!!!!

LINE X all the way !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Bryndon
Senior User
It really depends on how you use your truck as to what will and won't last. Personally, I have destroyed every spray-in on the market. And most fade within 3 months - although you can restore the shine (and make them more slippery). Also hated that my wheel wells showed every bump and bruise.

There are some people that love their drop-ins - because they slide things around their bed. Never seen one fade - the cheap ones will "peel", almost like sunburn (it's a surface only issue), but they don't fade. I have a buddy's truck at my place right now... it's a 79 F250 and the bedliner shines like new.

I never liked trusting a $7/hour kid taking a grinder to my truck - too much left to chance on the installer. And I managed to destroy spray-ins within a few months. Also, didn't like the way things slide. I tried a DualComp bedliner and was so impressed I joined the company. If you want to be able to slide things around, this is not the liner for you. If you use your truck hard, then you should probably take a look. I've dumped 20# landscaping block into the bed repeatedly with no damage. It looks like a spray-in, but has dent resistance of a drop in. And the rubber floor mat is the bed skid resistance available.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Kelly Aitken
Junior User
If brydon can tear up every spray-on on the market, then he has torn up a butt load of liners and is far rougher on his trucks then anyone I have ever known. I work for an Air Force contractor so all our trucks come through the motor pool. They have all been sprayed with Rhino and over the years they have taken their share of abuse. It is true that you can destroy a spray-on liner but if the liner is torn up, I can only imagine what an unprotected bed would look like under the same use. I personally have had two Line-X bed liners and five of my friends have them. I think Rhino and Line-X are both exellent liners but I happen to like the looks of Line-X better. They will all fade over a period of time but you can dress them up if you want to. I am in the process of redoing a '72 f-100 and when the time comes, it will get a Line-X bed liner.

Kelly

Old 01-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Bryndon
Senior User
The tear up comes from loads shifting - ever see what an engine block will do when it moves? That and sliding pallets - some loads just defy tying down.

My biggest issue with spray-ins has been the way the wheelwells get hammered and I still have to look at those dents and peeled up liner, every day.

I should rephrase about "every liner". 8 different spray-ins, including Line-X and Rhino. Of them, Rhino offered the best skid resistance, but tears easier. Line-X didn't scar as easy, but was almost as slippery as a drop-in.

Old 01-27-2006, 10:52 AM
CapeF250
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love line-x.
I'm on my second truck with it.This truck is 4 years old and looks great.
It hasn't faded at all that I can tell

Old 01-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Flareside94
Senior User
My uncle's Ram was Line-X'd, and it was nice. Managed to chip it off the tailgate somehow though.

Whichever one you have done, if you don't have bedcaps have them take the LineX all the way over and do the top of the bedsides and the tailgate.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:50 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,440 Likes on 937 Posts
i prefer the harder liners like line-x...not as easy to nick and scar

i have had rhino and line-x...th eline-x in 3 trucks...the rhino started chipping and peeling after a few loads of gravel...but i rolled that truck so it doesnt matter...

the two trucks i had with line-x are still going strong and look great...i like them because they arent as grippy as a rubber mat, but not as slick as a drop in liner. and they look a hell of alot better than a dang drop in

with my overall experiance, i would reccomend a line-x for the bed if you plan to use it....i had a rhino in the cab of a truck, and i think the soft liner works the best for applications like that

just stay away from drop in liners...unless it doesnt bother you having the paint rubbed off the insides of your bed, then dirt and water being ground into it and rust forming