1965 econoline supervan

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
hellfish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My v8-powered '65 gets 16mpg, so something is definitely wrong!

I also have weak heat... and I have an accessory heater... but I also have a 180* thermostat, aluminum radiator, and electric fan, so it never gets a chance to warm up. Check to make sure your valves are opening up and hot coolant is actually making it to your heater core. If the core is clogged, it will cost about the same to have it re-cored as it will to buy a new one, if it can't be rodded out.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:48 AM
syver
New User
Heater dead

Yo, thanks for the reply, the heater is not blowing at all, the valve seems open on the line, its gotta be electrical, heard it maybe a relay, or a fuse or blower motor, any other places I should look???

Old 02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
hellfish
New User
This is getting way off topic.

Even without the blower on you should feel heat from the core. Do you?

Connect power to the blower lead and to ground and it should spin. If not, remove the fan blower, put it on the bench and figure out why. It may just be seized up with rust, old grease, etc. If it does, trace the wires back and start checking relays, fuses, and switches.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:03 PM
syver
New User
ok

Sorry, I will try that, with no heat we are parking it for now, good luck on your ride, thanks agian.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I drove my 64 I got 13 MPG with it.
Heating sucked too. I got a new heater core and it did not help. The reason with my Econo truck was the front wall all the insulation from the factory was gone. So my truck got the brunt of the cold air coming in through any opening around the headlightsand the flooring.

65 was suspose to be a better heating system. The 64 and earlier heaters were floor mounted. The 65 to 67 were under the dash. So heat for derosting work better.
I will say the1st gen Econolines were not the greatest for heating.
A friend changed his heater core in his 65 and it heats better now, but he does not really use it for any winter driving.
The spongy brakes , you might need the system power bled to gt all clean fluid in the system. Other things could be leaking cylinders at the wheels. Or most likely air in the lines.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 PM
syver
New User
Van

Hey thanks, I agree w/the brake fluid, it looks brown, this van was neglected maint. wise but it is almost rust/ding,dent free, yeah it has alot of surface rust and faded but being a painter at ford for 30 yrs I got a good idea what sheet metal looks like. I spent the last 2 1/2 yrs on the FORD GT program, inspecting paint on all 4500.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 PM
scoobyvanjack
Senior User
engine swap

hey nookie
the v8 may run into cooling system issues. i though i would be slick worked up a 300 in line (same basically as the 240) had trouble finding headers to fit and the after market intake and carb. still required me to cut the hood and the rt side of the dog house. very tight to the rt frt seat and a fair amount of heat shield work. how ever with some work these straight sixes make monster low end torque.
good luck
scoobyvanjack.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:53 AM
scoobyvanjack
Senior User
I say think of it like a motor cycle. a big top heavy motor cycle.
be alert and consider a helmet my '66 has an hopped up 300, the offy intake required mods to the dog house. and the headers barely clear the floor plus had to modify one of the reducers. that six gives a downright snotty 0-60. gets to be a handful over 90. in a cross wind 50 can be a handful. i plan to add a steering damper and beef up the sway bars. fun for 440 yards. get some seat belts and be sure the park.. i mean emergency brake works. The '67 masters are rare. Their are conversion kits for duel circuit master cylinders, their a few beans but a good idea. in the mean time I'd find a remote bit of wet/dry/snowy road or parking lot and get used to how four wheel drums react to panic stops they are prone to pulling,locking and fade. discs are the way to go.

good luck
svj

Old 01-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Steven78
New User
Help for a beginner

I just came up on a 65 Supervan myself. I think it's a 240. Has a blue engine block. Maybe someone here can point me to an old thread or two that will help. I need a new radiator and want to get an aluminum one. Do they make ones that will fit with no mods? Also, my engine compartment needs to be sealed. Inside always smells like gas. There is thermal insulation on the lid but no rubber on the lip at all. What can I use? And last, any tips on aftermarket stuff that can help with gas mileage?

Pardon me for being an absolute beginner. I've never worked on cars at all before but am excited to get started!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Ford 67 Ford
Senior User
Old thread huh.
I've had my '66 Supervan for years now but it's been parked for about five.
Been busy with other car, motorcycle projects.
I think it's time to do a little revival on this by next summer, my son is kind of pushing me with that.
Doesn't want to start at the moment so got to do a little trouble shooting. Later.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
ennar
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Nookie
Just bought my econoline and was wondering if someone can tell my engine size by my vin#? E16JH666559. Also I know everyone ask this question but what is the easiest small block V-8 engine swap. I'm hoping to do as little cutting as I have to. Thanks for the info!
hey Nookie,
I just noticed that this is an older post and lots can change over time, you probably already put a V8 in your van, hah, but I was going to just mention that I did the smallblock 302 engine swap in my 65 econoline many years ago. It had a 240 and 3 speed on the tree. The only floor and doghouse cuts required were quite small and they were right where the exhaust manifold pipe/flanges sat on the engine. Two small sheet metal boxes took care of that. I had a custom made "baja cooler" 4-row radiator designed and that worked well. Engine mounts for the 302 were/are readily available and bolted right onto the former 240 engine crossover mount assembly. Fabricating gas pedal linkage was challenging and the 302 wound up relocating the transmission about 5 to 6" forward. If this is still an unfinished project for you, I would be glad to tell you or anyone in the forum about every nut, bolt, and modification that was required.