General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

schoolyard bullies

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
schoolyard bullies

It seems like everytime I read of a distraught teen taking a gun to school or killing their parents, the words " he was bullied" comes in the equation. ...

Just what is going on here ? Are the bullies of today, worse than when I was in school back in the sixties ? The teachers in my school never got to see the bullies at work either, because the bullies were smart enough to pick on us little weeenie kids out of the teachers sight. I survived the bully terror by using a survivalists technique called "evasive procedures". Are the bullies in schools now just predatory maniacs or what ??

Old 01-14-2006, 06:32 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I was bullied, everyone was, its part of growing up, we settled stuff at recess, with our hands and what ever was availible to us a recess after being bullied a few times, I stood up for myself, never was bullied again.

I think the phrase "he was bullied" usually means theres some deep seeded issues, like the parents dont care/arnt there

Old 01-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep..seems like we were all bullied by some idiot when younger. I think I spent about as much time fighting from 6th grade through Freshman, that my peers figured I was going to be a WWF star!! But I NEVER EVER thought of going and getting one of my dads guns and blasting someone. Now...going and getting my big brother and his buddy, if I was ganged up on... which did happen ... that was another story.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:26 PM
76 F-150 390FE
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think its the fact that people cant take responsibilities for their actions so they have to have something to fall back on.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:07 AM
witdog2020
Senior User
you said it man!

These parents not taking actions on there kids, or not paying enough attention, I a firm believer that these ADD diseases and sicknesses are caused by the parents lack of guidance. I know some older folks with some of these problems, so that makes it easier to excuse the kids.

My dad beat it into me about guns, and kids today are uninformed by their parents. Most kids that finally hit highschool that want a gun have never fired a firearm. Or they are uninformed about what dads gun can do.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
A cool story about a School bullies comeuppunce!
My Sixth grader brought his trumpet home from school with the front end collapsed.
He said it was an accident. I fixed it and kept wondering what kind of Accident it was.

I found out later from two other kids, that the Bus Stop Bully was giving Rick a hard time, and Rick busted his shin good with the Trumpet case. Hit the bully so hard the trumpet slid forward and collapsed the front turn.

When the Bully got to school he had to go see the Nurse. He told a story about slipping on the Ice, but the Nurse kept at him till she got the truth.

Suddenly the Bully's family, and Me (single parent) had to appear at school for a hearing on the incident. It was tense for a bit, but the Bully finally had to live under some restrictions for awhile, and everybody knew it so he couldn't slide. We were all neighbors.

And at the Bus stop, things were OK for a very long period.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:27 AM
roushracing617
Senior User
Bullies generally get everything they deserve, and it doesn't take a gun to get the point across. I would be one guy with a messed up knuckle and a broken wrist, just doing my part to teach the bully where he went wrong.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:44 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I got called into the principals office when my youngest daughter was in the fifth grade. Seems some 6th grade boys were making fun of her, and after awhile she got tired of it, round housed one of the kids and dropped him on the playground.

My wife was a teacher at the school- perfect. One part of me was nodding while the principal discussed how terrible it is to have a confrontation on the playground, while the silent part of me was thinking "I wonder what the rest of the 6th grade boys are thinking? I don't think she's going to be having that problem anymore."

Old 01-15-2006, 02:47 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,100 Likes on 2,162 Posts
yup. back in the day, you got a pat on the back for defending yourself from a bully.

now, if a child defends themselves from a bully, they get detention, suspension, or expelled from school. and the bully walks away looking like an angel.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:08 AM
johnstechhelp
Senior User
in my old neighborhood, there was a bully that always pestered everyone, including myself, and one morning i decided i had enough, so right there in front of everyone at the bus stop (about 25 people) i beat the living daylights out of him, 3 punches, he fell to the ground, funny part was, after that day i didn't have a problem with anyone else...

however, i do not condone this...sometimes it is best to be the bigger man and walk away...but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...

Old 01-15-2006, 07:22 AM
mwtmwt
Senior User
Originally Posted by witdog2020
, I a firm believer that these ADD diseases and sicknesses are caused by the parents lack of guidance. I know some older folks with some of these problems, so that makes it easier to excuse the kids.
I always thought that ADD stuff was a bunch of crap , until My son came along and I had first hand dealings with it.

So I must say I understand your lack of knowledge on the subject not having to deal with it personally but it is a real disease and it can be treated.

I know this is the internet and anyone can say anythng they want but you have no clue about what your talking about.

You are generalizing about something you have no experience with.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Dungeon_Master
Posting Guru
In school there were a few bullies who tried to push me around. After getting the tushies handed back to them in pieces it stopped. My father always said "You can fight as long as you don't loose. Because if you loose, I will be giving you a beating myself!" I have had enough of those growing up to know no matter how bad a bully beat me, dad was going to be much more worse. Gives you incentive not to loose.
I teach all 6 of my kids a differnt method to bullies then how my dad taught me. 4 girls and 2 boys. I do teach them how to fight,but only to defend themselves.
First: don't sink to thier level. Ignore them the are usualy jealouse of something you have or transpossing what they get from home onto you.
Secondly: Avoid a fight if it is poosible.If it isn't let them make the first punch and be ready for it.
Third: Never loose your temper in a fight. You'll end up loosing ,because you are not watching them and swinging wildly.Always out smart them the eyes and shoulders will tell you where they are going to swing.
Fourth: Bullies usualy have an entourage with them to make them feel better about them selves. So watch your back!
Fifth: If you kick thier butt. It does not mean you turn into them. A bully usualy ends up on the short end of the stick. And they loose good peolpe as friends.
Sixth: Don't go around bragging you kicked thier butt. And don't feed into the other kids cheering you on after the fights gone buy. Just tell them I stood up for myself and nothing more. The bully may come back with a few friends and this time it will be you against them all.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Come on guys, where is the answer to my question ? What is making the difference in the bullies of 1964 different than the ones in 2006 ? ...

Bullies were made of the same composition back in '64 as they are now. That being a low self esteem , smaller brains and a overabundance of tetesterone. That being a given , then it must be the way these kids being bullied today are handling these ridiculous acts emotionally then, eh ???

Old 01-15-2006, 08:07 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
We live in a more violent society- there's one possible answer. And how to young people have such ready access to firearms? That's another- although I don't want to turn this into a gun-control conversation. To me, gun control starts at home. If you have a firearm at home, it's your responsibility to make sure it isn't accessable to the children in the household, plain and simple.

edit: And what-the-heck are we doing up this early on a Sunday morning?

Old 01-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Greg 79 f150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by polarbear
We live in a more violent society- there's one possible answer. And how to young people have such ready access to firearms? That's another- although I don't want to turn this into a gun-control conversation. To me, gun control starts at home. If you have a firearm at home, it's your responsibility to make sure it isn't accessable to the children in the household, plain and simple.

edit: And what-the-heck are we doing up this early on a Sunday morning?
good answer and observation. edit: I have the flu and am not sleeping well, thats my excuse. I hope that everyone that reads my posts on here have a antifluvirus protection on their pc. Cannot speak for anyone here as to why their up so early

Quick Reply: schoolyard bullies