1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Gotta restoration going on years? Let me rant. It works.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:21 AM
berkad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta restoration going on years? Let me rant. It works.

I'll make this as short as possible.

If you are like me, life got in the way. I wish I had every available moment to work on my truck. I, for the last year and half, have walked by my truck and saw her finished. Time, money, money, three teenagers, beautiful wife and being self employed have taken priority.

Long story short, I cleaned the garage the other day and discovered I had plenty of parts, tools and time.

Trhough the years I have been and electronic technician, Electro-mechanical engineer and now I am a fabricator. Through the years, if I have learned one lesson, this is it.

Troubleshooting is simple, mechanical, electrical, you name it. Everyone here has the ability to troubleshoot. The problem comes when you start to think too deep, over think the problem, make it a burden. Maybe it is something you think you don't know. If you know where to find the answer, YOU KNOW the answer. Walk Away.

I learned years ago that if you walk away, come back. It all falls in place.

Ladies and gentlemen, don't feel bad you have not touched your truck in months, you have given it a rest for a while. Go back to it, with a fresh mind and attitude and you will finish more in a weekend than you have in a year.

This weekend I took a pile of parts and made it look like a truck because..... I needed to give it a rest for a while and that time is now over.

Your time is coming soon, just don't look for it. It will happen.

Thanks for letting me rant after a HORRIBLE beginning to January. I feel better and have moved forward.

EDIT: Sorry guys ment to put his in the general automotive section.

Last edited by berkad; 01-13-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:10 AM
minishtr
Senior User
Amen Brother!Some times life rolls over you and then you realize the simple stuff is the best.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:21 AM
Ben Wright
Junior User
No kidding. My 65 has been sitting for six months. All it needs is a new rear axle and I've done nothing. Too many projects. Guess I'll give it another try tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:24 AM
66fdtrucknut
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well said! Thats funny, because the last couple of nights I've been out in the garage sorting through parts, getting ready to work on the truck again. I haven't touched it in 5 months.
Charlie

Old 01-13-2006, 09:06 AM
Redmanbob
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mother nature is kicking my butt, the truck however seems to be comng along nicely. With no garage it's the boat restoration thats taking a back seat, M-F all week every week is sunny and warm and then bOOM!! Rain/Clouds/etc.. I wanted to take the day off today as every morning has been great and Sat is rain again... what do I find......... A MARINE LAYER YOU COULD SLICE LIKE CHEESE THAT WONT LIFT TILL 12:00 NOON!!!!!!!! Weeellllll I guess I'll just go into to work thennnnnnnnn!!!! Ahhh what the heck, I can read some posts all day

Right there with yah!!! Redmanbob

Old 01-13-2006, 04:02 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My '64 has been waiting patiently (does it have a choice?) for several years now. So far I've gotten it into the garage (harder than it sounds), removed the front clip, and am dis-assembling the donor chassis. I'll restore that chassis, than do a body swap. I'm trying not to beat myself up too bad for not getting it done quicker.

Old 01-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Young_unn
Senior User
yes i have very simple things to do with my truck, just havent gotten around to doing them. i should whiel its warm

Old 01-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Iv'e just finish one truck and now I look back at it and those 2 plus years flew by; but the best part is a supporting but tired wife (just in-case she reads this reply). My neighbors think I'm a very patient man; but good times come to those who wait..
W'ere just bless to have a project too "ponder the mind and dream about tommorrow".

Keep with it and it all works out well.

Mitch

Old 01-13-2006, 06:49 PM
phat56
Senior User
It took me 10 years from start to finish on the '56. My kids were very young when I started and late teens when I finished. I think it took that long cuz you gotta balance your family with the project. The best thing or advice I can give is this - get your family involved. Even if its only decisions on colours or style - whatever. If you make them a part of the project you can spend time with them AND get the job done. I tried this and it didn't work for me, that's why it took 10 years. BUT that's not to say it won't work for you. The point is this, don't sacrifice you personal family time for the sake of the Truck. It'll wait till you have time.
When this project was finished, I pulled up a chair and sat with my wife. We had a beer and the comment was made "well there it is. It will never be in this pristine condition again". It was perfect. As soon as the garage door is opened and the truck rolls onto the road, there will be something that will blemish it in some way. It would never be pristine again. So we crawled inside and made out.
Life only gets better

Old 01-13-2006, 08:10 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
I haven't worked on my truck in darn near 3 years due to various issues.

I'm hoping that this spring I'll be able to at least do some work to it.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:16 PM
jav409
Senior User
I guess in ways im Lucky, See I cant wate and collect parts and all the neet stuff most owners do. My 66 is my transportation, my ticket to work, play and survival, I would love to have a big place to work and take her apart, build that 600hp FE and do all the things I often catch her dreaming about. but life sometimes deals you the Have to start over card and well you have to start over, so the house, motorhome, honda ,and astro are gone, but I have my 66 and my bassboat and heck other than a tree to build a motor under who realy needs more than that. so Ill keep Replacing a part hear and there, and pulling a upgrade on my days off work, ( nothing to big so I can get back to work ) and catch a fish now and then.

Old 01-13-2006, 11:47 PM
Putt
Posting Guru
This last week I just started the 428 in my '66 for the first time in over 5 years. I have been slowly fixing sheet metal rust and repair, added front disc brakes, a custom built oil pan, and replaced the in cab gas tank with a fuel cell in the bed. At times it has sat for 5-6 months without the opportunity or desire to even work on it. I decided some time ago(Sept.) to get it running so I could move it into my shop(this work has all been outside under the sky). Since then I have completed cab mount repairs, core support repairs, inner fender replacement, painted and coated the front sheet metal, and installed all the hoses, wiring, and components on the front. It was just time, I guess, I completed more in the last 3 months than I had in the prior 3 years it seems.

Don't ever give up!!!

Old 01-14-2006, 08:08 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Jav I here ya.
I don't have to rely on my truck as a daily driver but am in the same boat otherwise. It is slow going a bit at a time when money and time permit. I don't have any room to take mine indoors so all work is done in the driveway.
I also have to put up with a bitchy neighbor who keeps turning me into the city for running an autoshop out of my garage. City keeps telling her as long as I don't do it for profit there is nothing they can do.

Some day I will get a bigger place that will allow me to do a frame off like she deserves.

I still keep at it. My plan is a 10 - 15 year plan. I have been working on it for about three. Than someone runs a stop sign and puts you back a couple of years.

Keep smiling and never give up is my moto

jd

Old 01-14-2006, 07:35 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have problems in my neighborhood, too. You can't have an unregistered or non-operational vehicle in your driveway, so I had to make room in the garage. My problem right now is how to get the '64 body on my '70 chassis without having it in the driveway for very long. I'm gonna have to have everything prepped, than do it one weekend. The houses are so close together here, that you can't get a truck in the back yard, so I have to do everything in plain view of nosy neighbors.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:09 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Hi I'm John, I haven't worked on my 66 in 5 years now. This is great, we need to keep out support group going, I feel so much better.

*** by ya,

John
rotflmao

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gotta restoration going on years? Let me rant. It works.