2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Kent Jones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 vibration

I purchased 2005 F-150 Supercrew Oct 05 and immediately felt that something wasn't right. I took it in at 1500 miles with a highway speed shutter and engine buffet at idol. They replaced 2 of the front Continental tires. When I picked up and drove on 1600 highway trip, it was obvious the problem was worth. The seats shutter, the steering shakes, anything in the cab shakes. When you get out of the truck, you shake for several hours after wards. By the way, the engine buffet excuse I've gotten is the computer leans out the mixture under no load for gas milage and / or its the third valve opening at higher r.p.m.'s (thats a good one).

I took it second time to dealer, they said tires were so far out of balance they couldn't get a reading. Told me they needed to replace all 4 tires. Good to know the dealer put me on the road after fixing truck with my family on 4 bad tires. Service manager told me it was tires and maybe a drive line issue which they couldn't do anything about. I requested an upgrade to Michelens at cost to me of $175.00.

Picked up truck and immediately found that problem wasn't solved. After the third set of ties and second brand, this isn't a tire issue in my book. After heated conversation, they took truck in for third time and sent to another shop to have a dynamic wheel balance. Good to know this dealer doesn't have the equipment to properly perform repairs or diagnostics.

I have heard nothing from the dealer now for 2 days, and refuse to communicate other than 'hears the keys, its your problem, its the third service, and you better get it right'. I've fought with the dealer everytime to get a rental, been lied to, conflicting stories, have their service writer hit on my wife, received no paper work first servicing, have to drive out to get it checked then drive back out to get the tires, etc. Everytime they admit theres a problem, but everytime, I get the truck back with the problem worse than before.

If it is not right after the third service, I'm pursuing lemon law through the Better Business Burea, I'm through with this dealer and Ford. Apparently alabamas pretty tough on the lemon law and getting the BBB involved while dealing with Ford will get things resolved much quicker.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:04 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
If you get a minute check out the link here, it will help you to navigate around and understand this site.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...88#post3272088

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!
Enjoy FTE and The State Chapters are located at the bottom of the main forum page.
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!

Old 01-11-2006, 07:39 PM
flushx
New User
I also have a new 05 F150 that shakes like crazy. Took it to the dealer, they said it rides like it should. The left side is what shakes so bad on mine. Been doing it since it was new. The bed will start jumping up and down and God forbid you hit a bump when it is shaking, you can't keep it on the road. Where are you from in Alabama, cause I'm from Bama too. I got one problem and it is that I didn't buy the truck local. So I get no help from dealers in Birmingham. Taking it to town and country next week. Hope since they are owned and operated by Ford I might get some or at least a little honesty. We''ll see

Old 01-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Phrekkle
Junior User
Kent, do me a huge favor and calm down....ease your blood pressure a bit I would be rip roaring mad too, but I know from my own case, that being nice (and Lord, it is hard) will get you farther, faster.

Second, check AL lemon law at their attorney general's website. You may not have to go through the BBB or Ford's DRB.

To protect yourself, try the Attorney General FIRST!

I have been through one replacement vehicle and one complete lemon, settlement process ('04 replaced with an '05...that I had to lemon).

Its a 2 or 3 month process, but well worth it, if you play it cool, and keep your files in order. (WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN AND KEEP ALL RECEIPTS!) your dealer HAS to give you a printout of ALL repair attempts.

Also, check AL attempt at repair number and send in your Defect Form before the final repair (its only a final repair attmept if Ford directs you to do it)

I was so meticulous I sent 49 pages to the state (average is like 8-12).

If you need any help at all, please post here....I can help you, and I will. We almost got the shaft really bad, ended up with every penny (almost) back.

Keep us posted.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Phrekkle
Junior User
I almost forgot.....read the thread about the bad shudder vibration in the '06.....it concerns the ebrake, but may be your issue after all

Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 PM
dodgeny
Senior User
good luck! my brother has an 05. that has the same vibration issue. truck has been to four differnet dealers for a total of 10 times. finally, somebody at ford in michigan had the dealership start attaching weights to different areas of the frame to curb/correct the problem.(yes-weights!!) it helped, but my brother still has vibration issues. he is in the process of starting a buyback claim

Old 01-11-2006, 10:09 PM
flushx
New User
The weight idea seems crazy, but when I got a load on it or towing my trailer I never once have any vibration. i am starting to regret buying a ford. Had a chevy in the driveway and looked at it hard to buy. But went with my history with fords instead. Is there any hope of getting these vibration issues fixed?

Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Black92 5.0
Junior User
No real solution

I doubt that the vibes will be fixed. I put 300lbs in my bed to help calm it. So far I have new cab mounts, a new driveshaft, a new rear axle (b/c of a whining issue and vibe problem), and a anti vibration damper kit, and don't forget two new tires and four road force balancing attempts on all four tires. It is without a doubt a design flaw in the frame somewhere. I plan on keeping my '04 SC 2wd until I get out of graduate school and then that SOB is history. It cannot be fixed. If you can afford an attorney, do it now and go buy a bowtie.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Phrekkle
Junior User
Just a note for all....you DO NOT need an attorney to file a lemon claim against the non-conformity of your vehicle to warranty.

Although the state laws vary slightly from one another, they are specifically designed to allow the consumer a way to file a claim against a manufacturer for a defective vehicle.

When a consumer files with the state, notice is given to the manufacturer, who then looks over the documents (repair history etc.) that you sent the state. The manufacturer usually requests an inspection of the vehicle (ours was done at the dealership, with the service manager), usually an engineer from Ford is there, but in our case, they already knew it was jacked, and didn't bother.

After the inspection, the local Ford Ops Manager (I know the one in Florida pretty well now), makes a decision on whether they will settle without arbitration. (They usually do).

Then an offer is sent out, and you either sign it, if you agree to the terms, or send it back to be reconfigured.

You can argue your settlement up to what the state would allow if you went into arbitration and won. Believe me, Ford won't give you anything above that.

If they decide to go to arbitration, remember it is NOT actual court, there is no judge, but rather a few people who work somewhere else or are retired, and have elected to be arbitrators for a small amount of restitution.

These people are something like a retired judge, a mechanic, and a schoolteacher.

Like I said, if your pickup is that messed up, Ford already knows it, and they'll settle.

Whole process takes about 2-3 months....but I stress....you do NOT need an attorney, and you will not recover any fees if you hire one (although I think in a few states you can) but why spend the money, it really isn't necessary.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Phrekkle
Junior User
And Chevy's have their fair share of issues....

Go to any of the chevy forums, and look at all their moaning and groaning....just the same as here, different badge.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
flushx
New User
I have dealt with lemon law here in bama with a dodge I had once. Looks like I may be doing it again soon. I sure hope someone at ford monitors these forums and realizes all they designed are high dollar vibrators.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Phrekkle
Junior User
Originally Posted by flushx
I have dealt with lemon law here in bama with a dodge I had once. Looks like I may be doing it again soon. I sure hope someone at ford monitors these forums and realizes all they designed are high dollar vibrators.

LOL that's the funniest way of putting it I've heard yet!!!

Old 01-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Kent Jones
New User
Vibration problem resolved

To All,

Finaly probelm was fixed. I was calm with the dealer and worked my way up to the general manager and basically just said all I want is it fixed, this is the third time, do what you have to do with Ford, or I'll have to take another course of action.

Anyway, they called a Ford Engineer in. After road force balancing, they felt a bad tire, again, replaced, still road 'lousy' which was the first time they admitted. These were Michelen LTX A/S so I had my doubts about the bad tire again. They used an EVA (vibration analysizer) and bottom line is they replaced a wheel and rotated drive shaft 180 degrees. It now drives smooth, still feel the bumps due to the F-150 super tight suspension, but its to factory spec and I've accepted what they did to resolve the situation.

To all with vibration issues, definately make sure three things are done, first get rid of the Continental Tires, second request that a road force balance be done, and third make sure that if you have the chrome clad wheels - they are checked and re-checked for roundness. Unfortunately it took me 12 service days, 7 trips, and a totaly of 3 services to get them to do this, but all is good to go now.

Thanks for the input guys,

Old 01-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Phrekkle
Junior User
Glad you got it worked out Kent

Stick around the boards anyway, lots of useful info here (and sometimes a laugh )

Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 PM
06supercrew
Senior User
I'm new here, but what was said by Phrekkle is very true. We have a number of gm service trucks and they have their issues. As a note when we (my wife and I) were looking at trucks the first one we drove had a vibration which the salesman referred to as a tire balance issue, that is what it felt like and I didn't think much of it. We drove 2 others (one we bought) and neither had a vibration.