2001 7.3L PSD in need of conversion kit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 07:48 PM
rcdallas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blhfla
I also bought my 99 PSD to run on WVO (and I needed a truck). I post/read Greasecar's forum daily (www.greasecar.com) - that's a good place to get your feet wet regarding WVO as a fuel (although you will deal with lots of 'lost' tree-huggers and posters not up to this forum's intellectual level, in many cases, IMO of course). As for kits, IMO I would suggest that Frybrid (www.frybrid.com), Neoteric aka Plantdrive (www.plantdrive.com), and possibly FN74 (www.vegiestroke.com) are perhaps the "best" kits for the PSD. I plan to use Plantdrive, as Frybrid probably has top quality components but they are not available a la carte AND personally I find the owner less than desirable to deal with; also the kit is overly expensive and I think overkill in some ways. The Vegiestroke has become more expensive and I have concerns with the thoroughness of the heating capabilities, although it may be fine as is. Plantdrive is available by components, but their kit for the PSD is a good way to go. Also they save you money where possible (you purchase "local" components, save on shipping, etc.). So far my customer service experience has been good - Craig/Ed have answered all questions even though I haven't purchased anything yet. Some (on Greasecar's forum) have designed/built their own systems, but I would go with a kit for the PSD (in my case it's Plantdrive).
Check out the kits and forums for yourself and I think you'll be able to start to make some contrasts to help you decide.
I think frybrid recently switched locations to somewhere else. I had seen on their website in the past that veggie oil was available, last I checked that is not offered anymore nor is a phone number.

Last edited by rcdallas; 01-23-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
blhfla
Senior User
Originally Posted by rcdallas
I think frybrid recently switched locations to somewhere else. I had seen on their website in the past that veggie oil was available, last I checked that is not offered anymore nor is a phone number.
I don't keep up with Frybrid as I don't care for the owner's attitude. I do know their website still exists so you may attempt to contact them; can't guarantee you'll get a reply as they aren't exactly known for their customer service.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:35 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
Frybrid has a forum that was very active until all the PSD owners got tired of waiting for kits. Last I heard folks have been waiting up to 15 weeks with no real responce in weeks. Many now are just trying to get their money back.

Currently Plant Drive has kits for the 7.3 PSD 2nd Gen, 6.0 PSD, and will shortly have a kit for the 7.3 PSD 1st Gen.

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm

Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 PM
jess11
New User
Soy oil ?

Hey Rcdallas, you say that you use soy oil @ 5 cents/gal. Where do you get that at ? I would do the conversion if I had a supply of WVO

Old 08-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Gun-Driver
Senior User
I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these systems for running B-100 in the winter? In other words use B-100 instead of WVO that way you would not have to cut it when it gets cold.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 AM
FN74
Elder User
Dannyo- Since we sponsor this thread, I suppose I should speak up. This is Jason Crawford of Dino Fuel Alternatives, and the inventor of the Vegistroke. My design that is exculsively based on the PSD was created from all the trials and tribulations that I had 4 years ago trying to make a system that was more reliable then what was available at the time. Instead of using a bunch of this and that, we made a ground up modular design that combines all the major components of a veg oil system into one piece that is a billet aluminum block and is heated by coolant. Plus it is fully automatic, including shutdown. I have tested this in -20, off road, buried in 4 ft of mud(had to have a dodge pull me out), I have towed 15,000 lbs for miles and miles, and even at the 500hp level, and so on. Point being this was designed for the PSD in nearly all situations and conditions. The system can be installed by a novice in less than 2 days, and is nearly completely failure proof. But hey, I have to admit I am merely a salesmand proud of his product at this point, so don't take my word for it. But at least please do your research. WVO done right is a great thing, done wrong you will likey sell your truck and get a prius, god forbid.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
willbd
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have seen a couple of vegistroke system. It's looks to me like the best built system on the market today. If you have a truck that you just drive and don't want to worried if the system is warmed up to switch over to WVO it's the best.

I installed a geasal system 3 years ago and made some chages to the system. It works for me. I switch between WVO and Biodiesel for startup and shutdown.

PS. Jason,
Thank you for be the sponcor of the alternative diesel fuel part of this site.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Sarasota
Junior User
Originally Posted by FN74
Dannyo- Since we sponsor this thread, I suppose I should speak up. This is Jason Crawford of Dino Fuel Alternatives, and the inventor of the Vegistroke. My design that is exculsively based on the PSD was created from all the trials and tribulations that I had 4 years ago trying to make a system that was more reliable then what was available at the time. Instead of using a bunch of this and that, we made a ground up modular design that combines all the major components of a veg oil system into one piece that is a billet aluminum block and is heated by coolant. Plus it is fully automatic, including shutdown. I have tested this in -20, off road, buried in 4 ft of mud(had to have a dodge pull me out), I have towed 15,000 lbs for miles and miles, and even at the 500hp level, and so on. Point being this was designed for the PSD in nearly all situations and conditions. The system can be installed by a novice in less than 2 days, and is nearly completely failure proof. But hey, I have to admit I am merely a salesmand proud of his product at this point, so don't take my word for it. But at least please do your research. WVO done right is a great thing, done wrong you will likey sell your truck and get a prius, god forbid.
What is a good email address for you?

Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 PM
AndysFords
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You also want to look at goldenfuels.com . They have kits with second tanks especially designed for Excursions. Their second tank goes under in front of axle and the filler tube comes out the same whole as the other one, you have one door and two filler tubes. They will sell to you or you can buy from one of their dealers and have them install it for you, either way. They quoted me at around 2000 for the kit and $1000 to install it.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
FN74
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sarasota
What is a good email address for you?
You can reach me at Jason@dinofuelalternatives.com

Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM
FN74
Elder User
We also have excursion tanks as well with the filler in the rear door jamb, and a 40 gallon underbody tank that does not interfere with the stock tank. Real clean setup. We should have some pic on the site soon of the Excursion tank setup.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
fiveohpatrol
Junior User
I have the 40gallon excursion underbody tank that Jason just mentioned, and I absolutely LOVE it. Jason and his team have a top notch product, with great customer support, so I highly recommend talking with them.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:05 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I have seen PSD kits from a couple other 'kit' makers. They look like middle-school science projects compared to DFA. If you really want to save money, buy the Vegistroke kit. It is a complete system, it works flawlessly and it is on-par with OE quality components. NO COMPARISON, not even close, to the other 'options'. Just look at the pictures of the components. Trust me, you won't be savin' any money when yer VO system isn't working and when your truck is being towed to the repair shop. Sorry to be so harsh, but I think most will agree w/me.

The DFA system exploits the unique HEUI injection systems on PSD's. The other 'kits' simply bandaid 'typical VO conversion' design to a PSD.

I built my own system 70k trouble-free miles ago based on early Vegistroke design. Recently, the wife got an Excursion and I considered DIY again, but the V3 is sooooo freakin' sweet - I had to have one.

The current Frybrid PSD kit uses the DFA/Vegistroke V3 module. I think there may have been a delay in getting kits out as they switch gears building a system around V3 module. I'm sure their kit is more $$, but it adds alot more heat to the VO.

I have never heard of anyone who got a Vegistroke system (especially V3!) who was not satisfied. There are many, many folks on the various VO forums trying desperately to solve problems from the other 'kits' on the market.

Jason C. is waaaay too modest. Their product speaks for itself though. Vegistroke, Bio Diesel, Alternative Fuel, Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems | Dino Fuel Alternatives

Old 09-15-2008, 09:49 PM
usherac21
Junior User
I have to agree with the two preceeding posts. I have an 01 Excursion with the V3 and 40 gallon tank. While I can't say that I know much about the other systems, it should tell you a lot that my wife will drive this with no worries. No switching or purging to worry about. The automation of this system is one of the biggest attractions. Also, the filler is on the passenger's side rear door jamb and is invisible from outside. All you see is the fill tube inside the fender. I can't say anything bad about the other systems, but the Vegistroke is definitely worth the money. IMHO.