Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Senior User

chadjones99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking to wash or not to wash

that is the question ?
i just started making my own bio , and it looks good and clean, i know the washing is for getting out soap, extra menthol ,etc but if i have a newer ford, with viton (?) o rings,etc do you really need to wash the fuel, it adds on a lot of time in making it.
anyone out there who does not wash, please give feed back
thanks
chad
Old 01-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Posting Guru

Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Chad,

I have been making BD for sometime now. I do wash mine; however you are correct it does add to the time frame etc. What I would also like to know is the amount of miles folks are putting on with unwashed BD. It does no good for someone to say "No I do not wash mine and its fine" Yet they only have about 3000 miles on it etc. I want to see higher mileage like 50-60,000 miles or more. So I will bump this to the top for you and watch it.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior User

willbd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Chad,

Fabmandelux has the most experience making and running Biodiesel.

his quote below....

"I've been producing Biodiesel for almost 2 years now. I tried washing and didn't like it, to many problems. I make approx 800 gal/week, and let each batch settle 1 week in my first tank, then for 4 weeks in a second tank. I've had two samples CG tested and both have met ASTM spec biodiesel. So far I've had no fuel related problems.FABMANDELUX "
95 F350 SC PSD Auto 4.10 Pro-Tech Aluminum Flatbed with side boxes AutoMeter Transmission and Boost gauges 6637 Filter mod 160K miles B&M 24K Transmission cooler Diamond Eye stainless steel exhaust 2 tank WVO

Bryan Will
Old 01-10-2006, 08:44 PM

cookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant futurecookie88 has a brilliant future
f250juggernaut
Not knowing much about making bio....I would think that free methanol would be quite hard on HUEI injectors.
79 Bronco Ranger XLT.. used be the driver, now waiting to become the project.
96 Grand Marquis LS... 25 mpg commuter
Old 01-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Posting Guru

Fire Rooster is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cookie,

Yes some will argue that it is not. However it really is, and this is why I wash. But like fab has stated he lets his sit for weeks. This will allow all the methanol to evaporate and or be recovered. If you bubble dry which is one of the techniques I use to dry the BD after washing, only use it to evaporate the methanol it should work well and speed up the evaporation time rather then weeks, could be a few hours.

Last edited by Fire Rooster; 01-10-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Junior User

rcdallas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Making 800 gallons a week? If producing that much definately out selling the stuff. That's alot of oil collecting....
Old 01-11-2006, 01:38 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
If you use the most recomended method, it call's for washing 3 times using 30 percent water each time. That means I would have 90 gal of waste water/100 gal of biodiesel! That's 750 gal/wk of waste water, a serious problem. As to miles using biodiesel; My 90 Dodge cummins has 42,000 miles on my biodiesel, my psd has 32,000 miles. The tractors,and irigation pumps have a total of 11,523 hrs on them. I have yet to experence my first fuel related problem. Before I started using bio in the Dodge I had the IP and injectors rebuilt, When it reaches 50,000mi I will send it back to the shop that did the rebuild and have it checked for wear. FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 01-11-2006, 01:38 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels