1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID lights in stock light housings

Old 01-14-2006, 12:34 PM
KG7VL
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You call that a high beam???

Hey, I just went to the web sight that Racer talked about. Here's what they said about their hight beam:
"Option for H4 Bi-xenon HID Kit with High and Low beam:

Our Bi-xenon HID kit with 2 different inputs for both high beam and low beam. The low beam is 35W, and the high beam is 50W (1.5 time brighter than the low beam, and see 20 feet more than the low beam!)"

Wow, you get 20 FEET MORE THAN LOW BEAM!!! They didn't say anything about moving the arc. Check it out it's at GETHID.com. When I go to high beam the sheild that gives the sharp cutoff goes out of the way and I get hundreds of feet more light down the road. The KC lights, I have on the front bumper, I can have come on with my high beams. They are a bluish 160 watt halogen off the road light. Other than I think they look cool on the front of the truck, I've thought of taking them off because they don't really add much light when I'm on high beam to the HIDs. I have the super white Sylvania bulbs in my fog lights and the Blue tinted KC's and both look really yellowish compared to the stock HID bulbs. Read the writeups at places like HIDtech about the simple bulb conversions for HID. I believe they have pictures as well of how those conversions perform. There are several HID forums as well, just search for HID forum and read what they have to say. There are some groups much like us, with Ford trucks, that discuss HID technology. As with the information here you can sort through and figure out what the straight scoop is on different products. Pretty amazing! Mike

Old 01-15-2006, 02:17 AM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mike, first off, i did say that i liked how they looked in your pic. the lights that i have are about 4 years old now. which means old technology. and because of this, my high beams are no brighter than the low beams, just "higher", to see down the road further. it's more than 20 feet... i do see that there are far better kits out there now. and yes, taking a system from a mercedes, bmw, and so fourth, means that you do in fact, get a quality system. this forum isn't meant for arguing, just discussion. the whole point of my reply was that alot of people, yourself included, seem to trash talk the conversion kits like mine. and the look i was going forwas just the light output, not changing the housing. and the only reason i have them in my excursion is because i had them in my 2003 grand prix gtp, and when i sold it, i removed them. they were just sitting in my garage collecting dust. again, i do agree, i like the way yours look, and i am sure they perform great. as long as we are both happy with what we have, thats all that matters. if i could get a real projector system like yours, i'd do it, but i dont want to spend the money since i already have my kit.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:30 AM
rolandos64
New User
hey racerx775, I saw your posting and was interested in knowing more about your lights. I looked under the link you provided and found nothing you talked about. the conversion kit i saw was 109.00
Im looking for som 5k HID with both High and Lows, and maybe some fog replacements. can you help me out? Thanks

Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rolandos64
hey racerx775, I saw your posting and was interested in knowing more about your lights. I looked under the link you provided and found nothing you talked about. the conversion kit i saw was 109.00
Im looking for som 5k HID with both High and Lows, and maybe some fog replacements. can you help me out? Thanks
You brought back a oooooold one my friend haha. And I will be honest with you going with a HID kit is not the way to go. Rob(racerx) actually did a great job on a HID retrofit, which uses projectors from another vehicle and fits them into your stock housing. I did one as well. Search HID retrofit and you will get some good info. As far as your question, there are tons of cheap kits out there that will give you poor results. It is your money, and your choice though so good luck with your search! And if you decide on doing a retrofit me and Rob will give you any info you may need.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:17 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
IMO, HID kits aren't the way to go because the factory reflector sucks. Most praise the HID Projector conversion as the ONLY way to go because the projector assembly is just a better quality unit, HID or not. They are usually based on E-code regulations which offer far superior light quailty and control than US reg housings.

This is not unlike the common Hella H4 sealed beam conversion years ago (still available but far less common). Those headlight housings were E-code (European) approved, offered far less glare and much better lighting than standard equipment US approved lighting. In fact, i have installed HID capsules in replacement hella housings with very good results.

The argument about the arc vs filament positioning in the capsule is not entirely valid because some housings use 9004 bulbs which have the filament placed laterally instead of longitudinally as in the 9007 bulb. Daniel Stern makes some arguments about the way the arc performs and focuses it's light vs the way a filament does, which may be true.

However, I think if you compare the dimmer factory pattern to the HID conversion pattern you will find that the amount of glare is similar but just not as noticeable on the dimmer bulb. I don't have my old bulbs laying around, but I'll get my hands on one and do a comparison shot against a wall just to see.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
rolando, i'm not sure on that link because it is a few years old. Dan and I have already done a true retrofit using real hid projectors with great success. Dan used an acura tl setup which are pretty much the best made so far. I got my hands on a range rover setup. As long as you use bi-xenon projectors, your project will turn out great. heres a pic of what my X looks like now....compared to a few years ago when it looked stock.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:10 AM
rolandos64
New User
my only concern is that after spending all that money, things dont turn out the way you guys were able to acomplish. Its too expensive of a project to not know for sure what the outcome will be. Im pretty savy but after looking a youtube video, Im not sure Im qualified to complete this project. I wish they would just sell them already made. I simply bought some silversatars and Ill keep you posted with my toughts and opinions....racerx775, thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 AM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
yeah,i wasted a headlight housing on the first try. i just asorbed it into the cost of the project. i was getting into the idea of doing another set for my truck using the harley lights. you can get an aftermarket set of lights for about $110. but the cost of the hid's will run a couple hundred by themselves.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM
rolandos64
New User
ive been on ebay since I bought the truck. Also looking on Craiglist. Ill keep you posted how things turn out. Do you pay for your membership on this forum? Is it worth it? How do people post pictures of their trucks here, you know?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM
chops3131
New User
Originally Posted by RACERX7775
rolando, i'm not sure on that link because it is a few years old. Dan and I have already done a true retrofit using real hid projectors with great success. Dan used an acura tl setup which are pretty much the best made so far. I got my hands on a range rover setup. As long as you use bi-xenon projectors, your project will turn out great. heres a pic of what my X looks like now....compared to a few years ago when it looked stock.

I know this is an old post but is there any chance that i can get some links to where to get the parts to make this set up i found the black headlights i want on headlightsdepot but I want hid projectors in it can anyone help thanks

Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
How bad do you want them to be HID?

I did the conversion in my 2001 A4 back when HID were a new thing. I got that cool bluish look in the original housing with a conversion kit.

Now that normal bulbs can do the super white instead of yellowish and after getting tired of the blue tint... I would definitely go for the cheaper super white bulbs. I also never really noticed a difference in light strength between the two so no real visibility advantage there.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
chops3131
New User
Originally Posted by Fastfwd
How bad do you want them to be HID?

I did the conversion in my 2001 A4 back when HID were a new thing. I got that cool bluish look in the original housing with a conversion kit.

Now that normal bulbs can do the super white instead of yellowish and after getting tired of the blue tint... I would definitely go for the cheaper super white bulbs. I also never really noticed a difference in light strength between the two so no real visibility advantage there.
I like the hid i have them in my other trucks and would like to do the same in my ex but I would like to ues the black harley headlights, I dont like the aftermarket headlights to me the stock ones look better