Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

rear differential leak up front

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:44 PM
98xlt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear differential leak up front

I discovered a few gear oil drips on the ground under my rear differential on my 2wd 98. while the drips seems to have fallen off the lowest point of the diff near the bottom of the rear gasket, it appears that the wetness starts where the driveshaft goes into the front of the differential and the oil is slowly travelling backwards along the underside of the diff. Gear oil level is ok at this point.

Do I have a major repair in my not too distant future and if so what kind of expense? I've got 85Kmiles and plan to keep this well maintained machine for a couple more years.

Old 01-07-2006, 04:39 PM
dag
Senior User
You'll have to change that seal, its not a hard job, just get a new seal ,rear cover gasket, and diff fluid. You'll need to drain the diff., pull the seal, replace it and re-install the cover. You'll need a seal puller, a large socket to remove the nut that holds the yoke in the diff. Sockets to remove the u - joint. take your time and clean everything reall good b4 you put it back together. If you need a tool you don't have most Auto stores rent them now with a reasonable deposit. You'll need a seal puller, The socket for the yoke and a large socket to seat the new seal, make sure the new seal is seated all the way in the diff housing.... it helps to have a haynes or simular manual too....

Old 01-10-2006, 11:16 PM
98xlt
Senior User
thanks dag! I'm going to watch it carefully for a while. Your directions are great. I'd need to get the puller and probably the manual for some pictures. I have sockets up thru about 1.25 inches, don't know if that's big enough.