General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Barking Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 07:07 PM
nomadic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barking Dogs

About a year ago my wife and I bought another house....Now this was long overdue since we had lived there over 30 years and the house had be paid for many years.....One of the reasons that I was ready to move was because the neighbors across the alley had dogs that barked all the time....24 hours a day.....I am not sure what the obsession is with dogs these days....I personally don't own a dog, and don't want one. It is not that I hate dogs but I have seen people driving down the street holding a dog in one arm and talking on a cell phone with the other.........Incidentally I don't have a cell phone either.....! Well, lo and behold, the neighbor next door to the new house has a dog that barks all night long.....Hey, I think the dog is just lonesome....I never even see anyone feeding the poor thing, although he looks healthy.....HOW WOULD YOU HANDLE A SITUATION LIKE THIS ......HELP PLEASE......!

Old 01-06-2006, 07:15 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,657 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Check on dog training tools, there are companies who make electronic devices that make an irritating sound (only dogs can rear) every time a dog barks.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:38 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most cities have ordinances against barking dogs. You could report it and be anonymous about it.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm with 97Centurion on this one.

There should be some sort of dog barking noise law.

Lately, I've been having problems with barking spiders .

Old 01-06-2006, 08:14 PM
seadoo
Senior User
Unless you live in a city like mine. I have neighbors that have dogs they keep chained up against my fence 24/7 365. As soon as you step into the back yard they will bark and won't stop till you go back inside. We have noise rules here against that, but for some reason no matter how many times the neighbors call about them neither animal control nor the police will do anything, probally has something to do with the fact the wife works for the city

Old 01-06-2006, 08:47 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My old lanlord had the same problem.

The police couldn't do anything unless they actually heard the dogs bark.

He would call both ACC and the police.

As soon as they drove up, the dogs shutup.

One day he called to complain about the barking and stuck the phone out the window.

Neighbors got a citation.

Old 01-06-2006, 09:11 PM
wolfman01
Senior User
While I can understand that this can be annoying, personally, I rather like neighbourhoods with alot of dogs in them. Dogs deter intruders. I live in a rural area, and while I do bring mine in at night, I can still here other people's dogs barking at the wind, moon, sticks, grass, butterflies, atoms, spiders, or whatever else they see fit to protect their owners from.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:51 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
Yeah, but if they're barking all the time it doesn't make much difference. Kinda like car alarms, and noone caring anymore. My sanity and stress levels are far more important to me than any of my posessions. If I looked out the window everytime I heard barking I'd never get to sit down.

Mine finally got their outside dogs down to an acceptable level of barking, after telling them to take care of it now, or I would. That lasted about a month until they decided to make their inside dog stay outside with the others (it's not a cute puppy anymore, out it goes). Now it sits and barks and cries all the time, especially when people are coming and going (which is all the time, mostly between midnight and 6AM). Of course the others have to join in (all Pits), I'm not sure if it even sleeps. I know I don't.

Spending all but about 15 min. of everyday chained to a tree 5 ft. away, what a life...

Try calling the Cops, it might help, but I wouldn't expect to call just once and have it be done with. Good luck.

BTW if anyone needs any inbred pit bull pups (brother and sister, most likely), let me know, they'll be born w/in a couple of weeks...

Old 01-07-2006, 07:35 AM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like dogs, I have pets, I like animals in general, however, I hate barking dogs! I moved from my last house because I was getting tired of fighting with my neighbor about his two stupid mutts. I never poisoned or shot a dog but that is exactly what I wanted to do. The incessant barking drove me to start thinking about killing those dogs! Barking dogs are extremely irritating, they go on and on and on. The sound a dog makes has the ability to cut through to your deepest nerve, there is no escaping the sound, even a nuisance dog an eigth or quarter mile away can be very annoying. If the barking goes on long enough it can make a sane person crack.

For you people with barking dogs: I suggest you get rid of the dog or train it to stop barking. In the neighborhood I grew up in, I can recall at least three dogs that were mysteriously poisoned and killed. All three dogs were generally good tempered dogs that never bit anyone or caused trouble, the reason they were poisoned, I suspect, was because they barked all day. Sooner or later a normally good-natured person will flip and sneak out on a dark night to feed your dog a bowl of anti-freeze. All it takes is two or three dog treats or pieces of meat spiked with poison; all someone has to do is toss the poisoned bait into your yard, the dog sniffs it, eats it, and dies in agony.

I am not asking anyone to hurt a dog, I stress the fact that I like dogs, and I love all animals, I give money to my local humane society and I have had my share of pets. But, I am giving this warning out to owners of nuisance dogs, because even if you owners are complete creeps and totally disrespectful, and have no empathy for how your neighbors feel, at least you should consider that your innocent dog may suffer if a neighbor goes insane and tries to poison your pet.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:46 AM
David1990
Junior User
I solved your problems. Give them Ex Lax.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:55 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David1990
I solved your problems. Give them Ex Lax.
Chocolate can kill a dog. I like the original method explained earlier: electronic devices that irritate the dog's ears. They'll learn after a while, and it's humane, assuming it works...

Old 01-07-2006, 07:56 AM
bobhsr81
New User
I agree with the barking tool. Personnally I'd crank it up. People shouldn't own a dog unless they have it as part of their family. Hunting....A little different. I have a neighbor that has their dog out and forgets. That one barks so I let my 3 lab's outside and stir them up, then the other goes in by it's owner. Just tap on my window and mine are back inside! No tools needed. Good luck, I would at least confront you new neighbor once. Then get the barking tool!

Old 01-07-2006, 08:09 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
I am a dog lover,but a barking dog will drive you nuts just remember its a dog! and it is the owners responsibility to shut them up.My mom had a good trick when are dogs were outside and would start barking and would not listen she would throw a cup of water at them always seemed to work and after a couple times they would listen to her.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:21 AM
David1990
Junior User
Sorry I meant to say Dulcolax. Dulcolax does not contain any chocolate.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:50 AM
A_G
Posting Guru
Try being nice to the dog. If its barking at night. (assuming its half way nice)
throw it a hot dog every time it barks. this may take time. But after awhile you can just tell it to shut up.

It worked for me. My next door nieghbor. had a little *****zu and i hate little dogs, cuz they bark non stop. And my bedroom was closest to there backdoor...oh...so annoying.

Quick Reply: Barking Dogs