Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yank a 7.3?

How hard is it to yank a 7.3 out?

Old 01-06-2006, 02:05 PM
BigHazard
Senior User
Man I will tell you this little trick will save you a ton of time. Buy about 4 feet of extensions to get behind your tranny / t-case and do all of the bell housing bolts from there. I would also pull the inner fenders out it makes getting to the exaust so much easier. If you have a good set of tools (swivel sockets, air / elec impacts) it only takes about 4 hours. The only other thing is my cherry picker was making all kinds of noise holding that big sucker up and it is seriously reinforced. once we got it up we had to roll the truck out of the way. The picker wouldnt roll (it is about 15 years old). Its not that bad. Are you going in with different motor? Rebuilding yours? Another idea might be to take detailed pictures of everything that way when you go back you have sort of a digital blueprint.

GOOD LUCK

Old 01-06-2006, 03:56 PM
misterfisher
Tuned
Pullin Motor

You're the first guy I have talked to who has actually pulled one of these, and not just talked about it. My automatic has 180k on it, and I'm starting to hear the jaws music in my head when I go on long trips. My Ford dealership says to pull the cab to get at the automatic, do you think you could get the auto and transfer case out of a 2000 F350 Supercab without pulling the cab?

Originally Posted by BigHazard
Man I will tell you this little trick will save you a ton of time. Buy about 4 feet of extensions to get behind your tranny / t-case and do all of the bell housing bolts from there. I would also pull the inner fenders out it makes getting to the exaust so much easier. If you have a good set of tools (swivel sockets, air / elec impacts) it only takes about 4 hours. The only other thing is my cherry picker was making all kinds of noise holding that big sucker up and it is seriously reinforced. once we got it up we had to roll the truck out of the way. The picker wouldnt roll (it is about 15 years old). Its not that bad. Are you going in with different motor? Rebuilding yours? Another idea might be to take detailed pictures of everything that way when you go back you have sort of a digital blueprint.

GOOD LUCK

Old 01-06-2006, 03:56 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BigHazard

GOOD LUCK
wanted to get an idea of what it will take...may yank it for connecting rod change out and other improvements in the not so far future.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if thats the case, best thing to do, is pull the whole front end off, and unhook the driveshaft and other components, and pull the whole assembly out- engine, transmission and t-case. about 1900 pounds if i remember correctly, and it will be alot easier to take the transmission off, and you can do the torque converter while youre at it.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

i have done one and i can't remember how long it took me but 12 hours start to finish sounds about right. i pulled it out the front. the delaership does pull the cab for anything more than injectors. they say they can have it in the air in less than an hour. not sure why you would have to pull the inner fenders though since the only exhaust you need to pull is the downpipe. the turbo does need to come off to clear the cowl. but other than that it is pretty straight foward. but yes your cherry picker will complain a bit but the same one also picked up a 7.3, trans and t-case at the same time so it could take it!

so if you have time, a warm garage, and some good tools have fun modding!!!

Old 01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
pulling it all out in one shot would be the best. it will weigh a good amount
1100 for the engine,220 for the tranny and about 115 for the t case.so look at 1450 or so

Old 01-06-2006, 04:56 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I think the Mitchell flat-rate guide says about 12 hours to R&R a 7.3.

Pop

Old 01-06-2006, 05:37 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
probably take me about double that!...LOL! I wonder how many specialty tools are involved. Figured i could rent a hydraulic lift too.

Old 01-07-2006, 04:55 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

i am a mechanic so i have a pretty extensixe collection of tool but when i did the swap i don't think it took any special tools but an good set of hand tools will be needed including long extensions to get the trans bell housing bolts. i also had a lift to work on which also made it easier. and since springerpop found the flat rate time of 12 hours it probably tool me more like 16 hours. i rarely come in at flat rate on engine swaps. plus i have many troubles with the turbo sway we were doing too. long story but i took the turbo off 3 times before we found the best solution then a week late the bushing shredded on the newly rebuilt one we ended getting and it self destructed the center bushing so i did it again under warranty.

be gald the superduty turbo is easier to get off compared to the obs turbo even though there is more room in the obs engine compartment.