1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

How to clean MASS AIR SENSOR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Schuby
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to clean MASS AIR SENSOR?

Hey guys....I have a 2000 4.6 with a cold air intake. Just cleaned my filter and I might need to clean my mass air sensor. I am wondering how to do it or should I even clean it? my gas mileage dropped a little bit the other day and thought that could be the problem. How often should I clean it?? Any advice would be great!!!

Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 AM
Grsyhands
Senior User
Though I'm sure I've seen methods in these posts on how to clean the MAF I'm not sure that would be the cause of your MPG issue. How many miles since the last tune up? And have you done anything alse recently ie new tires?

Old 01-06-2006, 09:05 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
i'd have to agree.....is you check engin light on....sudden drop in MPH can be caused by bad O2 sensor....and dispite what some people think even if your #2 sensor in either bank one or two goes bad that can adversly effect the mpg also....if not that i'v heard of the maf getting dirty and effecting the MPH....i'd say to clean it off....i've always used electric parts cleaner to clan it up...some people use a q-tip to clean it but you can break the element...just spray it on the wires and let alone....If your MPG dropped you'll get a code....if you don't get a code then mabey just a bad tank of gas or something.....thats happened to me also....if i run turkey hill gas i only get like 14 to 15 but if i run sunoco i get conistant 18 and 20 on the highway....

hope this helps......

Last edited by gui88ford; 01-06-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Schuby
Senior User
I think it was some bad gas....put some more in today & seems ok....do I need to clean the maf at certain intervals or anything???

Old 01-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Grsyhands
Senior User
The MAF is a delicate sensor and expensive. I wouldn't recomend messing with it unless you're absolutely sure it's a problem.

Old 01-06-2006, 07:40 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Man you guys kill me . The MAF is one of the most basic and easiest sensor to reach. It will give a check engine light if any grime gets on it. I replaced an O2 sensor once, and later found out it was the MAF all along. It does affect your mileage by giving an erroneous signal to the ECU when dirty, which may cause a larger/longer injector pulse.

Remove the MAF by disconnecting the plug and undoing the tamperproof torx screws. Do be careful of the filaments... try not to touch them... although some people get brave and actually touch them to clean them. The MAF is pricey, so you break it... I guess you get to upgrade to an aftermarket.

First off, never clean the MAF with a petroleum distillate (brake cleaner, carb cleaner..etc). Auto parts stores sell electronics or sensor cleaners... made basically out of alcohol. You can accomplish the same thing by putting rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, but be careful of the openflame and heat thing (causes a nice fire ball).

Spray the alcohol at the filaments thoroughly soaking them and allow to drip dry. You might try blowing it off with your own breath and then another soaking spray bath. Like I said, there are two filaments, the one you can see when looking down the throat of the intake, and the other behind the plastic, that's the reference leg. Clean both.

Hope that helps.

-Kerry

Old 01-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Schuby
Senior User
so you think I should give it some cleaning??...my truck has 82,000mi. on it

Old 01-09-2006, 08:10 AM
gui88ford
Posting Guru
if you do just use the electric parts cleaner from like radio shack or somethign.....i wouldn't tuch it....kinda fragile....just take it off and spray it with the cleaner then put back on.....thats all i did when mine got something on.....cleaned it right up....

good luck

Old 01-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Grant12
Senior User
Glad I read this I was scared to touch mine!appreciate ya!

Old 01-09-2006, 09:38 AM
jbabbler
Senior User
I have used Brake cleaner to clean mine with for years. I have used it on my 1998 Expy (sold it with 120k), my 2001 expy (87k) and now my 2004 F150. I have never had a problem with the brake cleaner and i know its getting the crud off of it.

I had a friend who complained that his explorer was only getting 9mpg and had been that way for over a year. I pulled the cleaner and saw that he had a dead ladybug stuck to the sensor. We carefully removed the bug and cleaned the particles that were left with brake cleaner and a q-tip, reset the ecu and Whaaaaa Laaaaaa! 19mpg again.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:47 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jbabbler
I have used Brake cleaner to clean mine with for years. I have used it on my 1998 Expy (sold it with 120k), my 2001 expy (87k) and now my 2004 F150. I have never had a problem with the brake cleaner and i know its getting the crud off of it.

I had a friend who complained that his explorer was only getting 9mpg and had been that way for over a year. I pulled the cleaner and saw that he had a dead ladybug stuck to the sensor. We carefully removed the bug and cleaned the particles that were left with brake cleaner and a q-tip, reset the ecu and Whaaaaa Laaaaaa! 19mpg again.
I posted this before in the 4.6/5.4 engine forum... brake cleaner is actually not cleaning your MAF, just 'cause you can't see it and it's designed to clean oil... it's still a petroleum product that leaves a petroleum residue.... I suggest you never use it.

-Kerry

Old 01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
xtrford
Posting Guru
I'm against the brake cleaner also, I use simple clear rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and a q-tip and let air dry.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Grant12
Senior User
I changed the oil on my 2x4 2003 4.6 yesterday and she is dusty under the hood the filter was a cheapy and the tube looked pretty gross I plan on getting a new air filter today and cleaning the air tube and the maf so I will go with the alcohol method that was 50%water50%rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle right?Any tips on washing the motor off and the engine compartment I bought her used and she came from dusty land.Scared to wash the motor so any tips please give them or tell me to start a new thread.Appreciate ya!Not trying to change the subject.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Schuby
Senior User
good question....I would also like to know...

Old 01-10-2006, 08:57 AM
xtrford
Posting Guru
Do not wash the engine with a hose or anything like that, all you will get is misfires and possible cop damage because of the deep wells the spark-plugs go in. All I use is a rag with soapy water and a good strong back, takes alot longer but is safer thats for sure.

Quick Reply: How to clean MASS AIR SENSOR?