Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 3.0L V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Senior User

propellerhead is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
3.0L V6 Identification

Is there some sort of 3.0L V6 identification guide? My son's 96 Ranger had an engine replaced but I wasn't able to find out what the donor engine was from. Would the engine serial number have that encoded? Where do I find the serial number? If I post a few pics of the engine, can you guys maybe narrow it down? I need an idler pulley for it but I can't just ask for an idler pulley for a 96 Ranger anymore.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
8th digit of the VIN is the engine code. Some more info relevant to the 3.0L can be found HERE.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Senior User

Well, the VIN of the truck doesn't mean much when the engine has been replaced. The problem is I don't know which 3.0L V6 is in it now. Aerostar, Probe, Ranger, Taurus, Tempo, Mazda B3000, Mercury Sable, Topaz... I don't know. Nor do I know what year the engine came from.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Post Fiend

Rockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to beholdRockledge is a splendid one to behold
Good point.

FWIW, there is supposed to be a "Ford Broadcast Code" sticker that is used by engine rebuilders to determine the exact engine and application ID. It is a paper sticker usually located on the cam/rocker/valve cover and/or the front cover. The stickers are often marred up real good or gone completely, but it's worth a look.

If you get the code you might be able to call a dealer or rebuild shop and have them tell you what application the code points to.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockledge
If you get the code you might be able to call a dealer or rebuild shop and have them tell you what application the code points to.
There's a sticker that's still legible. I'll write it down and ask a Ford tech. I think that's my best option now. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:17 PM