Blending Veg Oil into Petrol Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb Blending Veg Oil into Petrol Diesel

I read somewhere, possibly here that one can blend relatively small amounts of SVO into a tank of diesel, actually improving fuel quality and lubricity. I think the writer recommended blending a gallon of SVO in with a tank of conventional fuel. Not much but if it is actually a benefit to the engine and fuel mileage I would like to try it. I have access to some fully refined product (corn oil,soy) at no cost. Since I read about this I have been eyeing the price of SVO at the store and would not consider buying it costing 3-4 times that of diesel. The price of Powerservice is also getting a little out of range and maybe with this I could at least replace some of the lubricity factor needed. I am hoping some of you diesel heads out there may have some experience/feedback on this idea.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:02 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
If all you are wanting to do is replace the lubricity that has been lost by the switch to low sulpher fuel, then you only need about 2% VO, but you can run 100% veggie oil if you are so inclined.

Thread moved to proper forum.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:40 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Be sure to filter to 5 microns to get thru filters. If you have any engine warranty left. Ford might decline warranty if it involves a fuel issue. unless the veg oil is an approved fuel additive. Been thru testing- not home brew.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:15 PM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Talking Thanks for the comebacks

I would like to run the truck on SVO but I don't have access to quite that much and I understand that you need to modifiy the engine to accept it. I am also much too paranoid about screwing up my precious truck. Our Ag Dept. at work retains samples of fully refined oils for a certain time and then disposes of them. I just though I might dispose of it into my fuel tank a gallon or two at a time. I think I'll research the net some more to see how much I can safely add without any modifications.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Sounds like a good idea. If "fully refined" means filtered, I don't believe I would worry about it only using a couple of gallons at a time. Just pour it in and go.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:48 PM
rcdallas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have experience in blending veggie with diesel fuel in a unmodfied truck.

Adding a litre of veggie oil into a tank of diesel adds alot of lubricity to the oil and definately good for the engine.

Personally I wouldn't exceed a 20% ratio even in warm climates. Some run 50/50 which I have back in August but even in Dallas I've noticed unburnt fuel coming out the pipe in the form of white smoke even while the truck is fully warmed.

There is no need to filter SVO - Virgin oil as it shall already be clean if your buying it off the shelf. As far as WVO - Waste oil that should be filtered AND dewatered to at least 5 micron.

If you want to run 100% then you'll need to modify the fuel system.

OR if you want you can just buy Biodiesel at the pump and run with no modifications; According to your location your in Houston, follow the link below for a list of retailers in the Lonestar.

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodi...tate.asp?st=TX

Better yet if you like to experiment take the little bit of the oil and make your own biodiesel.

http://www.kitchen-biodiesel.com/

Enjoy.

Randy

Last edited by rcdallas; 01-05-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:19 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
As RC said no need to modify the engine just need to tee into the fuel system. Once the truck is setup, running WVO is a great alternative to diesel. I run my 05 PSD on WVO. Over 8000 miles since conversion.

I'd say if you can get enough WVO go for a conversion, much simpler then making bio. Also will be cheaper in the long run.

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm

Old 01-06-2006, 08:06 AM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciate all the good info. I have a good source of Bio feedstock but not a lot of time and a very rambunctious 2-yr-old son that might find the operation (which involves caustic) very interesting. Purchasing Bio here is expensive and really inconvenient but that is soon to change. Soon Houston will be Bio-Central as 4 large plants are going in right now that I know of involving some big players such as Stolt-Nielsen and Dow Chemical. I will share that I read a post on the web last nite that claimed there is a danger of separation at cold temperatures and beleive it or not it does get cold down here in the winter. The writer did not specify temperature but had experience with the SVO stratifying to the bottom of the fuel tank during cold conditions. That would be a pretty easy home experiment to prove in a clear bottle and a refrigerator I would think.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:54 AM
leskwvo
Senior User
SVO or Straight Veggie Oil and WVO Waste Veggie Oil do nothing except get thick in cold weather. There is nothing to separate its al just oil.

Bio not prepared and washed properly may do this I suppose. I don't know since I don’t use Bio or make it.

Your right about the dangerous chemicals involved in making bio. That was one of the driving factors for me to use WVO

Erick Panger
LESK WVO Conversions
2005 F250 PSD
Plant Drive Two tank WVO system.
Hotstk, Vormax, A1000 and Vegtherm

Old 01-07-2006, 12:34 PM
rcdallas
Junior User
Well people say depending on the feed stock that was used for the Bio, B100 gets thick at 40 degrees. I will say I have the same thoughts on making bio with the chemicals involved and is the main deciding factor in why I started with a conversion.

Now after having to take my Excursion in for common problems addressed on the forums, I'm reluctant to finishing the conversion on my Excursion due to warranty purposes. With that being said I'm personally going to start brewing Biodiesel to run in the Ex, Ford may say 5%, but it'll be alot easier to hide running Biodiesel when taking in for Warranty work, that and I don't have to be as picky with the oil, I'll taking the bacon grease and use that as well. In my area I tend to find quite a few people using lard which I've had to turn down. So I suppose it all balances out.

The great thing about getting into WVO, is I already have just about all the componets neccessary to make Bio.

I guess I'll have the best of both worlds. Can't wait till the Sheriff comes knocking on my door thinking I have a meth lab going on, that'll be neat

Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
It'll be the SWAT team. Who would visit if they suspect.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
And they won't knock....they'll just kick the door in.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:52 PM
94_turbo
Senior User
and you dont want those clowns around--cause you probably wouldnt be able to state your case-except maybe at the jail--in handcuffs---