1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Loud Noise ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 PM
jpjshy13
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud Noise ??

I keep having this reaccuring problem. I live in CT so right now the temps constantly around 35degrees. I let my truck warm up for about 15 mins every day. Then go to drive. It drives fine, but every time at cruising speeds or about half throttle i get this buzzing or sucking for air noise. I cannot pinpoint this noise but others have told me its because of my backpressure. I have a K&N intake and a 3" downpipe to 3.5inch hollow exhaust. I dont understand why i wouldnt have enough backpressure. I am really worried because i want to put stacks on this truck for spring time.. Can anyone give me any ideas of what the problem might be?

Old 01-04-2006, 10:27 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
it sounds like the exaust back pressure valve is closing while your driving it.

the ebpv is on the exaust side of the turbo theres a rod that goes to a lever on the exaust outlet and the rod goes into the turbo pedistal. under the intake side of the turbo theres a 2 wire plug. you can unplug this valve while the truck is off and drive it and see if it dosnt do it anymore.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:02 PM
sblncfn
New User
I'm having this same problem, ford has a service bulletin about it but doesn't have a way to fix it, I was told you can't unplug that by the ford dealer. Is this cause it messes something else up or because of an emissions problem if you unplugg it?

Old 01-15-2006, 03:52 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
Won't hurt a thing if you unplug it. Its their to help the engine warm up faster, but I gutted the valve completely and have noticed no difference in warm up time.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:56 PM
sblncfn
New User
Thanks for the info, Mine only does it whens its really cold. I'll just disconnect it now. Again thank you.