Rear speakers acting up

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:55 PM
wesc011
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear speakers acting up

I recently replaced the center console in my '97 Explorer XLT with a console from a '97 Eddie Bauer edition that apparently used to have a CD changer (there is a plug in the armrest compartment that isnt plugged into anything and it looks like a changer used to be there due to the shape of the bottom of the compartment). I was told by the previous owner (bought this off ebay) that it would work 100 percent in my car.

So I removed my console with a bit of force but it eventually came out. I go to drop the new console in and it seems that the left side of the console is a bit off center, the bolt on the left side is not reaching, meaning that the two storage pieces that come off the console don't line up flush with the rest of the dash (not sure if this is relevant to the audio issue but its a problem nonetheless).

I rememeber pulling the harness plug from the console out of my old one and noticing that my rear speakers didn't work. I just assumed that the harness that plugs into the console ran to the amp (factory amp) or the rear speakers, but I was surprised to not find any cables running from the console to anywhere else in the car. How are the back speakers affected by the center console?

Now my real problem: I installed the new console (somewhat) and plugged the harness in (screwed it in all the way). Now I notice that my rear speakers are very quiet and barely playing any sound. It seems like the majority of the frequencies are not being carried to the speakers, as I can hear, for instance, the words to a song but nothing else, no bass, etc.

I was wondering if this could be because I have the wrong console. I'm hoping this is not the case, as I bought it off eBay for 80 bucks before realizing that shipping would be 45 dollars. There's going to be no way to return this and its the only whole console that I have now. If its not the wrong console, could it have something to do with the fact that the console isnt installed properly? Thanks in advance for any help.