Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

I think I need to swallow some pride and holler for help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I need to swallow some pride and holler for help...

There are a lot...
A LOT!!! Of junk cars on my land left by the ex and her son.

I have ten days to get rid of them, or go to court on a zoning violation.

I have about twenty bucks in the bank, and need to haul all of these damn things to a scrapper. I think Don might loan me a trailer, in fact I'm sure of it.

Since the people who left them all here are not cooperating, I have two choices.
Drag 'em to the crusher, or leave them with the owners on their own property (rented).

It would serve them right, but they are incapable. I'd frankly like to pocket about a hundred bucks each for junking them.

But I need help...

The positive side of it is WHO WANTS SOME SPARE PARTS?

I'll give anyone a signed bill of sale who wants to drag these clunkers away.

Yes it is (from one point of view) piracy. But on the other hand it is the result of dereliction, and entirely necessary.

Last edited by Greywolf; 12-03-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:15 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
If I lived near you, I'd borrow my father in laws car hauler, complete with winch and send them to the crusher, I hope you find some help. Btw, after 30 days, they're yours, and with an order of removal, all you need to do is inform them, too bad if they don't come by, keep that paper.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish there was some way that I could help. If you could give some idea of what kind of vehicles were there, I may be able to help in getting rid of them.

Sean

Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I've been doing some checking. It looks kinda dismal...

One story has it that you can have a max of three unregistered vehicles. The zoning resolution reads "none", but that seems unreasonable.

There are a Toyota, Dodge 600, and a Zephyr left here by one of the step sons. I'm trying to contact him today.

There are a Nissan, and a Chevy Silverado left here by the EX - she don't answer the phone.

I have an F250, F100, Taurus Wagon, and a 1936 Cord (which I am going to do my best to hide in the garage).

Near as I can figure - I have 6 days to shed all the excess...
It don't look too promising, unless my buddy Don has his trailer available.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
There is usually someone advertizing in the Commercial Appeal tht they will tow cars off for free. I'm sure they haul them to a crusher for their money, so if you want to keep the parts, that's not a good alternative. It might be before paying a fine! That's how the bulk of my 90 Lincoln got taken care of.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:51 PM
3_of_7
New User
I'd do some phoning around, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting an auto wrecker to take em off your hands for free, on the other hand if you can get money from a scrap yard and you can borrow a trailer I'd say it's time to do some hand winching.

Old 12-04-2005, 02:58 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
dosen't the salvation army or somebody take junkers. If they do in your area it's not only a free towing, but a tax writeoff. That is of course if any of them are salvageable.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:51 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I just love it when a plan comes together!

I just got off the phone from the zoning enforcer - it turns out they are much easier to work with than I expected. I now have a solid month to deal with it.

I also talked to Don. He'll have a trailer here soon, and in the meantime we'll be pulling the gas tanks out of these dogs so they can be drained, punched, and scrapped as well.

The junkers will go to a scrapper north of Covington that Don has dealt with - should be good for $125.00 apiece, and me and Don will split it.

Far as the ex is concerned - they were dragged off for free. The last thing on earth she needs to know is that there is any money involved.

Hot dang, something is going right for a change!

Old 12-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Glad to hear that things are looking up. You get money and some room at the same time!!!!

Sean

Old 12-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Yeah - but look at the forecast for this week... ("Brrr!")

Why does it seem that every challenge, once overcome, presents more challenges?

Old 12-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Mustangsean
Senior User
Look at it this way...it's just like why/how we modify our trucks...If it were easy, everybody would be doing it. It's knowing that the hardships are there, and pressing forward anyway that defines who you really are. It separates us from everyone else.

Sean

Old 12-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I've got all but one out of the backlot. Next I need to start pulling tanks (They can not have fuel tanks in them when they go to the crusher). Since I went another round with gout this week, I've been delayed.

The Toyota is going to go over to the oldest stepsons place. There is a problem with the title. HE bought it, but the wife managed to get her name on the title... (See also: "Manipulative" and "Grabby"...)

So I'm not going to risk that one. It might be repairable, but I have a rule - I don't touch her vehicles if there is any way to avoid it. Not since a certain Mustang II she dragged home one year. (Long and ugly story)

Don has been getting jacked around by the people who are building his trailer. It was supposed to be FOR SURE, YES SIR, Done today.... They didn't have the wood decking done on it - not even started. But the welding is all finished.

Now it's "Yessir, it'll be ready tomorrow..." (Which is what they said a week ago)

Hopefully the first tank will be out by noon tomorrow, I may get two of them done. The last car in the back is going to be a hassle, since it has been drizzling this evening. When this ground gets wet, you can sink up to the axles in it. It isn't supposed to rain tomorrow I don't think

Last edited by Greywolf; 12-14-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:09 PM
amish77
Cargo Master
at least you still have time

Old 12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
How did I know I would not get away THAT easy?
My dang foot is still swole up twice its normal size. Mostly because I overdid it too soon... I got all but one of those nasty things ready to roll but for ripping the tanks out, and I can barely make it from one end of the place to the other.

I HATE it when plans bog down. Ain't real wild about bein' in pain either,
come to think of it.

It's real tempting to call a wrecking yard and just let them have 'em, but there's money to be made. The title problems would be in the way dealing with a salvage yard too. One thing is for sure, I'll have these things gone even if they have to become catfish habitats.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:19 PM
parks911
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forget about the title. The salvage yards will take them with or without.

Don't worry about your ex if she says something about the cars disappearing. They were abadoned on your property. You made every effort to contact the rightful owner (your ex). You couldn't get ahold of them, or they refused to move them, Scap yard here we come!!!!!

Quick Reply: I think I need to swallow some pride and holler for help...