Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2001, 03:21 PM
New User

fordcourierboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
ford courier engine swap???

I am planning on swapping the motor in my 74' courier with a 350. I know a chevy motor, but it is all I can work with to go fast. I was wondering if anyone has done this personally and could give me tips. Also I added a ford courier section to my web site so if you have any couriers that you consider in show condition send some pics this way and I'll get your truck on display. Later

http://www.angelfire.com/ks2/brethsvirtualcarshow/images/banner.gif
www.brethscarshow.com

Old 09-05-2001, 06:47 PM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker

Jason, This is an all Ford truck list here and we just hate it when someone comes in here with their first post and asks a question like that. It might be in your best interest to rethink it and put a 302 or 351W in there, or don't post any further and just leave quitely. :-)

Please accept this as friendly advise. :-)

John

jowilker
[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker|Club FTE since 01 01] My FTE Page

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NC Truck Owners] NC Ford Truck owners group

66F100s Rule
In the cool still quiet of night you can hear chevies rusting away.

Old 09-05-2001, 09:51 PM
Senior User

MEPHISTO_XES is starting off with a positive reputation.

Sorry,man. I have to agree with the good mr. jowilker. But...
You can put a 727 jet in it if you try hard enough.
Garett

http://members.tripod.com/mephisto_xes
Old 09-06-2001, 12:39 AM
Senior User

77_f250_460 is starting off with a positive reputation.

yeah screw that chevy engine, drop a 351 in it, it will last a lot longer and you can get the same preformance if not better out of it....then maybe we'll help you.
Old 09-06-2001, 03:06 AM
Elder User

BigBrownTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.

Like a 302 wouldn't be fast enough in a courier???

BBT
Old 09-06-2001, 07:55 AM
New User

fordcourierboy is starting off with a positive reputation.

Yikes I guess I touched a touchy subject. I know now not to bring up the c.... word in this message board. If someone wants to donate a 351 I would be happy!!!! It is that I have a motor in my hands right now that was given to me by a friend and I can't exactly sale it. How do the 350 and the 351 compare in length anyone know. Just for the record, I am 23 this is the first time I have ever worked on a motor, I come to this web site to ask a simple question and I get hammered on. All I was looking for was a little help. Not whether I need to put a rocket engine in it, all though that thought crossed my mind...........not!!!!! If this is the wrong place to get help on trucks well can someone lead me the right direction?
Old 09-06-2001, 08:57 AM
Senior User

78f250 is starting off with a positive reputation.

You don't think you are going to have any fit-up problems doing this? Pick up a trading times or call a few bone yards to get cheap ford motor that will bolt up a little easier than the 350.
Old 09-06-2001, 11:42 AM
Posting Guru

sparky is starting off with a positive reputation.

Since a V8 was never installed in a Courier by the factory, I would think it would be just as challenging to install a Ford V8. Sounds like lots of fabrication and trial fitting to get it right.
I have no experience in this area, yet But I can't see why it isn't do-able. But people here seem to frown on mods involving "other" brand parts. To each their own.
Maybe do a search on "V8 Conversions" or something like that. I am sure someone has done it before.
Good luck and don't take the "slamming" to heart some people aren't into real "hot rodding"

Sparky

Junk is something you've kept for years
and throw away three weeks before you need it.
Old 09-06-2001, 12:51 PM
Post Fiend

jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn jowilker

Jason, You can get all kinds of help here for Ford trucks. There is no other Ford truck site on the net that is anywhere near the size of this one. You just came here and asked the big NO NO question, that's all.

I understand you want to work with what you have, but IMHO you don't have a lot to work with. The Courier is a Masda and wasn't built that well to start with. A lot of improvements have come since that one was introduced. Putting a V8 into that engine bay will be a challenge for the experenced builder. You will not only have room problems trying to install the engine, but the front suspention will have problems with the extra weight.

You might do well to think about a different project.

John

jowilker
[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker|Club FTE since 01 01] My FTE Page

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NC Truck Owners] NC Ford Truck owners group

66F100s Rule
In the cool still quiet of night you can hear chevies rusting away.

Old 09-06-2001, 12:51 PM
Post Fiend

BB is starting off with a positive reputation.

I’ve seen a 302 in a Courier, looked like a tight fit. Something to consider is the shivie 350 weighs around 575 lb. while a 302 is around 460 lb., and the 351W is around 510 lb. Don’t have the overall dimensions of a 350 with me right now but a 302 is approximately 28” L x 25” W x 29” H and a 351W is 28” L x 27 “W x 30” H.

Barry

Old 09-06-2001, 01:05 PM
Posting Guru

sparky is starting off with a positive reputation.

As my Dad always said "If you throw enough money at any problem/project you will be able to solve it" !!

LOL

Sparky

Junk is something you've kept for years
and throw away three weeks before you need it.
Old 09-06-2001, 11:16 PM
Elder User

BigBrownTruck is starting off with a positive reputation.

Another consideration w/ V8's into tight courier engine bay is that the small Windsor's (excluding the 351W) like 289/302/255 (260s and 221s are too but not too common anymore) is that they are narrower than a smallblock chevy or a 351w. There are some places that specialize in info and parts for dropping smallblock Ford V8's into Rangers, I think perhaps some might also have courier info. Why not save the Chevy motor for a Chevy project? As a third generation Camaro owner, I know that as the 305's that came in so many are wearing out, that replaceing it w/ a 350 is a popular option. I have no doubt you could find a buyer for the motor. I'm thinkin that a built up 4 banger or a V6 would be quick in a Courier. Those big 2L and 2.3L were built up in Pinto's and whatnot. I'm thinkin' the balance in a Courier w/ a V8 in it would be terrible.

BBT

Old 11-03-2001, 01:06 AM
Freshman User

dads77 is starting off with a positive reputation.

dropping a v-8 into a courier is a big pain!!!!. we did it high school many, many, many years ago as a project. had to scratch build mounts, headers, floor boards, firewall etc. it looked like a grotesque hotwheel. but boy did it run like stink.....until we granaded the tiny 7 1/4 rearend,....that brings us to another issue. my advice,....buy a real ford truck, not the mazda wanna-be's and sell the chevy motor on ebay to some,....well, like they say there is a sucker born every minute.

dads77
f250 2wd custom
400m
my dad was the original owner
Old 11-03-2001, 07:46 AM
Elder User

ludis is starting off with a positive reputation.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Junior User

Old Rob is starting off with a positive reputation.
The chevy will require you to cut the front xmember out and refab it. Or get a front sump chevy pan. The steering will be an issue. The SB chevy is 1" shorter and 1.2" wider than a SB ford. This is going to cause a problem on the back cylinder with the steering box. The SB ford is a natural, stamped engine adapters and xmember are redially avail as well as headers. More info at Automotive Component Engineering. Welcome to AUTOMOTIVE COMPONENT ENGINEERING Also for some pics got to photobucket. Pictures by OldRob - Photobucket
Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 AM