Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Posting Guru

Poison Oil Racing is starting off with a positive reputation.
@PoisonOilRacing
While I used to think that the couriers are neat little trucks, I don't see any V-8 engine swap, regardless of brand, into a courier as an easy project. If this is your first project then you haven't bitten off way more than you can chew. Lot's of custom fabrication and engineering will be required and if you are on a small budget - forget about it! You say you want to use the Chevy because that is what you have but you neglect to understand what you don't have. MONEY. You can't just drop in a larger engine into a smaller engine bay without a lot of money.
You want to go fast in a Courier? Why? What are you trying to prove? That truck was never designed to go fast and now you have to reinforce the frame, swap the rear, fabricate the complete front end for the added weight, etc., etc. MO MONEY!!!
You really need to think this project through a bit more. Go talk to some local fabricators and builders in your area to get an idea of what you are trying to accomplish and see what they say.
Personally, I think it would be a cool project but not an easy nor quick one. Good luck and make sure you are up to the task. I am not sure where you are located but if you were close to me I would be interested in taking a look at the project for you, but I doubt you could afford my time to actually work on it.

Mark

1976 F-100. 289, AOD
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Posting Guru

@PoisonOilRacing
some more info for you. I found this by putting on my Google goggles and searching for 'ford courier engine swap'. Try doing that, it is amazing what you will find!
Anyway, I found this information that was posted on the internet in 2005:

I am new here but a long time Courier owner! It was my first car at 14 years old and I still have it today at 41! It is a 1976 model, california stepside bed conversion with a 302 Ford V8/C-4 automatic sway. This was my everyday driver from roughly 1981 through 1997. It currently resides in Dad's shop with a very sloppy steering box but a ton of good memories.

My father and I installed the V8 back in 1980. I remember everything about the swap and hope I can answer some of your questions.

First...it fits just fine. It actually looks really cool in the compartment! It is not a cheap swap, nor is it just a bolt in. Hooker Headers used to make a swap kit back in the 70's consisting of Motor mounts, tranny mount, and instructions. You had to purchase the headers seperatly.

The exhaust will not fit without the headers...period! They are Super Comps and thus ran me near $400 alone when my first set rusted out in the 90's. They are fenderwell exit and well made. They drop into the fenders about as close as you can get to the firewall.

The exhuasts comes out under the cab on the outside of the frame. There is enough room to fit a glasspack or a small turbo muffler on there and have the pipes turn out in front of the rear wheel. I run 2.5 inch pipes and Sonic Turbos on each side (yeah...old school).

The firewall took very little cutting and could be done with a big hammer if you didn't mind the look. Basically you have to clearence the starter area some (top part of the bellhousing on the starter nose). The top mounts of the bellhousing hit the firewall so we built a 2*2*width of the tunnel box to clear the ears and bolts. This let us raise the tunnel roughly 2" in the center top.

You also have to run a remote oil filter. It looks trick and by modifying the original air filter mount it sits on the driver's side inner fender in a vertial orientation.

The radiator is out of a 65/66 mustang. I ran a 4 row version. You have to cut the core support so the raditor fits flush with the back side of the support (fan side). You also have to build a top for the core support to hide the taller radiator...much like the firewall. I also have a 90 degree fill fitting soldered to the radiator so I could fill it without removing it.

I run a small flex fan with no fan spacer. Alternator only with stock eary Ford V8 mustang setup (same as a plain jane maverick V8). You must run singe grove pulleys to have the room for the fan.

You cut away the stock engine mount perchers and weld on the Hooker version. It works with stock Mustang engine mounts. This took a while for location! In and out came the engine until I tacked the mounts in place. Then remove the engine and weld tight.

The tranny mount was a simple bolt in place c channel with ears. It used the stock for tranny mount.

We had to build a buldge in the tunnel on the drivers side to clear the shifting mechanism. I run a B&M shifter (you could never get a stock Ford to work...no way!).

Driveshaft is out of a fairlane mated to the Courier yoke for the rear end. The rear end is rather week, and in the 150+ thousand miles I put on it....I destroyed 3 ring and pinion (pumpkin) setups.

Little things are a pain, but I believe I have a basics covered here. Good luck if you go forward....it was/is a great little combo. It runs hot and I never could get it to cool well in the summer...a problem with the small compartment and trapped heat. It will smoke tires with the best of them but it does not like to corner and the steering is heavier than a 1960's F600 but that is the tradeoff!

For fun I make a console, installed 70 Mustang Highback (done in black velour....snicker), and installed a 120 mph speedometer out of a Fairlane in place of the old Courier version.

1976 F-100. 289, AOD
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Rusty Roller

OldStyle has a good reputation on FTE.OldStyle has a good reputation on FTE.
Old Rob, Thanks for the info.

Poison,

Thanks for adding so much to this post but I thought I would point out that the OP posted this 10years ago.... Click the image to open in full size. 09-05-2001, 12:21 PM

1974 F100 4x4 360 flatbed
1978 F250 4x4 429ci C-6 33's
Old 12-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Post Fiend

montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
I realize this is an old thread but here's a lot of great Courier info for anyone interested...

Ford Courier Collector
Old 12-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Senior User

evam350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison Oil Racing View Post
While I used to think that the couriers are neat little trucks, I don't see any V-8 engine swap, regardless of brand, into a courier as an easy project. If this is your first project then you haven't bitten off way more than you can chew. Lot's of custom fabrication and engineering will be required and if you are on a small budget - forget about it! You say you want to use the Chevy because that is what you have but you neglect to understand what you don't have. MONEY. You can't just drop in a larger engine into a smaller engine bay without a lot of money.
You want to go fast in a Courier? Why? What are you trying to prove? That truck was never designed to go fast and now you have to reinforce the frame, swap the rear, fabricate the complete front end for the added weight, etc., etc. MO MONEY!!!
You really need to think this project through a bit more. Go talk to some local fabricators and builders in your area to get an idea of what you are trying to accomplish and see what they say.
Personally, I think it would be a cool project but not an easy nor quick one. Good luck and make sure you are up to the task. I am not sure where you are located but if you were close to me I would be interested in taking a look at the project for you, but I doubt you could afford my time to actually work on it.

Mark
He might be able to afford your time now considering he'd be 33 now instead of 23

I looked at his posts and in 2003 he posted that he was working on putting a 351 windsor in it, I wonder if he ever finished it?

Maybe he'll get the notification from all the replies on here and post back
Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Postmaster

ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.
Don't mess up the Courier...join us at Fordcouriercollector.com

HOLY...this thread is old. He probably scrapped the Courier.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Post Fiend

starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
I thought they were scrap when they mailed them over here. lol
If it breaks because of my advice
you can keep both halves
Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Postmaster

ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey now. I love my 4x4 Courier....just got to get it restored and rebuilt.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Post Fiend

starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.starmilt has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just jerkin your chain, not something I would ever want, but you know I have cut a couple up and made trailers, they really weren't very good for that either though, come to think about it. lol
If it breaks because of my advice
you can keep both halves
Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Postmaster

Well I don't know about the 2wds.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Posting Guru

@PoisonOilRacing
silly me. I assume that when a post comes in it is relatively new. Not 10 years old. I just don't look at/pay attention to the date but I guess will start now.

1976 F-100. 289, AOD
Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 PM
New User

Gamelunatic92 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It would definitely be best to drop the SVO engine into the courier. I too have a courier and this is what i am also considering doing, if the time and money plays out like i hope it does. It doesnt matter if the courier is "technically" a Mazda... its a FORD!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Senior User

ZP3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've always loved the 72-77? Couriers. years ago my neighbor dropped a WORKED 351 Cleveland/Top loader in a 73 Courier and maan did that thing mooove. I remember he painted it dark forest green and had cherry bombs on the sides like mini sidepipes. That thing got him in trouble all the time lol
Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Senior User

KIKKUP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.KIKKUP is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know this has nothing to do with the OP and that the thread is really old but never the less, I learned something new.

I never new about the 1st generation Courier or that there was even an electric version.

Ford Courier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guess it just proves that Ford will reuse a name over and over again...
Old 10-20-2013, 12:27 AM
New User

Trouble Maker is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am in the process of putting a 66 mustang Ford 289 v8 in my 1972 ford courier.
Only question I have on this swap is about the rear axle.

Since i do not have the original rear axle I have no clue what the axle measurements are, does anyone know? I am converting everything over to five lug, I was wondering if any of you know what axle would fit as far as axle length/width ?? (looking for 8" five lug) I just dont want to do any narrowing on the axle cause I am getting old and lazy these days.... lol
Old 10-20-2013, 12:27 AM