new to forum and new F150 (split from sticky)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 11:58 PM
Stevaroo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member w/ 2005 F150 XL 4.2L V6

I'm a new member and I was drawn to this forum because I saw people posting about their 4.2L F150's.
I just bought my first truck, (which I have been working towards for a long time), and as I have always been a Ford truck enthusiast, it had to be a Ford. As luck would have it, my last ride died while Ford was having their "Family Plan" pricing this past summer, and I was able to get a brand new F150 for less than most would normally pay for a Ranger.
My truck is a white 2005 F150 XL w/ the 4.2L V6 4x2 short bed w/ a 3.55 limited slip diff. and one of the very rare 5 speed manual transmissions. When looking for my truck, I discovered that new trucks w/ manual tranny's are very rare, unless you're talking about a Super Duty, which I can not afford!! So I was very pleased to find mine, (with the help of my fiance' who did some searching online while I was at work!) My truck also happens to have the work package and towing package, which means it should be good to do just about anything I want it to.
Since purchasing it I have installed a Sony 10 disk CD changer, (since it came w/ only a radio), and have had a Line-X spray in bed liner put in. I also put a K&N air filter in almost immediately. Otherwise, the truck is completely stock.
I have found no fault whatsoever w/ my truck. My only complaints would be toward Ford service departments. It took me three service centers and two months for someone to figure out how to install the Ford cruise control kit. But oh well, it's done now, and I'm loving my truck!!
I have heard many people criticize all of the new F150's for being slow, and there may be something to that, but it is plenty powerful enough for me!! Lot's of low end torque, and it sounds great doing it!!!!
I have thought about doing some things to increase gas mileage, but even as it is, I can average over 20mpg on the highway. I think that's pretty reasonable for a full size truck.
Until later, I'm glad to be here, and proud to be the owner of an F150 4.2L V6!!

Old 01-01-2006, 08:12 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Stevaroo, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steve,
It is nice to have you here!

Glad you like your truck and glad you took them time to post a message about it.

I too have an '05 with the 4.2 and am happy with it. Mine is the automatic transmission. The 5 speed was a very late offering for the F150 w/ the 4.2.

My previous truck (2000 w/ 4.2) had the 5 speed. I miss it but have to admit the auto is much more convenient.

It's nice to see another "truck guy" happy with the 4.2. I will be the first to admit it is not for everybody. If you have lots of heavy hauling or towing, it is not the truck you need.
But for me, it works great - and was WAAAYYY less expensive than even the least expensive V8.

Again, glad to have you here and hope you stick around.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:29 PM
byronbgs
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevaroo
I have found no fault whatsoever w/ my truck. My only complaints would be toward Ford service departments. It took me three service centers and two months for someone to figure out how to install the Ford cruise control kit. But oh well, it's done now, and I'm loving my truck!!
I have heard many people criticize all of the new F150's for being slow, and there may be something to that, but it is plenty powerful enough for me!! Lot's of low end torque, and it sounds great doing it!!!!
I have thought about doing some things to increase gas mileage, but even as it is, I can average over 20mpg on the highway. I think that's pretty reasonable for a full size truck.
Until later, I'm glad to be here, and proud to be the owner of an F150 4.2L V6!!
Welcome.....I own a 93 with and Inline 6 300 EFI. and get 18ish on the highway, 15-16 city. I would not expect to much better than 20 for your truck. Now the gas mileage might get better when its really good and broken in. Change your oil on a regular schedule.