Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 AM
New User

mstinnett is starting off with a positive reputation.
2002 ranger 2.3l coolant gage problems

I have no indication on my coolant gage. It stays below the C. I have changed the temp sender (two wire sensor at back of engine) and it still doesn't work. I ground the red/white wire that connects to the sensor and the gage in the trucks pegs above high so I'm thinking the wires and gage are good. Now I'm getting a check engine light. I read it and it's a P0125 Closed Loop Fuel Control Insufficient Coolant temp. Does anyone have any solutions for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:17 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
Stuck open thermostat maybe.

Are you getting any heat from your heater????

Are the radiator hoses getting hot????

If not, suspect the thermostat!!!!

Details are trifles but trifles make perfection & perfection is no trifle
(Ben Franklin)

Our signature is a sign of a job completed, autograph your work with excellence
Old 01-03-2006, 11:22 AM
New User

2002 ranger 2.3l coolant gage problems

Heater works fine. Everything heats up normally. I should have said that in my first email.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:30 AM

pawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to beholdpawpaw is a splendid one to behold
I just re~read you first post & realised you said you replced the TWO wire sensor.

The sensor for the temp gauge is a single wire, the two wire sender is for the computers temp sensor.

Yup, there is a separate one for the gauge, so I suspect it's bad.

(Ben Franklin)

Old 01-03-2006, 12:56 PM
New User

Do you know where it is? According to Chilton book, for 2002 and above, Ford went to one temp sensor which runs the gage and ECM. Also, when I ground the red/white wire to the sensor the gage pegs.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:17 PM

Well then, that tells us the wiring & gauge is OK.

So you need to check the senders resistance & see what it's doing, cold to hot.

Just because it's new, doesn't make it good, did you check it's resistance out, in some hot & cold water, before you installed it????

(Ben Franklin)

Old 01-04-2006, 11:46 AM

Another thought has come to mind.

When you replaced the sending unit, did you use a tape type ribbon dope on the sending units pipe threads, to seal them????

If so & you used too much, it may have insulated the sending units threads, by preventing them from making physical contact with the engine block, thus giving you an open ground connection.

So, check the sending units cold temp electrical resistance to ground.
If it appears to be very high or infinate resistance, suspect thats the problem.

You can check this out, by applying a good connection, chassis to sending unit case, jumper wire & re-checking the sending units resistance.

If you don't have an ohm meter, just apply the jumper, warm the engine & see if the gauge works. If so, you'll know too much pipe thread ribbon dope was likely used.

So, remove the sending unit & ribbon dope, apply some LIQUID thread sealant, like Loctite PST-565.
It'll squeeze out between the threads, allowing good physical & electrical contact with the block threads.

If your in a hurry to drive the vehicle after the repair, you can use Locquic accelerator "N" to speed things up.

You can get the PST-565 in a small .2 oz tube P/N 56507. Most autopars stores carry this type thread sealant.

Use this type sealant ONLY on metal pipe threads, DON'T use it on non metal plastic, or composit material threads, as it can cause some of them to stress crack, when you snug them up.

Let us know what you find.

(Ben Franklin)

Old 01-04-2006, 12:10 PM
New User

Thanks for the idea. I had already checked that and verified resistance between block and sensor. I am completely stumped with this problem. I have electrical schematics of the gage, coolant sensor, PCM, and all wires and have checked all of them. All are good. My truck seems to heat up fine so I don't think it's an open stat. I think I'm going to drain the antifreeze and change the stat. Any other suggestions as to something I am missing would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:42 PM

Well right now only two other things come to mind, maybe you were given the wrong value sending unit!!!!

Could be the wrong part, or maybe the factory put the right P/N on the wrong part!!!!

SO, warm the engine & check the sending units electrical resistance, do this both warm & cold, to make sure it's within the sending units specification.

I know you said the temp gauge would peg if you grounded it, but another thing you could do to double check the gauge, is to simulate the sending units resistance with separate resistors, of say 1/4 watt size.

Remove the electrical connector from the sending unit.
Connect one end of a resistor to the wiring harness contact, the other to ground, switch the ignition to run & check the gauge. If you've chosen the correct resistance values, you should be able to cause the gauge to read, hot/normal/cold & verify it'll carry the current & read as it should.

You could come by the resistors at RadioShack or the like, if you don't have any laying around.

Once you confirm the gauge will respond & read properly with a known resistance, then you can concentrate on the sending unit.

It's really a very simple circuit, just a current source(the battery), a milliamp meter(the temp gauge), connected to ground through a thermistor(the sending unit), who's resistance value changes at a known rate, with temperature.

So, seems to me, if the gauge doesn't read anything, you have an open circuit, or the wrong value resistance in the sender, or a bad ground.

Let us know what you find.

(Ben Franklin)

Old 01-04-2006, 01:42 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
1994, 2002, 23, 23l, coolant, duratec, normal, problems, ranger, resistance, sender, sending, sensorsender, temp, unit