Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2000 Explorer Steering Problem - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 12:44 PM
kevinm55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Explorer Steering Problem - Help Needed

Hello all,

I have a strange problem with the power steering in my 2000 Explorer XLT SOHC V6 (58,000 miles) and need advice and/or suggestions. However, first I need to give a little background regarding how this problem came to be:

This morning, New Year's Day, I woke up with a hangover and a dead battery in my Explorer (it was the original Motorcraft). No problem, I decided that I would go to Sears and buy a replacement battery. However, my Explorer was parked in our driveway and my wife's car that I would be taking to buy the replacement battery was blocked in the garage. I decided to put the Explorer in neutral and roll it down the driveway and into the street. When in the street, I turned the steering wheel approximately 2 full rotations (truck is not running) to the left, pushed the truck forward about ten feet and put it into park. Here is where the story gets strange. Upon parking the truck I opened the hood and distinctly heard what sounded like a metal part falling off of the truck. I looked underneath the vehicle but saw nothing/no part.

Anyway, I bought the replacement battery, installed it no problem. While driving the Explorer home from Sears I began to experience a shaking and unsmooth turning condition when making low speed left turns. I thought that perhaps the truck was simply relearning it's idle curve (after installing the new battery) but that does not seem to be the case; the problem persists. Steering at higher speeds does not seem to be an issue at all. When attempting to turn the wheels left or right while parked it is particularly more difficult than I can ever remember it being (also not smooth but almost "notchy" like it is getting power assist, then not, then getting more assist, etc.)

I have checked the power steering fluid, that is full and looks good. The power steering seemingly works and the belt looks fine. I hope I did not damage the power steering pump by turning the steering wheel when the truck was not running (but think I may have). I am out of guesses and would appreciate any feedback anyone may have regarding this. I have an eery feeling that my Ford dealership or local mechanic could have a field day diagnosing this bizzare problem (particularly w/ the history about having heard a part fall off the truck, etc.) Again, all suggestions will be appreciated!! Thanks very much in advance and Happy New Year!!

Old 01-01-2006, 01:52 PM
srercrcr
Postmaster
I'm thinking the metal part could have been a wrench that slid down to a nice resting.

Can't help u diagnose this problem, but I will throw "rack and pinion" into the realm of possibilities. That's the mechanical part of the steering system.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On an Explorer if you turn the steering wheel with the engine off you'll get air in the power steering system and it will feel notchy/jerky etc for a while.
Go drive it around a bit more and it should fix itself.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:34 PM
dogman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Racerguy
On an Explorer if you turn the steering wheel with the engine off you'll get air in the power steering system and it will feel notchy/jerky etc for a while.
Go drive it around a bit more and it should fix itself.

What he said, broken belt had to drive about a mile and had the same problem, problem went a way in a day.

Old 01-03-2006, 09:58 PM
vicv
Senior User
You have air in the system. Start the engine and turn the wheel hardover left and right a half dozen times. Turn engine off and check the PS fluid, you'll most likely see froth. That's the air that was trapped. I had this happen a few times after working on the front end/brakes. For some reason air gets sucked in when the wheels are turned and the engine is off. Scares the crap out of you when you hit a bump at highway speed, front end wants to come unglued.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:11 PM
wtppower
Freshman User
same problem, 96 exploder.

shop told me it was either pump, or rack & pinion, so they started with the pump, which they didn't bleed the air from properly, and after many return trips, the air finally went on its own.

Its air.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:09 PM
budman-mo
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes air. Just the way the rack and pinion does.

Everytime I put a Ranger or Explorer on the lift and work on brakes or front end (and turn the wheels alot) I get that too.
Do it too much and it will burp out the PS fluid.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
kevinm55
New User
Thumbs up

Thanks to all who responded. The problem was air in the system. Turned the wheel left to right (almost lock to lock) about half a dozen times and problem is gone!! Easy fix. Great website; really enjoying all of the informative posts. Thanks again.

Old 01-24-2006, 08:55 AM
chasitybray
New User
Sounds like you know a good bit about r&p. Yes this is a female with a small problem. No one can figure out my problem with the rack and pinion and steering pump. Spits it out even if i change the pump. Help a girl out???