Exhaust Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Dave23bme
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

so for my application, 75mm throttle body, with just the programmer and intake set up i should go with SS headers not ceramic? what if i eventually get the vortech supercharger kit, SS headers will still work? how long will the SS headers last compared to the ceramic headers? how much longer would the cats and O2 sensor last with the SS compared to the ceramic? thank yall very much for this wonderful information, greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
kspilkinton
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,
IMO -
GMS cold air cal'd MAF,
FIPK of your choice (essentially the only useable item left for an S/C set up is the filter element)
BBK 75mm TB or even an 80mm Holley (if it fits)
namebrand SS headers
True dual exhaust, with X pipe
programmer you already have
Then all you'll need is the S/C kit... for the time being (heads and cam can still be upgraded BTW)

IMO SS headers are a better bet than ceramic when going with a supercharger in these trucks using the stock exhaust pipes. Quality headers should last as long as you own the vehicle. Regardless of the manufacturer or coating, but do your research... I've read the horror stories.
I am assuming that as the temperature rises inside of an exhaust system, the temperatures of the components within that system will rise, too. These components are designed with a certain operating temperature window. Increasing that temperature higher could cause damage to the O2 sensors and cats. My claim is that with ceramic headers the exhaust temperature is higher when it reaches these components and would shorten their life. Am I full of it...maybe, but it makes sense to me. How long will these components last with SS headers? Hopefully as long as they were designed to last with the stock manifolds in place, as the SS headers have no coating to trap the heat.

Just my opinion, but I've done some research and have my own ideas about how things work and what works best.

-Kerry