valve job

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 05:02 PM
saxet666
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valve job

ok been a while since i last posted, but ive been reading alot when im not working. anyway, finally took my truck in to the shop for a rough idle thats been going on for a while and they pull codes P0171, 0305, 0401 and 1000. i have a scantool and the last time i plugged it in all i got was the 0401. i had previously replaced the egr valve, iac, dpfe, completely cleaned out the throttle body, the maf sensor and replaced the plugs. i never got any improvement in the idle so thats why i finally took it in. they now tell me i have a burned out #5 valve and a valve job would cost me $3000.00, yes you read right $3000.00. so basically i have a useless truck that im still paying on. obviously im a little fumed at my situation, but i was wondering if anybody had any brilliant ideas on what i could do with this truck besides driving into bill fords living room and parking it.

99 f150 5.4 4x4

Old 12-30-2005, 11:13 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess you could get a second opinion. I wouldn't think that a burnt valve would cause a misfire code (0305). A compression check needs to be done. Also, make sure that a cam follower hasn't fallen off.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:56 AM
geoaigel
Elder User
The diagnosis is a bit fast for my taste. What did they give you in terms of test results? Take the truck to another place, possibly an independant joint with a good reputation and ask for a leak down check. This means the cylinders are pressurized through the spark plug hole at top dead center compression stroke. You can tell how much each cylinder leaks and more importantly, where the leak is going. This would eliminate the possibility bad cam followers (or point to them). If it were a bad exhaust valve, you would hear a hiss on the exhaust port ... A leak down checker costs under $100 and you can do this yourself, if you have compressed air available.

If the diagnosis is correct and you need a new exhaust valve, 3k seems a bit steep for a valve job. For $350 you can get a new head (www.rockauto.com) and have an independant shop install it. Should be much less than 3k and in a truck that's back to normal. At the mileage your truck has, it would be worth the investment. Heck, at that mileage I'd only replace the one bad valve, resurface and slap it back on!

I wanted to point out that you can replace the head yourself. You just need some elbow grease. If it takes you a couple weekends and you save $2k, it would be worth it ...

So, tell me about your truck, do you run it hard? I can not see how you'd burn up an exhaust valve at that mileage.

Good Luck, George

Old 12-31-2005, 10:54 AM
saxet666
New User
valve job details

really, really appreciate the replies. exact wording of my receipt is as follows:

basic engine and computer diagnostic. scan computer system, includes visual inspection and tsb search. p0171, p0305, p0401, p1000.

test misfire on cylinder #5. has fuel and injector pulse. has spark - although coolant from thermostat housing is leaking on that coil and plug. test compression - low 30 psi. performed air leakage test - has bad valve - needs a valve job.

all this for only $150;( now although i have put about 30,000 miles on the truck in the last year since i bought it used, i do take care of it, change my oil, coolant flush, tranny flush etc. my driving habits i would rate as conservative and mainly drive to and from work, about 20 miles round trip, and being as how im a carpenter i get to work at 6:30 and leave at 3:30, so not much traffic or stop and go driving.

ever since the rough idle appeared, i have also used seafoam twice, techron a few times and have used nothing but either texaco with techron or chevron with techron gas. im probably going to be doing this myself, but being as how i live in an apartment it could be rather difficult and time consuming.

again i really appreciate the tips.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Well, from their report it sounds like the shop actually did do a thorrough job diagnosing. The "air leakage test" is what I call a leak down check. That's what pointed them to the exhaust valve.

I am a careful person, so if it were me, I would act stupid and have another shop diagnose it from scratch. If they come to the same conclusion it is either time to sell or fix the truck.

Really sorry to hear that the truck has this much trouble this early, especially after you took good care of it. If this were to happen at 200k miles, the truck would have done it's duty, but not at less than half that.

Let me know if you need more help.

George

Old 12-31-2005, 02:25 PM
saxet666
New User
valve job

yeah im more than a little frustrated that this has happened this early in the truck's life. i had planned on keeping it for quite a while, but now i just don't know. since i bought it used, i still owe more than its worth, so im going to try and do this job myself on the one valve and see what happens. if i can get it done and running, then i will trade up and get me a newer model f250 diesel.

thanks again for ya'lls help, im diggin' in.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:46 PM
geoaigel
Elder User
Sounds like a plan. Post again once you get started. I am doing a head R&R on my 4.6 as we speak and can answer any questions you may have. Took just over 12 hours to take apart. I estimate I can do it under 25 hours total, and that's taking my time ...

George