1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Steering box

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:11 PM
GaryJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering box

Well, I guess I need a new steering box. I have some play in the wheel and when I look I can see the steering shaft move but the pitman arm really isn't. The truck wanders a bit when rolling along and I would like to get that taken care of.

I have looked online and the boxes go for $200 and up. Is there any way to rebuild one of these things? Ford sells pitman shafts and the ball and worm pieces. Or are there more pieces I need that I can't probably buy?

Also, if I buy a new complete box, is there any real advantage in spending more on a lightning unit?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Johns9163
Senior User
You can buy a rebuilt box at a local rebuilder. Replace the pitman at the same time. The rebuilt box should be no more than about $100, installed. I would not try to rebuild one unless you have done so before. The lightning box is really not worth it IMHO. I mean, in all reality, do you really need it?

Old 12-31-2005, 10:16 PM
GaryJ
Senior User
I'd like you to show me where I can get a rebuilt unit installed for $100. The cheapest I can find are used from wrecking yards that are anywhere from $125 on down, and I'm not excited about that kind of part from a vehicle that I know was in a wreck.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:38 AM
mat-helm
Senior User
You may be able to tighten it up a bit. Some where on top of the box should be an adjusting screw (flat head) with a big nut around it. If you loosen the nut and turn the screw a 1/4 to 1/2 turn or so it should take some of the play out. If you get it too tight your power steering will squeal like a stuck pig.

Old 01-01-2006, 09:53 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
i have a hard time believing the steeering box is bad on a truck that is only a few years old. How many miles? what have you used it for? there is an idler bracket that is attached to the frame right of center, about same place the steering box arm comes down. i have seen the bushing worn in that anchor arm. how about lifting one wheel an inch off the ground and have someone wiggle it and see what happens to the attaching links.--- start at the tire and work backward, not at the steering wheel and work down. might also check the lower ball joints when the tire is off the ground.--- im not saying the gear box does not have some play as you said, just wonder if it is abnormal or excessive.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:01 PM
GaryJ
Senior User
The idler has been replaced. The truck has 88k miles and I have just owned it the last 4 months but its been worked pretty good. One of the previous owners pulled a 5th wheel with it. I tightened the adjuster on it once and it helped a bit, but I have read on here that you don't want to over tighten it. I have no idea how much that is.

I can see the shaft from the steering column turning back and forth, but there is basically no movement in the pitman shaft unless you turn the wheel more than a little bit. I find myself constantly steering the truck down the road and when its windy out, its even worse. Im all over the place.