Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM
New User

Forddeiselman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Stuck wastegate on a 6.0 Garrett turbo

Who was it that said that the 6.0 does not have a wastegate?

Mine has stuck several times and I had to replace it today at a cost of $399.00 just for the part.

It is mounted on the side of the Garrett turbo and dumps exhaust gases to regulate the turbo boost.

Since exhaust gasses pass through it, it sometimes gets plugged with carbon according to the dealer. I got tired of trying to clean it, so I replaced it today.

When it fails, the turbo won't build boost and the truck will fall flat on its face..

Result: No power. It will run at idle fine, but when you try to tromp it, nothing.

Forddieselman..

All replies welcome.

And howdy to ya'all
Old 12-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!
If you get a minute check out the link here, it will help you to navigate around and understand this site.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300691

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!
Enjoy FTE and The State Chapters are located at the bottom of the main forum page.
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
See you on the boards. ….

Moved and member notified
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 12-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Worshiped Member

EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.
Is there anyway you could post a part#. I'm no expert on these engines, but I know for fact that they do not have a wastegate. The VGT vanes control the amount of exhaust backpressure inside the turbo by opening or closing. So I'm curious as to what part you had replaced/problems with. It could be someone is using the wrong term for a part. The price and problems you gave sounds like you had the EGR valve replaced.
Interior:Exquisitely Stock. Like the day I bought It.
Engine: Same as Interior
"A Horn is NOT a doorbell!"

Last edited by EnviroCon; 12-29-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Posting Guru

PSD6litre40 is starting off with a positive reputation.
These engines DO NOT have a wastegate I gaurantee you that, a wastegate dumps on the compressor side of the turbo not the impeller side........

2008 F-250 CC Lariat Black 4x4 w/ 20's (33000 Miles so far)
Mods so far:
- 4" Cherry Bomb/Flo-Pro Duals
- Custom DOC/DPF Delete Pipe
- Spartan Phalanx w/ 250HP Tune
- S&B Intake
- Billet Fender Vent Inserts
- Toyo 35" Open Country M/T
- 2.5" Donahoe Racing Lift Kit
Old 12-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Worshiped Member

EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.EnviroCon has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddeiselman
It has what is called ERTV. Something with electronically controlled turbo vanes. It also had the wastegate valve on it like I mentioned in my post. If you look at the turbo from the passenger side, it is right in the middle of the turbo between the exhaust and the intake wheels.

Forddieselman.
Based on that description, I think your referring to the VGT control valve. From what I understand this valve uses oil to operate the piston that controls the turbo's vanes. Either opening or closing them. So I guess in a very roundabout way it does the same job that a wastegate would do, but it's no waste gate. Unfortunately someone with actual experience working on these engines would have to tell you why it's being a problem.
Interior:Exquisitely Stock. Like the day I bought It.
Engine: Same as Interior
"A Horn is NOT a doorbell!"
Old 12-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Elder User

CanadaGuy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
You are certainly describing the VGT actuator. If you've had to have yours replaced several times, perhaps you've got another problem... probably stuck or sticking vanes in the turbo. It doesn't function as a wastegate, what it does is open and close vanes in the turbo to change the size of the turbine housing to give you the best all around performance.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 PM
New User

mph454 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford 6.0 turbo

Check out this website: www.powerstroke.com It has a gread clip explaining hoe the Garrett VGT turbo works!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Posting Guru

Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.
link no worky
Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Elder User

_Me2_ has a good reputation on FTE._Me2_ has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40 View Post
These engines DO NOT have a wastegate I gaurantee you that, a wastegate dumps on the compressor side of the turbo not the impeller side........
Actually, a wastegate dumps from the exhaust side. A BOV or bypass valve dumps from the compressor side.
2005 F-250 6.0 Lariat CCLB FX4 4X4, ARP studs, SRL Extreme tune, Bulletproof EGR Cooler, HPO system updated, Fabtech 6" lift, Nitto Terra Grappler 34" tires, blue spring, coolant filter, MBRP 4" turbo-back exhaust.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Posting Guru

High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.High Binder has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddeiselman View Post
Who was it that said that the 6.0 does not have a wastegate?

Mine has stuck several times and I had to replace it today at a cost of $399.00 just for the part.

I'll sell you your next waste-gate for only $299.00

2004 F350 6.0. Lariat FX4. Other assorted cars/bikes.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
As others have said, there is no wastegate. You are describing the VGT actuator. If your dealer is calling it a wastegate, then I would recommend you find another dealer...
Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph454 View Post
Check out this website: www.powerstroke.com It has a gread clip explaining hoe the Garrett VGT turbo works!
Has anyone noticed that this guy dug out a 5 year old thread with very old information???

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Post Fiend

cartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to allcartmanea is a name known to all
Wow, I wouldn't have posted if I had noticed it was such an old thread.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Posting Guru

Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.Zmann has a good reputation on FTE.
Dang
I thought it smelled funny
Old 01-15-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
What a "waste". Should have closed the "gate" on this thread a few years ago!

2004 Late Build CC LB 4x4 6.0L

"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 01-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
04, 06, 2003, 60, 60l, close, diesels, ford, gate, idle, open, powerstroke, turbo, waste, wastegate, wastegates