Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Automotive Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

General Automotive Discussion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Postmaster

Brian_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
how do dual gas tanks work?

I ran a few searches, but kept getting hundreds of threads. The ones I read were about repairing or troubleshooting them.

I got this crazy idea of putting dual tanks on a truck. I know where to mount both tanks (I think) and which will fit in there (again-I think). More research and final measurements will be needed still. They will have the factory sending units and pumps in them (will be used).

I wanted to find out "how it works" before I go a lot further into research and locating parts.

How do the factory installed one work? My dad's 88 f-150 has a flip switch that goes from one tank to other (gas guage reads whichever tank you are on).

I am guessing both tanks feed into a control valve somewhere? The dash switch controls a relay that moves the valve and changes the electrical circuit to the guage?

Where are these things mounted typically? Anyone have a wiring diagram/fuel circuit diagram or know where I can find one?

Any help would be appreciated. I truly know less than nothing about these.

Thanks everyone,
Brian
Old 12-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Post Fiend

ford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to allford390gashog is a name known to all
both tanks feed into a selector valve . you can flip the switch to select between tanks.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Elder User

okst1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you don't want to screw with the electronics, you could use a valve like the one on my old Bronco. You manually rotate the valve to get gasoline from the tank you want to use.
1994 Explorer
1995 Bronco
2004 Excursion
Old 12-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Postmaster

Brian_B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks guys,

I still don't know how ford has it set up, but I did find a valve at jc whitney (would never use it) after you told me there was such a thing.

Here is the info: <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=530>******** language=javascript src="/media/jcwhitney/jcw/javascript/backToCatalogRFX.js;pvad2581d3e2641e8d" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>
POLLAK® MOTOR-DRIVEN FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE
<DL>For fuel-injected systems operating up to 65 psi. Designed to prevent returning fuel to incorrect tank. Weatherproof fiberglass-reinforced nylon valve body. Valve grounds to frame. Meets or exceeds DOT standards. Fits 3/8" I.D. fuel hose. Recommended fuse: 10 amps. Can be wired so original dash gauge indicates fuel level in either tank. Includes: switch, faceplate, wiring connector, instructions. Hoses not included—order separately. 6-port valve required on vehicles with 3 lines attached to fuel pump. For 12-volt systems. </DL><DL><TABLE class=appChart cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=409 border=0><TBODY><TR class=odd><TD class=tableCell align=middle width=42>Kit</TD><TD class=tableCell align=left width=26>ZX812705U</TD><TD class=tableCellPlain align=middle width=67>$53.99
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</DL>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
If I can find out more about the ford parts/wiring, I guess I will try to find one. My idea is not sounding so crazy now (to me anyway).

Okst1: I remember seeing one like that in an old ford when I was a kid. It seems like it was mounted under the edge (or end) of the seat? A lady ran our of gas on one tank and we almost never got it started again on the other. What memories!

As far as wiring...I hope to transplant a whole EFI system in. If I can do that (I hope I can), the valve will be easy.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Senior User

Neb86 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My '86 (EFI) just relies on which in-tank fuel pump is running. The wiring is in the switch for the pumps and the senders. I don't seem to have a 'selector valve'.

Maybe I'm missing something?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:32 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > General Automotive Discussion

Tags
body, dual, duel, explorer, f250, ford, fuel, gas, how, system, tank, tanks, trucks, valve, work