Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Postmaster

cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
Question What Would Cause a Turn Signal To Flash Quickly?

I just noticed in the last week and a half that both the left and right turn signal lights and associated dash indicaters blink really fast when activated. They used to blink maybe a couple times a second. Now they blink maybe 3 or 4 times a second. Does that indicate that the flasher can on the fuse block is nearing the end of it's life cycle? Nothing has changed on the truck. No new or special bulbs were installed.

Daily Driver 1978 F150
Old 12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Posting Guru

76 F-150 390FE is starting off with a positive reputation.
its the flasher. my hazzard lights look almost like they are staying on they flash so fast, if i take tha flasher off my turn signals and put it on the hazzards they flash normal.

'94 Ranger XLT, 4X4, 4.0, M5OD, 4" suspension

'96 F-350 XLT, 4X4, 460, ZF5, wood hauler
FORD.............. the best never rest
Old 12-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Postmaster

cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.cigarxtc has a great reputation on FTE.
hmmm..Good idea. I haven't tried moving the hazard flasher for testing..sounds easy enough to fix. Guess I'll make a trek to the autoparts store for a new flasher. Hopefully it's only a couple buck fix.

Daily Driver 1978 F150
Old 12-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Senior User

77red4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a similar problem with mine except they would flash normal, then fast, cycling back and forth. I swapped the hazard and turn signal flashers and now they both work just fine.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:34 PM
Posting Guru

jsutton is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Some times when you have a bulb out it causes it to flash faster like that. So you know that its out. But is strange that both sides would do it at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

jason
77 f100
Old 12-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Senior User

f-4x4 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
i with the guy above me
Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 PM
New User

Mil1ion is starting off with a positive reputation.
Too much current draw will cause the quicker flashing.

That's why when you plug trailer lights (more draw) in on a vehicle with a standard flasher installed , one must replace it with a Heavy Duty Flasher. HD-12
Old 12-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Senior User

Purdue Offroader is starting off with a positive reputation.
Too little current will cause it too. They put a circuit in the flasher so that you can tell if you have a burnt out turn signal. I had to modify the fenders on my 99 TJ and only used two of the 4 turn signal lamps, and this caused the quick flash, installing LEDs will cause it too. If this really starts to get to you look up TJ turn signals + LEDs and you should be able to find a link to site that will tell you how to fix the flasher. I'm sure that the flashers should be pretty much the same. But since you didn't do anything to your lights your best bet is to check and make sure all your turn signals work and nothing is messed up w/ your wiring.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:02 PM
New User

Mil1ion is starting off with a positive reputation.
With the Ford TS circuit, if a light filament is damaged, the lights WON'T Flash.The indicator light will just stay on...no blinking.

The GM circuit is the one that lets one bulb flash.

I can't see how a lower draw would cause the flash to increase.

Higher Current draw causes the seperation of the Flasher circuit sooner, That's why when you add Trailer lights the current draw is larger.... causing the bi-metal strip in the flasher to seperate quicker.
A HD flasher has a higher seperation rate than the light duty flasher thus blinks slower with the increased load..
Old 12-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Senior User

77red4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77red4x4
I had a similar problem with mine except they would flash normal, then fast, cycling back and forth. I swapped the hazard and turn signal flashers and now they both work just fine.
Forgot to mention that all the bulbs worked, just flashed fast, then slow, then fast.....has worked fine ever since I swapped flashers.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:20 PM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
Some HD flashers have a third pin for ground so they flash independent of the load.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Senior User

sorry I didn't realize that ford had a different set-up though I should have. I was speaking from experience on my JEEP. There is a seperate circuit INSIDE the flasher that monitors the current draw. If it is not within the preset range (either high OR LOW) it will flash faster.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Posting Guru

fasthauler is starting off with a positive reputation.
The bi-metal tab in the flasher heats up faster anytime the current increases. This causes the flaser speed to increase when hooking up a trailer. I am with dennis I'm not sure how a missing or burn't out bulb could cause the thing to speed up, but anything is possible.

As far as the LED conversion is concerned, the flasher will usually stop completely because the current is so low that the bi-metal tab cannot heat up. There is a solid state flasher that is available to cure this problem. They have been used on RV's for years and can be found in most RV supply houses.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Posting Guru

trinogt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I once replaced the stock rear signals on my motorcycle with smaller lights. The flash was very fast. I needed a resistor in the circuit to get it back to normal flashing speed.

My truck is a Trailer Special, and uses heavy duty flasher relays, mounted under the hood near the ignition module. You can actually hear them click when they are on. Designed to handle a lot of extra light load.
Mark
1998 B2500 2.5 liter OHC
http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...toid=5362&.jpg
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Senior User

its not done through a bimetal tab. Its done through a shunt resistor and internal comparator.......I don't know a whole lot about electronics so I only sorta understand but if you are really interested in it http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/p...ts/doc4727.pdf explains how this type of flasher works.....pin 7 in the lamp out detector. And tringot the resistor is one of the ways to fix the problem but its not usually prefered because the resistor can get really hot
Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1978, bulbs, burn, f150, fast, flash, flasher, flashing, ford, lights, make, quickly, signal, signals, truck, turn, working