Used Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
shorthair
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scatgo
Read this study wmo is on the list as an additive.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_f...ditive_test.pdf

Latter.................
Linky no worky

Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
You will find the link in this post. I just cant seem to get it to work by copy and past..........https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...n-thelist.html

Last edited by scatgo; 01-08-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
borcht warrior
Mountain Pass
Smile

Originally Posted by Dave Barbieri
Well, two weeks ago, I decided to give WMO a try. Here's the results:

As mentioned in my post above, I filled up my front tank Tuesday night with a 50/50 mix of WMO/2D. By Thursday, I had used most of that. I drive a lot of miles, so the potential savings here is pretty big. Friday morning, I refilled with more 50/50. I had driven 307 miles, and it took exactly 18 gallons to bring the fuel level to the rim of the filler neck. 17mpg, pretty much what I get on 2D. So far, so good. Our waste oil tank at the college holds 400 gallons and the oil has had months to settle. When I installed the hand pump, I set the pickup depth at half the tank depth. That way, there'd be no chance of sucking trash, dirt, grit, etc off the bottom of the tank. Also, as a secondary precaution, I changed both of my fuel filters Friday morning.

Friday afternoon, I left work, drove back home (30 miles), picked up our two puppies and headed for the vet's (12 miles). When I got there, I left the engine idling and the AC on. It's kinda warm here in east TX, and I could only take in one dog at a time. Well, came back out for pup #2 and found the engine stalled. Would NOT restart. Marty (Loving Wife) picked up me and the dogs and took us back to the house for tools and spare filters. I spent the next two hours back at the vet's trying to get the truck started.

I have a squeeze bulb-type hand pump installed on the inlet side of the primary filter (Racor 10 micron). I bypassed the primary and used the hand pump to pressurize the secondary filter (Baldwin 4 micron). Pretty hard to do, so I disconnected the supply line from the secondary filter to the back of the IP. This relieved some pressure, but it was still difficult to get fuel to flow thru the secondary filter. I stopped to change out the filters at this point. I disassembled my primary filter. It had clogged and begun to collapse inward. As I started to unscrew the secondary filter from its mount, fuel sprayed everywhere. There was a LOT of pressure built up inside that filter. With the new filters installed, I switched tanks (I kept 10 gallons of fresh 2D in my rear tank) and pumped until clear fuel flowed out of the supply line. I reconnected it to the IP and tried again. Flush, bleed, crank. Flush, bleed, crank. Flush, bleed, crank. Nothing. Pretty frustrating, and now it's getting dark. I disconnected the return line from the top of the IP, and black fuel oozed out of the pump. When I disconnected the rear electrical line from the IP and reconnected it, I would get a little spurt of fuel out of the return fitting. Other than that, no fuel flow thru the pump. At this point, I called it quits and went home. Saturday AM, called a wrecker and had the truck brought to the house. Installed a spare pump that I keep on the shelf, installed new filters, removed, flushed and reinstalled all lines, and that puppy fired right up! I've put 600 miles on it this week running 2D. No problems.

What I've Learned:

Several listers have expressed concern about the acid level in used engine oil. Sulphuric acid is a natural byproduct of combustion and having that flow constantly thru the IP and the injectors raised potential problems for the metals used inside these components. This was my concern also, and I figured that I would watch for accellerated component wear. After about three months of WMO use, my fuel savings would cover the IP and injector replacement, when needed. After that, it would all be gravy. But, it wasn't acid content that nailed me months down the road. It was the particles in the oil. My waste oil had settled and my filtering system would clean down to 4 microns. I wasn't worried. I was wrong. See, not only did the oil have enuff large stuff to clog my primary filter, it had enuff small stuff to clog my secondary filter, AND enuff itty bitty stuff to pack up my IP. Even if I had prefiltered my oil down to 4 microns, my pump would have still clogged. There was so much tiny suspended silt in that oil, that the pump couldn't survive. And that's an amazing thing. So, I saved a little over $60 in fuel costs, spent $80 on a wrecker, $38 on filters, 6 hours on troubleshooting and R&R, and got to explain to my wife just exactly why all of this was necesary.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Yesterday, I received a notice in the mail from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Someone called in a complaint on the amount of smoke coming from my truck's exhaust. Seems like there was a little more than I realized. So now I have to fill out a response form and mail it back to them.

Go back up and read FabMan's last post. WHAT HE SAID!!

Well it was not for a lack of trying... good for you, at least you gave it a try and were man enough to post your findings.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:15 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
The stock Ford fuel filter is a 10 micron filter.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM
dyoungen
Posting Guru
I do have one question. Would there be any differance in using synthetic motor oil vs petrolium based motor oil with Diesel fuel?