Used Motor Oil

Old 07-30-2006, 09:19 AM
shorthair
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm currently running 70% filtered to 2 microns wmo and other than being a little hard to start the first time in the morning & a bit more smoke she seems to run just fine.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 AM
ken1mod
Elder User
I think used motor oil is fine to use in your diesel but I personally would not run 70%. Cummins used to authorize 15%, personally, I would limit wmo to about 30 or 40%.

Ken

Old 08-04-2006, 04:59 PM
battered_bronco
Elder User
so how fine is diesel filtered and treated b4 we get it?
personally given the importance that the filters in a verhickle stay clean, the point to catch any tiny bits that made it in over the change interval, i would of filtered the bejesus out of it before i put it in my verhickle.
pretty sure, from past exp, most petroleums will definately burn

as for brake fluid will it asorb the moisture in the rest of the fuel? would it then pass thru or get stopped by the filters?

Old 08-13-2006, 02:27 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dave Barbieri
So, I saved a little over $60 in fuel costs, spent $80 on a wrecker, $38 on filters, 6 hours on troubleshooting and R&R, and got to explain to my wife just exactly why all of this was necesary.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Yesterday, I received a notice in the mail from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Someone called in a complaint on the amount of smoke coming from my truck's exhaust. Seems like there was a little more than I realized. So now I have to fill out a response form and mail it back to them.

Go back up and read FabMan's last post. WHAT HE SAID!!
Sorry to hear about your problems especially with the External political questioning. I ran a very large hydraulic motor driven press in my operaion about 10 years ago. The motors were to say the least expensive about $100,000 each not counting downtime. We were keeping the filters and fluid clean so we thought and this was very light viscosity hydraulic oil that would easily burn in a diesel. Long story short, we had about $300,000 in failures in the first 2 years of operation. What we found was the NEW oil from the supplier wasn't filtered to a small enough micron size to prevent damage. We then began to filter the NEW oil prior to using to save the very expensive motors. My guess is you ran into the same problem. I would suggest that if you want to try again, to set up 55 gallon drums and do a Pre-filter before you add to your tank. This way you could target to get out a high percentage of contaminantes and not have to depend on the vehicle filter to be the primary catcher agent. Just a thought, great idea and best of luck. Jim

Old 08-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Jim, if I were ever to even THINK about using WMO again, it would be my own oil. Since I have my oil analyzed periodically, I've got a pretty good idea what's in it. Gotta tell ya, tho', my money (and future efforts) are on bioD. No argument about it being great for the engine/injectors/pump, and as I get the process rolling, my fuel costs are gonna drop by about 60% - 70%. At today's fuel costs, my full size 20-year old truck will be getting the equivalent of about 44mpg. Watch out VW!!!

Old 08-27-2006, 06:05 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Way down here in the south our Gov. has seen fit to have us use ethonal vs biodiesel. It isn't even on the radar screen while our Gov is redecorating the Gov Mansion while our famous Mayor comments about NY. Jim

Wish I had BD to run,, :-(

Old 09-25-2006, 11:03 PM
twjull
Junior User
This is by far the most entertaining forum I have ever read... I never would have dreamed it was possible to put wmo in your fuel tank...

Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by twjull
This is by far the most entertaining forum I have ever read... I never would have dreamed it was possible to put wmo in your fuel tank...
Yep, you can.................if you don't mind spending $$$$$ on a new IP, or a new engine

FABMANDELUX.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:14 AM
catbird7
Tuned
Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm sure glad we have people on this forum that are smarter than any of the engineers at Cummins & Caterpillar. Maybe you should send them an email and help those poor illiterate folks out! Also, do a search with Google. Type in used motor oil diesel find articles. I think it's the third article which describes how the US Gov. mixes used motor oil with diesel. Again, these are poorly educated, misguided folks in need of your help!

Old 09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Somebodys needs a valium.........

Old 09-26-2006, 10:47 PM
twjull
Junior User
The are a couple of point about Dave Barbieri story I think were his fatal error. 1) His mixture of 50/50 is way higher than anyone recommends and 2) he was using a 'public' dump to get his wmo from. You have no idea of what kind of &%^%%$$#@ is in the mix. It's one thing to put your own know wmo in and one to take your chance with whatever some has choosen to irresponsibly dump in a recycle bin...

Old 09-27-2006, 02:17 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
I did the wmo once, it still haunt me to this day. I wonder how bad my cylinders wall are because of it. I guess if I was running bio 100 percent of the time and alway had honey colored oil I would try it again. As it is with my new oil filter system I will not have to change my oil in say up to 200000 miles. Its a industrial can that holds an additional 13 quarts and has the biggest 1 micron filter ever seen. Its the size of a air tank for 18 wheelers. But anyway dont even try convincing us to use it, were just complaining about whats happened to us or why we dont like it. Dont get your panties in a bind if others diagree, just do it and pay for your own parts and write praise. As for me, I have more miles on my truck engine then most the guys on this forum at over 469.726 and still going strong.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:55 PM
REFuel
New User
A filtering set-up

I've got a pdf copy of an article that was in 'Farm Show' magazine that explains a fairly simple filtering set-up for wmo. I can't seem to figure out a way to attach it, so if anyone wants a copy, please email me and I'll send the pdf version to you.

www.farmshow.com

vol 30, no 5, pg 29

Old 04-17-2007, 02:30 PM
tx4wd
New User
Originally Posted by REFuel
I've got a pdf copy of an article that was in 'Farm Show' magazine that explains a fairly simple filtering set-up for wmo. I can't seem to figure out a way to attach it, so if anyone wants a copy, please email me and I'll send the pdf version to you.

www.farmshow.com

vol 30, no 5, pg 29
Could you forward that on? I had the FarmShow CD with years worth of articles and it probably had that it in however my CD has since been lost and I haven't ordered another one yet.

Thnx.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Read this study wmo is on the list as an additive.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_f...ditive_test.pdf

Latter.................

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used Motor Oil