Used Motor Oil

Old 04-29-2006, 05:39 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to hear that Dave. I've tried to warn everybody, I've had enough oil samples run to not want any of it in my diesels!

Maybe Cookie could put a sticky up with your post in it to warn others before the try it? How about it cookie?

FABMANDELUX.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Maybe Cookie could put a sticky up with your post in it to warn others before the try it? How about it cookie?
Yeah. Title it: Don't Do This At Home, Kids! We're Trained Professionals!

(snort!)

Ya know, it seemed like such a perfect setup. The Auto Tech facility at the college was built 5 years ago and the supply tank/waste oil tank system was installed then. It's never been emptied because it's never been full enough to require it. (The maintenance guys find LOTS of uses for old motor oil!) After five years, the tank is only about 3/4's full. This means that most of the oil has had a LONG time to settle. What could be better?

On top of that, I'm a big believer in high quality, high volume, low micron filters. I've got 'em. The thing that just blew me away was the fact that my filters were basically useless! The IDI pumps are very forgiving - they can easily handle stuff in the 8 micron range. I'm filtering to half that. Sorta like a skinny guy walking thru a wide gate. There never should have been a problem! All I can figure is that the 'metal mush' content of that oil must have been so high that it was more like twenty skinny guys trying to run thru the gate at the same time. If this is true, then it blows away the 'let it settle out' concept. I'll know more after the pump folks go thru my IP. They've been building pumps for me for over 15 years now. They do excellent work and I trust their observations and opinions. I just hate taking this thing in. I'm NEVER gonna hear the end of it. I've been twisting wrenches for almost thirty years - a big chunk of that on big yellow toys. Mark and Shane (the pump gurus) are gonna have a GREAT time with this.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:01 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Maybe you should ask the guys if they would take pics of the damaged parts so you could post them? I've been wrenching and building "stuff" for 40 years so I know where your coming from.

I've got a pick-up at my shop from a local that thought he didn't have to heat WVO...........you would'nt believe what it did to the cyl bores!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Maybe you should ask the guys if they would take pics of the damaged parts so you could post them?
Good idea. I'll post pics and their comments on what they see. (Of course, I'll leave out technical jargon such as 'dumb*ss', etc.) It'll be later this summer before I do that. I'm kinda in the hole from this experiment. Ah well, back to work on the Appleseed.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:50 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
Gentlemen,

I REPEAT: Cummins used to authorize 15% NOT 50% wmo in their diesels. Don't be piggish, if you stick to more or less 15% you will never have a problem!!!

Ken

Old 04-29-2006, 09:16 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ken1mod
Gentlemen,

I REPEAT: Cummins used to authorize 15% NOT 50% wmo in their diesels. Don't be piggish, if you stick to more or less 15% you will never have a problem!!!

Ken
I don't care if it was 5 percent......................NOT IN MY DIESELS!!!!!

FABMANDELUX.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:34 AM
1969fordguy
Senior User
Thanks for your excellent report on the WMO experiment, Dave.

Old 05-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1969fordguy
Thanks for your excellent report on the WMO experiment, Dave.
No sweat. It was a pleasure.

OK, seriously, it was actually a massive pain in the butt, and I should have known better. This what happens when greed and stupidity collide.

For those listers that are successfully using WMO (in whatever percentage), I say 'More power to ya!'. They're reducing their fuel bill and our independence on somebody else's oil. For me, that independence will be thru vegetable oil/bioD. As I learned last weekend, I don't have the filtering equipment on my truck or in my shop to safely prep WMO for use as a fuel.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 PM
BOB ROSS
Junior User
DAVE, thanks for the info on the wmo, i myself have been usein around 5to10% for the past year and have had no problems (yet) I may end up sorry later on down the road, but I do prefilter before I ever put it in the tank. your report to your experiment has made me think long and hard about continuing the use of wmo. thanks for posting your pain and hard work.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 PM
6.9supercab
Freshman User
Very INTRESTING subject!!!! Been wondering HOW to cut down costs at the pump.
If somone could give a list of oil to diesel ratio (I am new to diesel) How to mix or
do you just add the used oil directly to the tank? Keep on with subjects like this,
I'll Never leave this stupid computer!!! Major input!!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 07:11 PM
ken1mod
Elder User
Cummins used to authorize up to 15% wmo. I believe they stopped due to political correctness scare. that is 3 gallons to 20 of diesel. not even noticeable. It used to be considerred pump lubrication and good for the motor,

Ken

Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can believe that Cummins would allow 15% for new motor oil, but assuming that Dave's experiment was not a fluke I find it difficult to imagine that they would have ever condoned the use of waste oil.

Not sure why it took me a month and a half to see that post....but this thread is stuck now. Shoot me a PM if I don't reply to a post, I don't intentionally ignore anybody.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:26 AM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several listers have expressed concern about the acid level in used engine oil. Sulphuric acid is a natural byproduct of combustion and having that flow constantly thru the IP and the injectors raised potential problems for the metals used inside these components. This was my concern also, and I figured that I would watch for accellerated component wear. After about three months of WMO use, my fuel savings would cover the IP and injector replacement, when needed. After that, it would all be gravy. But, it wasn't acid content that nailed me months down the road. It was the particles in the oil. My waste oil had settled and my filtering system would clean down to 4 microns. I wasn't worried. I was wrong. See, not only did the oil have enuff large stuff to clog my primary filter, it had enuff small stuff to clog my secondary filter, AND enuff itty bitty stuff to pack up my IP. Even if I had prefiltered my oil down to 4 microns, my pump would have still clogged. There was so much tiny suspended silt in that oil, that the pump couldn't survive. And that's an amazing thing. So, I saved a little over $60 in fuel costs, spent $80 on a wrecker, $38 on filters, 6 hours on troubleshooting and R&R, and got to explain to my wife just exactly why all of this was necesary.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Yesterday, I received a notice in the mail from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. Someone called in a complaint on the amount of smoke coming from my truck's exhaust. Seems like there was a little more than I realized. So now I have to fill out a response form and mail it back to them.

Go back up and read FabMan's last post. WHAT HE SAID!!
quoted

Im pretty sure thats what finally took out my fuel pump weekbeforelast. I tried it before you did. 325.00 in fuel pump, 40 or so in filters, stranded on the side of the road, priceless. Now whats next for the next guy, WTF= waste tranny fluid?

<!-- / message --><!-- no sigs except when logged in -->

Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Dave Barbieri
Senior User
Originally Posted by kennedyford
Im pretty sure thats what finally took out my fuel pump weekbeforelast. I tried it before you did. 325.00 in fuel pump, 40 or so in filters, stranded on the side of the road, priceless. Now whats next for the next guy, WTF= waste tranny fluid?
Actually, what's next is whatever seems to save LOTS of money. Folks are desparate to believe that they can run their vehicles on 40cents per gfallon, and that it takes no effort or investment to do so.

WTF = waste tranny fluid? So THAT'S what WTF stands for!!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:29 AM
ajf99ford
Junior User
I haven't yet, but I'm going with the strait Vegestable Oil through heated lines in a seperate tank in the bed. It just seems alot more safer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
although I would love to try WMO, this whole conversation has me torn and scared to try it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used Motor Oil