Used Motor Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob,

The poster named 94_turbo's post suggest that he is running 100% wmo.

I think your tanks are about 18 and 20 gallons so your in about the 25% to about 33% range with your blend. In that range you are seeing some real savings on fuel cost.

I would be interested in hearing the results from the jar experiment if you get around to doing it.

Have you found any non ferrous metal partials in your filter element or is the bed sheet method working well enough to get out those metals that the magnet won't catch?

Gene

Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 AM
BOB ROSS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gene,

I have not had time to do the jar mix experiment yet, but i will soon and i will post the results and i can email them to you, i will take some pics. of this experiment and the filtering setup i have and send them to you if you would like. as the non ferrous metal partials in the sheet go, I have not check that closely, most of the time i give the quick once over and that's about it, you've made me start thinking about it and i plan to check the sheet with more detail. do you run any alt. fuels? if you have any ideas on this subject or the setup i have going on here I'm open to all and any input.
-painter bob

Old 02-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Gene W
Elder User
Thanks for the additional info Bob. I would appreciate hearing from you about your test results and seeing your pictures.

I don't currently use any alternative fuels, but I have been looking into bio diesel production.

I begin to wonder about various forms of oil as fuel a few years ago when my brother ran a U-Haul diesel truck out of fuel in the middle of the night. The gauge was not working in it for some reason, so he called U-haul for emergency road service and they sent a local road service contractor out to get him started. The guy opened the fuel filter up and filled it with transmission fluid and said it worked better for restarting a diesel that had run out of fuel than diesel fuel and that it was better for the injectors and pump. Latter when I bought my own diesel I began to wonder if all of that oil that I haul away every year couldn't be put to use as fuel. I thought it would take a more complicated process along the lines of making bio diesel. I was excited to see people were already doing it with nothing more than filtering the used oil as well as possible and finding the right mix ratio.

I had a few more thoughts on the wmo. Does it have any effect on gelling of diesel fuel, either positive or negative? Can any wastes oil product from automobiles be used? I guess I already know the answer on transmission fluid but what about brake fluid or hydraulic fluid from other sources besides automotive? I feel sure these fluids would burn, but are there any additives in them that might be harmful? I also wonder about the effect on tailpipe emissions, not so much for myself but I would like to see if I can get my friend at the county shop to experiment with burning wmo and that would be a likely concern for him.

Gene

Old 02-07-2006, 03:46 PM
BOB ROSS
Junior User
Gene,

let me be straight with you, my knowledge fuels and oils is very limited so all i can tell you are things that I have worked with and experimented with and the results.
so far I have not had trouble with gelling while run wmo/diesel mix... but I live in columbus georgia and the coldest that it's been this year has been around 25 and 30 maybe 5 times. now as far as brake fluid goes I would say no. have you seen what it will do to the paint on a car? I maybe wrong about the brake fluid. i have no clue on the hydraulic fluid. for the emissions part on wmo I'm sure that you will not beable to past emissions test. i will have to get back to you later on.

Old 02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Bob,

Good point about the brake fluid. I suppose it would give your engine a good cleaning though!

I will have to check with my buddy and see if they dispose of brake fluid and hydraulic fluid through the same system as the oil is in.

If I can talk him into experimenting with burning the wmo, he may be able to give us some feedback on the emissions. They have some stationary generators that are running on recovered methane from landfills so they may be interested in other alternative fuel ideas.

Our climate is about the same in Birmingham as your, so I should be ok regarding gelling.

Gene

Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 PM
roamer37
Senior User
you might want to rethink the brake fluid thoughts, Brake fluid is water based not hydrocarbon

Old 02-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Roamer37,

Is it really, I didn't know that. What about other hydraulic fluids? Are they water based too? I was only kidding about the engine cleaning but I suspect that some of the larger shops that have a lube pit might mix their brake fluid and other hydraulic fluids into their waste oil collection.

I will check with my friend and see if they collect it separately at the county shop.

Gene

Old 02-08-2006, 06:59 PM
dillehay
Senior User
Brake fluid is not water based but it does have an afinity for moisture, which means it is always absorbing moisture when exposed to the air. Thats why you sould never use brake fluid from an open container. Newer brake fluid is silicone but still absorbs moisture, the same is true with hydraulic fluids, although not at the same rate conventional brake fluid does. Also brake fluid is nasty and strong enough to remove paint it is not a good idea to run anything but pure engine oil as a alternate fuel. Also check into vegtable oil conversions that is a proven system.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 PM
pauls painting
Senior User
i have ran straight wmo for 6 months in 94 7.3 turbo with no ill effects . 13000 miles . strain it through t shirt 2 fuel filters on truck . it gets er done and i drive for free 80 percent of the time....................no brake or hydraulc fluid ever!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 PM
dillehay
Senior User
Automatic Transmission Fluid does work well mixed with diesel 1 quart per 25 gallons keeps the injectors clean along with providing extra lubrication to the injector pump. In Iraq our Hummers would vapor lock because of the heat and I found that this stopped that along with improving overall performance

Old 02-08-2006, 08:58 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts dillehay.

Old 02-09-2006, 09:42 AM
Gene W
Elder User
dillehay,

Good points. In the story I mentioned earlier about my brother's U-Haul experience, I suppose you could say that it was running on 100% trans fluid, or close to it, for a short period of time.

I've been searching the web for wmo information and I came across a company that seals furnaces and boilers that run on filtered waste motor oil. They said that wmo, trans fluid and hydraulic fluid were all suitable fuels for their equipment.

I don't know what I was thinking when someone posted that brake fluid was water based, brain fade I guess. It is hygroscopic, in that it has a great affinity for water, but I'm not sure what standard DOT 3 or 4 are actually made from or why it removes paint as it does. I don't know if hydraulic fluid has those same properties or not, but the waste oil furnace people say you can burn it.

Gene

Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
I did the used motor oil thing before I knew everthing. Ha ha....bad idea and headaches it did cause my young Jedi.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:59 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What sort of headaches did it cause? What makes it a bad idea?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:16 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cookie88
What makes it a bad idea?
There is all kinds of "nasties" in wmo, like heavy metals, and acids from combustion that NO amount of filtering will remove. A trucking Co I used to work for did regular "oil sampling". The reports we got were amazing with what was in them. No way would I ever put that in MY engine. FABMANDELUX.

Quick Reply: Used Motor Oil