1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Edelbrock valve covers/302 Ford motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:41 AM
delaney
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edelbrock valve covers/302 Ford motor

Would like to purchase a set of Edelbrock Classic aluminum valve covers for a 302 motor I have installed in my 53 F100. Summit lists the covers for 1960 - 1985 motors. The motor I have is a 1988 that I changed from injection to carburetion. I am quite sure the covers will bolt up OK, however it looks like there is no provision for a PVC and a oil filler hole. Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks

Old 12-28-2005, 11:07 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The valve covers will fit on any year 302, the valve covers have a knock out tab that you can punch out for the PVC hose or oil intake. (you can see what I'm talking about from the inside of the valve cover) Then just purchase a rubber boot that fits in the hole and your good to go. For your information, there are two types of Edelbrock valve covers. The older style (which everyone wants) has the rounded edges. The newer style has squared off edges. Check ebay.com, you may get lucky. Good luck.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speedway also carries a variety of older looking style valve covers if you are interested.

I had to do what imlowr2 suggested for my 400. Only difference is, I had to order the tall valve covers from Ford SVO to clear my roller rockers. I had to cringe when I took a hole saw to those nice expensive valve covers.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
53- I'm running the taller Motorsports on my 302 also for the same reasons. I bought mine used but they didn't have any holes. When you break out or punch the hole out, it sure doesn't look like a round hole?????? I had to use a hand grinder to smooth them out. I do understand what your saying though >>>>>LOL..... I've seen on ebay they have a set of smooth or ball milled tall covers which look really nice for about $55.00

Old 12-29-2005, 09:24 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by imlowr2
53- I'm running the taller Motorsports on my 302 also for the same reasons. I bought mine used but they didn't have any holes. When you break out or punch the hole out, it sure doesn't look like a round hole?????? I had to use a hand grinder to smooth them out. I do understand what your saying though >>>>>LOL..... I've seen on ebay they have a set of smooth or ball milled tall covers which look really nice for about $55.00
I hear ya about the "round" hole. I ended up using my dremel tool to make it a bit better. The nice thing was, the rubber grommet I put in them for my PCV and air breather, took out the slop and covered up my handywork