6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hypertech VS. Superchips VS. EDGE

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 10:58 PM
blong
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Hypertech VS. Superchips VS. EDGE

I hate to post this but any thoughts, I've been looking at the Edge Platinum, I wonder where it falls

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/video_page.php?vid=21#<O
Hypertech VS. Superchips VS. EDGE in the real world on highway testing?<O

Old 12-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
I love it when they do their own "unbiased" testing.

LOL

Old 12-28-2005, 09:01 AM
juniorf350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Vic_Ferrari
I love it when they do their own "unbiased" testing.

LOL

Old 12-28-2005, 12:50 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Speaking from experience here, I'd wait for the Hypertech Power Programmer III or the Hyperpac. Both of which will work on the '03-'05 6.0l's.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 PM
blong
Freshman User
Except i don't want anything that writes to the computer

Old 12-28-2005, 12:54 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Personally, I'd steer clear of the Edge. Buddy of mine had one on his Dodge and it he hated it.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by blong
Except i don't want anything that writes to the computer
Writing to the computer is really the best way to go (as long as it can go back to stock).

Inline devices leave more obvious traces (in many cases the trained eye can tell hardware was installed/uninstalled where a flash set back to stock leaves no physical evidence.), and come with drivability and shifting problems.

Flash is definitely the way to go.

I think Hypertech finally realized everyone was walking all over them and squeezed more power out of the stroke?

Time will tell.

The unfortunate thing about Hypertech is they have no "calibrations" department.
The engineers do the tuning.
I could get into many reasons why this is not ideal, but I won't =o)

Their new tuning might be good? Dunno, but it's doubtful they have any type of extended RPM range...

Hey....congrats to them for at least getting in the league of the other programmers!

Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
Yes. Yes they did. On a 2400lb dyno roller (too light for our trucks), the truck layed down 379HP/612TQ. All that power with no towing restrictions. This was with the Power Programmer III. Have not dyno'd it yet with the Hyperpac.

Not sure what you mean by a "Calibrations" department, but I know the guy that writes the tunes for them. Does all the dyno time with them fine tuning engine and tranny curves.

New tuning...IMHO, EXCELLENT!! As for an extended RPM range? Not quite sure what you mean there either.

You'll guys will love them once they finally hit the market!! You DEFINATELY will not be disappointed. Leaps and bounds better than the Diablosport that I used to use.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by resqdawg3
Yes. Yes they did. On a 2400lb dyno roller (too light for our trucks), the truck layed down 379HP/612TQ. All that power with no towing restrictions. This was with the Power Programmer III. Have not dyno'd it yet with the Hyperpac.

Not sure what you mean by a "Calibrations" department, but I know the guy that writes the tunes for them. Does all the dyno time with them fine tuning engine and tranny curves.

New tuning...IMHO, EXCELLENT!! As for an extended RPM range? Not quite sure what you mean there either.

You'll guys will love them once they finally hit the market!! You DEFINATELY will not be disappointed. Leaps and bounds better than the Diablosport that I used to use.
The superchips tuner makes power well past 4200 RPM.

The Predator is done by 3600 RPM (like a stock truck, torque reduction kicks in and limits power).

Hypertechs new product????
Dunno yet....

With the Superchips and SCT products ,the extended powerband makes the truck stronger, shift less, and a hell of a lot more fun.

As far as I know, this is still an exclusive to Superchips and SCT.
Chris J. and I worked on this in the 6.0 pioneer days, and no one else had the cajones (or know how?) to run the extended power band.

It would be hard to imagine any tuning product shifting better than the superchips (SCMT 1704-1706 and flashpaq) because so much time went into it's development, testing with all programs, loaded and unloaded, on the dyno, street and in/out of tow/haul mode.

Last edited by Vic_Ferrari; 12-28-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
they never said anything about EGT's.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:26 PM
resqdawg3
Senior User
At WOT up to 100mph, MAX EGT I have seen is 1100F. I also have a 4" Catless, mufflerless exhaust. That will help too.

That's some good info to know though Vic! Thanks! Lemme check with my guy at Hypertech and see what he says about it. I'll post when I know more. Should be sometime tomorrow afternoon or so.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:25 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vic_Ferrari
With the Superchips and SCT products ,the extended powerband makes the truck stronger, shift less, and a hell of a lot more fun.
It also makes it untouchable at the track

I quite freqently wonder if you and CJ are the only ones not too STUBBORN to use that approach. Most everyone else is still stuck on the "diesels don't need revs" mentality

Old 12-28-2005, 09:04 PM
WWBeast
Elder User
ya i dunno you can do all the testing in the world but when it boils down to it, its all about personal pref. Get what you like be happy have fun with it. And if u find out later that theres some other product makin 15 more hp or a newer one is out, dont worry about it be happy with what ya have.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Industrial_dude
Elder User
good point WWbeast

I think im done spending money on my truck, you can never have the newest and latest stuff, unless its free but whats ever free? besides im starting to get bored of it anyway. I need something else to keep me amused. Ill just wait for the 6.4 or possibly a sports car heh who knows.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Vic_Ferrari
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PSD 60L Fx4
It also makes it untouchable at the track

I quite freqently wonder if you and CJ are the only ones not too STUBBORN to use that approach. Most everyone else is still stuck on the "diesels don't need revs" mentality
My philospphy is: "If it can make safe power over a broader range, DO IT!"
This is only simple logic!

If it makes power to 3600 RPM, but can continue to make more and still have high HP numbers at 4200 RPM without affecting the low RPM range, let it spin!....it's just gonna be faster and more fun.

The problem is, extending the RPM range properly is difficult (of course, once you've done it, it's easy). It requires changes to MANY maps and normalizers to be done properly, where some people would rather do a one or two map tune and be done with it.

The information is out there at this point...enough people have tuned files.
SCT dealers have them, anyone whos hacked a 1704 or Excal has them...

At this point I don't think it's lack of know-how, it's lack of desire.

I fought this same battle with the cummins and won that one.
In stock form it stops making power at 3,000 RPM. Dead, nothing after that.
It's all torque reduction, rev limiters, de-rates and all kinds of programming brick walls designed to NOT let the truck make more power.
It derates if your powerbraking it, it derates in the rain, it derates when it's the 3rd week from the new moon, but only on days that end in "Y".....

After some tuning, it made 440 HP/925 ft lbs at the tire and over 750 ft lbs at 3600 RPM. 3600 RPM. And it can STILL make power past 4k.

"Don't rev it past 3k, theres no power there".

Right.

Sounds like an excuse for a not-so-studious tuner who wants a peak number he can brag about.

It's easy to bring the peak up, but the nitty gritty is in the details.
The extended range dows nothing for the advertised peak HP number, but does a hell of a lot on the street.

There is obviously going to be a safe limit for every engine, but if 4200 RPM wasn't ok for the 6.0, we'd know for sure by now, LOL.

Last edited by Vic_Ferrari; 12-28-2005 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Hypertech VS. Superchips VS. EDGE