1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Reoccuring Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:46 AM
drunkcaballo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reoccuring Starter Problems

I had over 175k on my stock starter in my 87 Ranger (2.9L) before it went out and then replaced it with a rebuilt one from a local auto parts store...that went out about 6 months later and I got a new (not rebuilt...and luckily lifetime warranty so I can keep bringing them back for nothing) Autolite one from Schmucks and that went out and Im now my 2nd one of those. Seeing how this is happening Im assuming Im not getting bad starters, but the problem lies elsewhere. The starter will work great when I first put it in the truck. A couple months later when I crank the engine it will grind on the flywheel like it is not fully engaging. Eventually it will not engage at all and when I turn the key you can hear the starter spinning, but it is not engaged at all. I rebuilt the engine about 8k ago and had the flywheel out and all teeth are there and were in good shape, so nothing of that sort is causing it...Im thinking it is something electrical but am not an expert in this area. Any ideas where to start or what to look for???

Old 01-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Hmmm, You've been having this problem I guess around the time you had the engine rebuilt. It's not very common to go though so many starters. Staters usually burn out from cranking a long time or forcing exsessivly when cranking. Do you suppose maybe something from the rebuild was done that would put extra strain on the starter, thus making it burn out a few months after installation.

Madmike33

Old 01-05-2006, 10:30 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Well two things come to mind.

When you removed the first starter, did it have a "spacer" or "shim" thats needed for proper bendix engaugement, that maybe you forgot to reuse, or didn't see & maybe left on the old one????

The second one is, maybe your power cables from the battery, are coroded inside the connectors, such that your getting enough voltage drop, that the starter is having to work extra hard, or isn't getting enough to do it's thing.

So, why not run this puppy by your favorite autoparts store & let them check the starters current draw & voltage drop through the cables, in the vehicle, with their portable electrical system tester.

If there is an electrical system poblem, it should be able to sniff it out.

If all that checks out ok, contact your Ford dealers parts department & see if your model engines starter, has a metal shim/spacer specified for the starter.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
Originally Posted by pawpaw

maybe your power cables from the battery, are coroded inside the connectors, such that your getting enough voltage drop, that the starter is having to work extra hard, or isn't getting enough to do it's thing.

So, why not run this puppy by your favorite autoparts store & let them check the starters current draw & voltage drop through the cables, in the vehicle, with their portable electrical system tester.
Good call, I like the way you think.

Madmike33

Old 01-05-2006, 01:46 PM
drunkcaballo
New User
I cleaned the battery terminals and cables, and ended up replacing the starter relay (solenoid?), which did show some signs of corrosion. I did some further reading and called up Napa and got a new one for 20 bucks while I was messing with it. After it was all put back together it seems to start stronger (sounded like it had more amps)...i believe the relay was the cause as the terminals were recently cleaned/replaced this august when I put a new engine in the truck. So for now its fixed...Ill post back if its not...thanks for the help/ideas.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:52 PM
drunkcaballo
New User
Originally Posted by Madmike33
Hmmm, You've been having this problem I guess around the time you had the engine rebuilt.
Madmike33
The problem started I would guess 2 years ago. The rebuild was done about 5 months ago. I used a long block from Evergreen motors. The flywheel was resurfaced and I also put a new clutch in at the time. Those were the main things done to it. The truck has had several problems coinciding that I have been working through as it gets older. Ive just about replaced/rebuilt about everything on the truck at this point. (I could probable call it an 2005 Ford Ranger STX with a 1987 Body kit!) I love this truck. My dad purchased it brand new. I was 3 years old when he got it and one of my earliest memories was going down to the dealer to pick it up. I was fortunate enough to be able to buy it from them about 5 years ago.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Madmike33
Elder User
What can I say, I completely understand what you are saying. my 92 has had its share of trouble along the years, and I can also say my truck is practically a new one. Just today I re-routed new brake lines, Front to back. It was to the point you fix one section and then another one goes, so I went to town with new brake lines all over.

I had a mysterious starter problem myself this past fall. Turns out it was rot/corrosion in the main wiring between battery/relay/starter.

For now it runs like a champ, and I love my 92.

Good luck to you.

Madmike33